Squeel In '96 SSEi Supercharger - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Forced Induction All questions and problems regarding Superchargers, Turbos, NOS, ZEX, intercoolers, water injection, etc.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

And let us know what belt you're running if you know. Get a good pic of it as well when you shoot the tensioner.

I'm leaning towards belt squeal. I agree, none of that spray could possibly have had any effect on the bearings or seal (actually, the bearings are lubricated by SC oil, and the seal could squeal, and be fixed by spray).

This is why I asked you to check your SC oil.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
orbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
orbitz is on a distinguished road
Default

Finally back, sorry for the delay. Here are 2 pictures.
This one is the supercharger tensioner:
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...ff4f3060bc.jpg

And here is the pulley on the supercharger tensioner:
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...3ab1d42846.jpg

As for the belt'* being lined up, they are all where they should be, except the supercharger'* tensioner pulley. The belt always slides down there. I can put it on the pulley properly, and as soon as I start the car, it slides right back down. That was the reason I replaced the pulley a week or so ago, but it didn't help. The belt is a NAPA brand, 25-060721.
orbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #13
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitz
As for the belt'* being lined up, they are all where they should be, except the supercharger'* tensioner pulley. The belt always slides down there. I can put it on the pulley properly, and as soon as I start the car, it slides right back down. That was the reason I replaced the pulley a week or so ago, but it didn't help. The belt is a NAPA brand, 25-060721.
BINGO

We have a reason...
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #14
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

Your pic isn't very clear, but at this point, I'd say the tensioner is at fault for causing the belt to wander. You replaced the pulley on the tensioner, but the belt still doesn't track right? What about the idler pulley? Is it ok, or is it causing it? How does the tensioner feel with the belt off? Wobbly?
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
orbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
orbitz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Your pic isn't very clear, but at this point, I'd say the tensioner is at fault for causing the belt to wander. You replaced the pulley on the tensioner, but the belt still doesn't track right? What about the idler pulley? Is it ok, or is it causing it? How does the tensioner feel with the belt off? Wobbly?
Back again. I just went back outside, and took the belt off again. The tensioner itself doesn't wobble, however, with the belt back on, I can move the tensioner about half an inch to an inch farther then it tensions itself when I release it...if that makes sense.
While the belt was on, and the engine running, I played around with the tensioner (being very careful), and I could get the car to replicate the noise when I pulled the tensioner towards the front of the car. When pulled towards the front of the car, the belt also started to slip even farther off the tensioner pulley, and would go back to it'* regular spot when I let off the tensioner.

I guess replacing the tensioner is my best bet, eh? :(
orbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

If I understand you correctly, that tensioner arm will move back and forth, not just up and down like it should? And when you move it up and down, it kinda 'catches'? Not a smooth tension?

If the anwers are yes, you have a bugger on your hands. Replace that tensioner. SonomaZR2'* was doing that at WCBF this year as well. But not quite as bad as yours. Just be aware the idler not too far away may be suffering the results of the off-center belt as well. Keep an eye on that one too.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #17
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
orbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
orbitz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
If I understand you correctly, that tensioner arm will move back and forth, not just up and down like it should? And when you move it up and down, it kinda 'catches'? Not a smooth tension?

If the anwers are yes, you have a bugger on your hands. Replace that tensioner. SonomaZR2'* was doing that at WCBF this year as well. But not quite as bad as yours. Just be aware the idler not too far away may be suffering the results of the off-center belt as well. Keep an eye on that one too.
Hello again. Sorry for the delay, as I had a Dr'* appointment. To answer your question, the tensioner goes up and down as it should. It does not move back and forth. I apologize for describing it wrong. It moves the way it should, but it'* not smooth and does kind of 'catch' like you suggest.
I do have one question though, before I say anymore. My car 'lingo' isn't as good as it should be. The tensioner is the part that I release to get the belt off, right? What is the idler?
Thanks again for all of your help.
orbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

The tensioner is the part you release to get the tension off the belt. Actually it'* a spring loaded arm that is behind the pulley.

An idler pulley is one that is mounted in a fixed position and does not move in any way other than spinning with the belt on it.

Your car lingo is doing good..and no worries about getting back to us. The forum is incrediblly fast to respond.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
orbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
orbitz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
The tensioner is the part you release to get the tension off the belt. Actually it'* a spring loaded arm that is behind the pulley.

An idler pulley is one that is mounted in a fixed position and does not move in any way other than spinning with the belt on it.

Your car lingo is doing good..and no worries about getting back to us. The forum is incrediblly fast to respond.
Ahh, I get it now. Thanks Bill.
As for the car, I guess I should replace the tensioner and check out that idler pulley. As far as I know, it'* fine, but I will give it a check just to be sure.
One more thing. I called a couple of dealership'* in my area, as well as my local NAPA, and none of them could find a listing for the tensioner. All they can seem to find is the tensioner for the regular belt (alternator, water pump, p/* pump, ect). Would anyone happen to have any recomendations on where to get the tensioner?
I'm in Ontario, so if anyone has a good one they want to sell, please let me know.

Thanks again for all of your help guys. And, Bill, you are right. Your guys responce time is incredible!
orbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'00 Lesabre Engine squeel/squeek after intake gasket replacement dandyd Buick 5 12-26-2011 04:03 PM
Throttle lift squeel J Wikoff 1992-1999 5 10-17-2006 11:49 AM
Brake squeel wickedtama 1992-1999 3 07-26-2004 02:17 PM
AC squeel corvettecrazy 1992-1999 12 06-26-2004 11:26 AM
ENGINE SQUEEL RZJNVB 1992-1999 10 04-16-2004 08:40 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.