Hi! New here, 95 olds cutlass ciera 3.1 V6 - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Introductions for new members New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here. Been around awhile? Tell us about yourself. We at GMF Love to meet new Members! So pull up a chair and have a beverage.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
94 olds vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,548
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
94 olds vert will become famous soon enough94 olds vert will become famous soon enough
Default

The red ended wire that is not connected to anything. Connect that to the positive wire on the battery terminal. If you hear the pump start working. Then your pump is good.

A filter won't go bad over a couple of weeks. Unless you have been getting some really bad gas. It takes years for fuel filters to clog.
94 olds vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
allisswell is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 olds vert View Post
The red ended wire that is not connected to anything. Connect that to the positive wire on the battery terminal. If you hear the pump start working. Then your pump is good.

A filter won't go bad over a couple of weeks. Unless you have been getting some really bad gas. It takes years for fuel filters to clog.
Thanks how do I connect the red wire to the battery? It does not seem to reach. So if the pump goes on I assume it is a problem with the relay or fuse?
allisswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
94 olds vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,548
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
94 olds vert will become famous soon enough94 olds vert will become famous soon enough
Default

If the pump goes on and sounds good. There won't be a problem with the fuse or relay. Now I'd it doesn't work then you need to replace the fuse/relay. If it still doesn't work it is probably bad.

Now as for the red testing wire, get another wire, scrap from anything. Strip the ends and stick one into the red plug wire and take the other end and touch it to the positive (red) side of the terminal.

If it works then good, if not do as mentioned above.
94 olds vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
94 olds vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,548
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
94 olds vert will become famous soon enough94 olds vert will become famous soon enough
Default

Also becarful when dealing with electrical current. Were rubber gloves if you dont want to be shocked.
94 olds vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
allisswell is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 olds vert View Post
If the pump goes on and sounds good. There won't be a problem with the fuse or relay. Now I'd it doesn't work then you need to replace the fuse/relay. If it still doesn't work it is probably bad.

Now as for the red testing wire, get another wire, scrap from anything. Strip the ends and stick one into the red plug wire and take the other end and touch it to the positive (red) side of the terminal.

If it works then good, if not do as mentioned above.
Thanks so can I use like a old wire that was on a lamp?
allisswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
94 olds vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,548
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
94 olds vert will become famous soon enough94 olds vert will become famous soon enough
Default

Umm...is it one of those black copper ones? If so I don't see why not.
94 olds vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
allisswell is on a distinguished road
Default

ok so i ran a wire from the test port the battery and the pump turned on. I heard it load and clear. The car still wont start. do you think it could be the battery is just old and ran out of full juice? any help would be great!
allisswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
allisswell is on a distinguished road
Default

i am getting frustrated...thanks for all the help so far, I just do not know what to do next. it just wont turn over. is there any thing ican check. when i check for spark it was an orange spark and not blue. could it be distributor cap or rotor?
allisswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
94 olds vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,548
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
94 olds vert will become famous soon enough94 olds vert will become famous soon enough
Default

If the car won't turn over. I assume the starter won't engage? Could be a bad starter then. Or a ground issue from the battery.

There are no distributors on these motors. You have an ICM and coil packs. You might have a bad coil pack or a failing ICM.

How old is your battery? Batteries last 3-5 years depending on what type of battery you have. Check the date on it and see how old it is.
94 olds vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #20
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
allisswell is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 olds vert View Post
If the car won't turn over. I assume the starter won't engage? Could be a bad starter then. Or a ground issue from the battery.

There are no distributors on these motors. You have an ICM and coil packs. You might have a bad coil pack or a failing ICM.

How old is your battery? Batteries last 3-5 years depending on what type of battery you have. Check the date on it and see how old it is.
hi, battery was bought about 4 years ago...72month battery. i will try to post a vid of what it sounds like when its trying to start. any other thoughts..Thanks!!!
allisswell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
88 olds. cutlass ciera int. 3.8 unstable/bumpy idle CieraGuy Oldsmobile 7 03-07-2012 07:33 PM
88 Olds Cutlass Ciera Wagon V6 courtin Oldsmobile 1 11-16-2011 08:04 AM
93 olds cutlass ciera nicklikesmilk Lounge 13 04-25-2008 02:30 PM
1988 oldsmobile cutlass ciera international 3.8 engine swap? killer_cr80r Oldsmobile 10 04-02-2004 09:49 PM
1988 oldsmobile cutlass ciera internat ed 3.8 engine swap? killer_cr80r Lounge 6 04-02-2004 09:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.