2017 Cruze adding cruise control - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

Chevrolet When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

2017 Cruze adding cruise control

Reply

 
 
 
Old 10-29-2018, 02:24 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tech2088 is on a distinguished road
Default 2017 Cruze adding cruise control

has anyone actually added factory cruise control to a 2017 cruze that knows the programming process if there is one? Plug and play ? Soft key with scan tool or techline programming with a code ?
i can get a cruise switch, radio control switch and harnes from GM parts direct but they can not provide me with programming info.
Tech2088 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:44 PM
  #2  
Senior Member


Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,113
Thanked 165 Times in 148 Posts
CathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally Posted by Tech2088 View Post
has anyone actually added factory cruise control to a 2017 cruze that knows the programming process if there is one? Plug and play ? Soft key with scan tool or techline programming with a code ?
i can get a cruise switch, radio control switch and harnes from GM parts direct but they can not provide me with programming info.
Sorry, I can't help you on this. Perhaps one of the other guys can answer this one. I would think the logic side of it would be simple for a GM tech.

Mostly I'm here to ask: Really, this car was built with no cruise control? I guess I thought that'd be pretty standard as it is fly-by-wire anyways so the difference is a couple bucks worth of controls and possibly a configuration change in the PCM.

Then after typing the above I went digging around and found: 2012-2016 Chevy Cruze Complete Cruie Control Kit for Sale

. . . perhaps that would work?
CathedralCub is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tech2088 is on a distinguished road
Default

I don't want aftermarket cruise. I think the "stalk" looks horrible. Steering wheel controls are much nicer. It sucks because I was a Chevrolet tech at a GM dealership for 28 yrs. I left in Oct. of 2014 at that time the cruzes were pretty much plug and play. Install the switch and use the scan tool to turn on cruise control in the BCM. Simple, now I'm getting the complete runaround. I guess I just have to get ahold of the right person, or at least someone that has resently done it to a 2017 and knows what it takes
Tech2088 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:00 AM
  #4  
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
Tech II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Worcester, Ma.
Posts: 2,643
Thanked 989 Times in 755 Posts
Tech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Like Cathedral, I am shocked a 2017 was sold without CC....I am not sure you can just turn on a "feature" in BCM......

I never programmed a 2017 BCM, but I remember when you replaced older BCM'*, if in the initial programming, you had to turn on all the features that were in the car, and then once the programming was done, ir was done....if you forgot to activate a feature, you couldn't go back and do it again, you had to get a new BCM....maybe the newer ones are different...
Tech II is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 AM
  #5  
Senior Member


Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,113
Thanked 165 Times in 148 Posts
CathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally Posted by Tech2088 View Post
I don't want aftermarket cruise. I think the "stalk" looks horrible. Steering wheel controls are much nicer.
I agree. I never like the stalk no matter what car it is on.

I also think it'* funny that GM has been made fun of for years for the signal/flash/high-beam/wiper/washer/cruise/kitchen-sink stalk, then later much of the industry thought a better idea is to add more stalks. Lights stalk, cruise stalk, signal stalk, column adjust stalk or sometimes lever, kitchen sink stalk or sometimes lever or button or ****.

Originally Posted by Tech2088 View Post
It sucks because I was a Chevrolet tech at a GM dealership for 28 yrs. I left in Oct. of 2014 at that time the cruzes were pretty much plug and play. Install the switch and use the scan tool to turn on cruise control in the BCM. Simple
I've not tinkered with this platform much, but from the outside I don't think it'* changed that much. Strikes me that it should be similar, both out of engineering/manufacturing simplicity and engineering laziness ( Engineer: "If we, in 2017 at the dawn of the third millennium, must engineer an option for cruise-control delete for the eight poor saps that end up stuck with it, I'm going to put as little effort into the design as possible so I can get back to designing AI-operated magic wonder cars of the future." ) .

Originally Posted by Tech2088 View Post
I guess I just have to get ahold of the right person, or at least someone that has resently done it to a 2017 and knows what it takes
I'd be curious if anyone else has done it on one of these. In the world. Not bashing on you or anything, just this combination of rare car with no CC combined with someone who knows CC is within reach combined with someone with the background to know there is likely a better way than the stalk within reach.
CathedralCub is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:07 AM
  #6  
Senior Member


Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,113
Thanked 165 Times in 148 Posts
CathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Like Cathedral, I am shocked a 2017 was sold without CC....I am not sure you can just turn on a "feature" in BCM......

I never programmed a 2017 BCM, but I remember when you replaced older BCM'*, if in the initial programming, you had to turn on all the features that were in the car, and then once the programming was done, ir was done....if you forgot to activate a feature, you couldn't go back and do it again, you had to get a new BCM....maybe the newer ones are different...
I'm weak here, but I would hope (by now) they would have flash memory with practically-unlimited read/write cycles available. If someone reading this knows the answer to this, I'd love to learn it.
CathedralCub is online now  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
whyzgi70
Chevrolet
4
11-03-2017 06:29 PM
CARiD
CARiD
0
07-28-2017 11:02 AM
TGun84!
Chevrolet
0
02-22-2017 11:01 PM
trev0006
Lounge
0
08-27-2013 07:17 PM
glanghus
Everything Electrical & Electronic
2
06-05-2004 12:26 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Cruze adding cruise control


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.