Need some sub advice - Page 9 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Audio (and aftermarket electronics) This is your place for alarms, remote starters, to brag about your system, exaggerate your db levels, or simply ask questions for stock or aftermarket audio. No Flames! (except from roasted amps)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #81
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
04MonteLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04MonteLS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor660 View Post
Whats the face for MONTE?
Just trying to follow you....I read the post again when you suggested that he resin the corners of his sealed box and didn't see anything in that post about routing the corners to "bullnose" them. So when you said you were talking about bullnosing the corners later in the paragraph I was like WTF cause I didn't see you talking about that in that post at all. So that smilie was the best representation of the look on my face when you said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerevolution View Post
I'm trading the Hifonics amp on Monday for an Alpine MPR1000, and IDQ'* > IDs.

On a side note, I'm also trading the 15" Hifonics sub and box for a mint Alpine R12 and a Kicker zx450.2
Yeah! That amp is gonna be perfect for your new subs, very clean power, even though it'* lower in overall power output than the HiFonics it'* definitely an upgrade.

My system is 3 way active, yours is passive. I have so much more control over not only the mids and highs but also the subs as well so you might have the better product (at least as far as subs) but my system utilizes it'* power more efficiently and is dialed in way tighter than you could dial in yours so when it comes to SQ you got some catching up to do

This is a good week for you, first you get some IDQ10'* for $200 shipped, now you're trading a HiFonics amp for an Alpine V-Power amp, and then trading a 15" HiFonics sub for a 12" Type R and a Kicker VX450.2 You my man, are the master and finding and pulling off deals
04MonteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #82
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Couldn't have done it without you buddy!
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #83
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

almost as good of deals as i came across a lil while back. lol. Getting a new CD player monday! Pioneer Premier with Organic El display and 4v preouts. There is nothing higher in my book than Pioneer Premier decks.

I want to hear those ID'*
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #84
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
04MonteLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04MonteLS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor660 View Post
almost as good of deals as i came across a lil while back. lol. Getting a new CD player monday! Pioneer Premier with Organic El display and 4v preouts. There is nothing higher in my book than Pioneer Premier decks.

I want to hear those ID'*
I love my Pioneer Premier P880PRS
04MonteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #85
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

Ive used Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse, JVC ect ect ect... and Pioneer just is incredible. U can set crossovers for front, rear and preouts. set differant soundstages, ect ect ect.
My last HU if u turned down the bass to the interior speakers it also turns down the bass for the preouts so my subs got quiter. what i stupid design.
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #86
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: East Moline, IL
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rmac694203 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04MonteLS View Post
I love my Pioneer Premier P880PRS
Nice unit.

I like Pioneers but mine has the stupid Pico Fuse issue. Did a rig-up job and grounded the RCAs but it still gets a small amount of engine noise sometimes. Really pisses me off but I can't afford a new HU right now. I'd like to get one that will let me do 3-way active instead of using my amp'* x-overs. I almost bought the Alpine 9887 a while back for cheap but I really like using USB thumb drives for music and you can't do it with that unit (or at least without some dumb module).
rmac694203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #87
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
04MonteLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04MonteLS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor660 View Post
Ive used Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse, JVC ect ect ect... and Pioneer just is incredible. U can set crossovers for front, rear and preouts. set differant soundstages, ect ect ect.
My last HU if u turned down the bass to the interior speakers it also turns down the bass for the preouts so my subs got quiter. what i stupid design.
Every brand has head units like that, even Pioneer. If you think you like what you have now, wait till you step up to something like the P880PRS or better, there'* so much stuff you can change settings wise it'll make your head spin. Let'* start with the dual 16-band EQ......i'm getting dizzy already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac694203 View Post
Nice unit.

I like Pioneers but mine has the stupid Pico Fuse issue. Did a rig-up job and grounded the RCAs but it still gets a small amount of engine noise sometimes. Really pisses me off but I can't afford a new HU right now. I'd like to get one that will let me do 3-way active instead of using my amp'* x-overs. I almost bought the Alpine 9887 a while back for cheap but I really like using USB thumb drives for music and you can't do it with that unit (or at least without some dumb module).
I like you, you know your sh*t and have good taste in equipment. I have the dreaded Pico fuse issue too so I feel your pain, but I have to admit that it was my fault that it even happened. One day shortly after I installed wire pants and banana plugs for the speaker wire going in to my sub box I noticed the bass was going in and out (randomly not working) on one of my subs so when I got home I started to wire up each sub directly and independently to the amp to figure out which one was cutting out. The problem is that I left the system playing while I was doing so and when I was removing the speaker wire from the amp I accidentally touched the screwdriver I was using to the case of the amp while it was still touching the speaker terminal Shorted that damn Pico fuse out with the quickness.

