Mortehl's Performance Buildup - Page 3 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #21
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 19,756
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1993 SLE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMACHOGERACHO
kicka** list. one concern, is the 3" exhaust a bit excessive? i thought i heard that 3" will cost you torque, even on an L67. perhaps im wrong.
depends on the mods....and he is only gonna do it IF it actually has a gain
1993 SLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #22
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Morty Morty Morty....first off...I've written some of this a little harshly to push a point across. All is meant as a friend and fellow clubber that wants to see you succeed and be happy with the outcome and not kill yourself in the process or afterward.

With those low gears you won't be burning them up across country. You'll be redlining the tack in 4th at 70mph. (Speculation...calculation should be done before you do it)

You won't need to worry about hitting 128mph or anything like that...you'll be redlining.

Exhaust...Willwren is pushing a lot of exhaust...far as I know all he'* done is cat and muffler. You shouldn't be able to outflow the piping. Plus..you better research that regarding changing power etc...sizing can really bite you hard.

Rockers/Cam..get a definate before doing it...People are asking..because it'* ugly when anything like that goes bad because you didn't check it 100 times.

LSD..you rotten egg..I hear you got a killer deal. Enjoy the semi lock and harder steering at every NY corner.

What is a reinforced valve spring? I've never heard of them. I've heard of stronger springs, but never reinforced. I'm interested.

V Rated tires..do the speed calculation of what you'll be able to achieve at 6K rpm before wasting the money for anything over * tires.

And if you are planning ahead..you will want to reconsider trying to do heads, exhaust, rockers etc at a meet. There isn't enough time, clean area and patience when all that fun is happening.

You left out changing the fuel pump. I tested that one before and it'* only 30-35lbs. It'* old and getting weak.

Chase suggested another car because you have to have one. Just like you say when you question his reason for asking.

Have you read the topics about ram air in the last couple days?

Brakes..why would you make a car faster before you ensure it can handle and stop first with enough overkill to ensure all the stuff you are doing will not be more than the brakes and suspension can handle. (Wanna be like your neighbor? Punch it..get out of control or too fast and hit cars because your suspension and brakes aren't up to par?).Brakes and suspension should come before any other mods, period.

Pulley..you need to drop the size

Injectors..on that budget..you might as well buy new.

Manely pushrods..is this a brand name or you want heavy beefy rods?

Timing chain and gears are probably part of the cam...better be. While you are down there...high flow pump?

Since it'* the toy car...removing the AC? Going to make it lighter or only faster?
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #23
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
the above quote is just WAY too big to include here
I AGREE 120% with everything you say Bill.





Aaron, you forgot the NOS set up
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #24
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Morty Morty Morty....first off...I've written some of this a little harshly to push a point across. All is meant as a friend and fellow clubber that wants to see you succeed and be happy with the outcome and not kill yourself in the process or afterward.

With those low gears you won't be burning them up across country. You'll be redlining the tack in 4th at 70mph. (Speculation...calculation should be done before you do it)

You won't need to worry about hitting 128mph or anything like that...you'll be redlining.

Exhaust...Willwren is pushing a lot of exhaust...far as I know all he'* done is cat and muffler. You shouldn't be able to outflow the piping. Plus..you better research that regarding changing power etc...sizing can really bite you hard.

Rockers/Cam..get a definate before doing it...People are asking..because it'* ugly when anything like that goes bad because you didn't check it 100 times.

LSD..you rotten egg..I hear you got a killer deal. Enjoy the semi lock and harder steering at every NY corner.

What is a reinforced valve spring? I've never heard of them. I've heard of stronger springs, but never reinforced. I'm interested.

V Rated tires..do the speed calculation of what you'll be able to achieve at 6K rpm before wasting the money for anything over * tires.

And if you are planning ahead..you will want to reconsider trying to do heads, exhaust, rockers etc at a meet. There isn't enough time, clean area and patience when all that fun is happening.

You left out changing the fuel pump. I tested that one before and it'* only 30-35lbs. It'* old and getting weak.

Chase suggested another car because you have to have one. Just like you say when you question his reason for asking.

Have you read the topics about ram air in the last couple days?