I have been planning on doing the rca ground trick but have heard alot of people say it doesn't cure it 100% in all cases. I can't have anything but 100% so I think I just need to bite the bullet and get a new head unit, and that would be the 9887 Doesn't bother me about the usb thing cause I use an iPod. Plus it can run active, which now that i've experienced it with my current deck I've realized I can't go without it.
04MonteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #88
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: East Moline, IL
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rmac694203 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04MonteLS View Post
I like you, you know your sh*t and have good taste in equipment. I have the dreaded Pico fuse issue too so I feel your pain, but I have to admit that it was my fault that it even happened. One day shortly after I installed wire pants and banana plugs for the speaker wire going in to my sub box I noticed the bass was going in and out (randomly not working) on one of my subs so when I got home I started to wire up each sub directly and independently to the amp to figure out which one was cutting out. The problem is that I left the system playing while I was doing so and when I was removing the speaker wire from the amp I accidentally touched the screwdriver I was using to the case of the amp while it was still touching the speaker terminal Shorted that damn Pico fuse out with the quickness.

I have been planning on doing the rca ground trick but have heard alot of people say it doesn't cure it 100% in all cases. I can't have anything but 100% so I think I just need to bite the bullet and get a new head unit, and that would be the 9887 Doesn't bother me about the usb thing cause I use an iPod. Plus it can run active, which now that i've experienced it with my current deck I've realized I can't go without it.
LoL. I did the EXACT same thing to mine. I don't remember exactly what I was doing, but I touched the screwdriver to the amp case and had CRAZY noise after that. It was un-listenable (is that a word?). I pretty much had no choice but to try the RCA grounding and it worked good enough for me. I only notice the noise when my radio is turned almost all the way down. When it'* turned up it'* fine. Although, I feel like I get some kind of distortion or dirty sound sometimes but not sure if it'* an issue with my HU, or possibly my MP3s, although I try to only use stuff that is 256/320 or higher.

What I really wish I could do is get some better midbass out of my components. I've read that the Type X comps had pretty good midbass, but mine seems pretty weak. I have them surface mounted to the door panel (like the factory speakers are) but I felt that it was too flimsy. So, on my one door I used a MDF speaker ring on the backside, packed a bunch of clay around it to deaden it, and fiberglassed the back of the panel. I guess it helped some, but it still seems kind of weak. I may fool around with my connections more, try to reverse phase here and there and see if that helps at all. Right now it'* not such a huge deal because in my current box my sub plays the higher bass stuff pretty well, but if my comps played better lower then I would tune my sub a bit lower and play the low stuff better.
rmac694203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #89
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
04MonteLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04MonteLS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac694203 View Post
LoL. I did the EXACT same thing to mine. I don't remember exactly what I was doing, but I touched the screwdriver to the amp case and had CRAZY noise after that. It was un-listenable (is that a word?). I pretty much had no choice but to try the RCA grounding and it worked good enough for me. I only notice the noise when my radio is turned almost all the way down. When it'* turned up it'* fine. Although, I feel like I get some kind of distortion or dirty sound sometimes but not sure if it'* an issue with my HU, or possibly my MP3s, although I try to only use stuff that is 256/320 or higher.

What I really wish I could do is get some better midbass out of my components. I've read that the Type X comps had pretty good midbass, but mine seems pretty weak. I have them surface mounted to the door panel (like the factory speakers are) but I felt that it was too flimsy. So, on my one door I used a MDF speaker ring on the backside, packed a bunch of clay around it to deaden it, and fiberglassed the back of the panel. I guess it helped some, but it still seems kind of weak. I may fool around with my connections more, try to reverse phase here and there and see if that helps at all. Right now it'* not such a huge deal because in my current box my sub plays the higher bass stuff pretty well, but if my comps played better lower then I would tune my sub a bit lower and play the low stuff better.
Well at least i'm not the only one But I assure you I won't ever do that again!

Yeah, that noise is absolutely hideous. Here'* the video I made a while back of mine.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea33ArsESrw[/YT]

So in essence, are your mids in a sealed pod?
04MonteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #90
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

I did the same thing! But mine doesnt whine to bad, actually until i read what u guys said, i thought my amps internal fan just got a little louder. I grounded the positive cable to the amp chassis with a screwdriver on accident and now have a little whine
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New sub.. Biggest sub ever!!!!!!!!!! No joke! Check this out!!!!! raptor660 Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 18 07-08-2011 08:29 PM
Need some advice on some readings from my car. OLDsman105 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 12 08-01-2006 07:20 PM
Sub advice Garb Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 9 03-03-2004 10:57 PM
Advice on Sub setup Stunna187 Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 18 06-24-2003 08:45 AM
I need some advice about Transmission coolers Jrios 2000-2005 4 02-03-2003 04:13 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.