Brakes..why would you make a car faster before you ensure it can handle and stop first with enough overkill to ensure all the stuff you are doing will not be more than the brakes and suspension can handle. (Wanna be like your neighbor? Punch it..get out of control or too fast and hit cars because your suspension and brakes aren't up to par?).Brakes and suspension should come before any other mods, period.

Pulley..you need to drop the size

Injectors..on that budget..you might as well buy new.

Manely pushrods..is this a brand name or you want heavy beefy rods?

Timing chain and gears are probably part of the cam...better be. While you are down there...high flow pump?

Since it'* the toy car...removing the AC? Going to make it lighter or only faster?

Manley'* a brand of pushrod. I'm absorbing everything you said Bill. I will answer and hell I want contrstuctive criticsm bro. I'd rather be told I'm off the deep end now and make adjustments. I've been thinking alot about this for quote awhile now and I wanted to get it out here for opinions.

I might remove the AC at some point.. probably AFTER the 6500 mile journey :P

As for NOS.. No I'm not. Nor will I ever.
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
95naSTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,508
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95naSTA is on a distinguished road
Default

1.8 rockers plus a cam will more than likely produce too much lift.
I would just get the cam and if you had extra $ then get 1.6 RR'*. (If 1.6 is the stock ratio)
Remember it'* the cam lift multiplied by the rocker ratio to get the actual lift.
95naSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #26
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95naSTA
1.8 rockers plus a cam will more than likely produce too much lift.
I would just get the cam and if you had extra $ then get 1.6 RR'*. (If 1.6 is the stock ratio)
Remember it'* the cam lift multiplied by the rocker ratio to get the actual lift.
Ya. I've had that part drilled into me over the last couple of hours. So after days of torturing a couple of Australians, I'm gonna be getting a cam only anyway. Heh.
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #27
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Default

What is the actual amount of lift that are cars can use before it becomes useless or hurts performance.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #28
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 4,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
fantastic88 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have yet to see a rockered S1. Please do.
fantastic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #29
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default

So, Bill coming back to what you said,

Going to jump around in your post a bit:

Brakes: I won't be removing the speed limiter until I've gone to far better breaks for precisely the reason you've listed. Obviously I can't let the car loose unless I can stop the damn thing before I turn it into splatter on some wall somewhere.

Pulley: I didn't list it but I plan on doing it. Kinda goes without saying :P Before I even consider it, I want supporting mods in place. I've been seeing all the posts lately about KR and I don't see the need to mess with it yet.

LSD: Yes, I got a really good deal for when I do buy it. Haven't spent any money on anything on this list. I just know its there when I'm ready to make the purchase. I'll deal with the tighter turns to get rid of torque steer.

Exhaust: I'm only throwing it out on this list as an option. I want to get opinions and options. I know Willwren isn't outflowing his system. Right now I feel a high flow cat will suffice.

Fuel pump: I asked you about this in January. You said that the pump on the car was testing out fine. Granted I hadn't mentioned all this other stuff because I hadn't even considered it at the time. So I'll get and install the walbro pump. This time around I'm going to buy the straps in advance!

I'm not planning on doing all this crap at NEBF. Just a small part of it I plan on being drunk and watching other people slave over thier cars that weekend.

Gearing: I wasn't serious about the low gear thing while I was driving accross the country, was being sorta sarcastic. So for now I'm nixing the idea of changing the gearing until I understand it better.
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #30
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacDad
DOes the 95 have an M90 sc? your going to be able to run a fairly small pulley with that list and if so, you will soon need bigger injectors. If a 95 is anything like a series 2?
Ya I know. Once I change the cam, then I'll worry about a smaller pulley. It appears I'm going to need to change the fuel pump as well.
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I wanna go fast. (Performance Buildup) Hans Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 41 03-18-2007 01:09 PM
00 out of commission - performance buildup specs & quest harofreak00 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 90 02-09-2007 08:19 PM
Willwren, BillBoost37, Mortehl, MOS95B, 1993 SLE - Read Kelly Lounge 6 11-23-2005 03:38 PM
97 Bonneville SSE Rear Drum Brakes/ Buildup/ Grind Noise - ? 97BonnSSE 1992-1999 5 01-02-2003 09:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.