boost question - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Forced Induction All questions and problems regarding Superchargers, Turbos, NOS, ZEX, intercoolers, water injection, etc.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ghost_00 is on a distinguished road
Default boost question

I have a 2000 bonneville SSEI and having a problem with boost. When the car is cold the boost works corectly but after Im on the road for 60+ miles the boost will only add 3-4 psi. I do have a catalytic converter that is going bad and am wondering if the added back pressure from that is causing the boost to be limited after it gets hot
Ghost_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
rjolly87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 6,857
Thanked 298 Times in 246 Posts
rjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant future
Default

It shouldn't, if anything it should be making more boost, because it would be backing up from the exhaust. I would get the cat fixed first though, and see where you stand.
rjolly87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Senior Administrator








Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,649
Thanked 1,001 Times in 777 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

How do you know your cat is bad? Have you done a compression check up and downstream of the cat?

General heat in the engine bay can have an effect on the way a boosted engine performs. A PCM that sees a hot engine might pull some timing back now allowing you to get full power. Too many variables to list.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

You might want to scan for knock retard.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ghost_00 is on a distinguished road
Default

The cat rattles and has set a code. After it worms up it is for the most part quiet. After doing some more looking around I found 2 vacuume lines that were cracked and going today to hopefully find a replacement for them. I use the car for work and it gets alot of over the road time. It has 217,000 miles on it and still runs great with the exception of the lack of boost in the past 1-2 weeks.
Ghost_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
-- SITE DONATOR --
True Car Nut
 
ymmot04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,638
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
ymmot04 is a glorious beacon of lightymmot04 is a glorious beacon of lightymmot04 is a glorious beacon of lightymmot04 is a glorious beacon of lightymmot04 is a glorious beacon of lightymmot04 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

After you replace the vacuum lines, make sure when you blip the throttle from under the hood that the boost bypass valve is moving. It should rest completely down and move significantly when you give it a quick WOT. Also make sure it is moving freely with your hand.
ymmot04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmot04 View Post
After you replace the vacuum lines, make sure when you blip the throttle from under the hood that the boost bypass valve is moving. It should rest completely down and move significantly when you give it a quick WOT. Also make sure it is moving freely with your hand.

You can do the same check by pulling the vacuum hose off the BCS and plugging the end of the hose with your finger.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
Posts like a Supercharger
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mil. WI.
Posts: 156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mello is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey guys whn I start my car my boost is like a quarter of the way up ...as it warms up thru out the day it stabilizes a little better but still never lays all the way down at idle like it should....I had the throttle pulled of and cleaned and replaced the cat....no vacuum leaks tht I know of so why won't my need lay flat at idle a quarter is a lot at start...
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Hey guys whn I start my car my boost is like a quarter of the way up ...as it warms up thru out the day it stabilizes a little better but still never lays all the way down at idle like it should....I had the throttle pulled of and cleaned and replaced the cat....no vacuum leaks tht I know of so why won't my need lay flat at idle a quarter is a lot at start...

When the car is not running, the arm on the boost control actuator should be fully extended. When you start the car, the arm "pulls up" into the actuator. Under WOT the arm will again extend (to the position it is in when the car is not running) to open the */C gate valve. In other words, when the arm is retracted into the actuator you have no boost. When the arm is extended out of the actuator you have full boost. High vacuum (idle) no boost, low vacuum (engine off, or WOT) full boost.

One test you might want to try is to remove and plug the vacuum lines gong in to and out of the actuator (this will mean the actuator will not move from the fully extended position it is in when the car is not running) and take the car for a drive. This will give you full boost at all times, regardless of throttle position. If you notice a difference in boost, your problem is a bad bcs or bca. Do not drive the car like this for more than a quick test, or the gods of engine damage will pay you a visit.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
rjolly87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 6,857
Thanked 298 Times in 246 Posts
rjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
When the car is not running, the arm on the boost control actuator should be fully extended. When you start the car, the arm "pulls up" into the actuator. Under WOT the arm will again extend (to the position it is in when the car is not running) to open the */C gate valve. In other words, when the arm is retracted into the actuator you have no boost. When the arm is extended out of the actuator you have full boost. High vacuum (idle) no boost, low vacuum (engine off, or WOT) full boost.

One test you might want to try is to remove and plug the vacuum lines gong in to and out of the actuator (this will mean the actuator will not move from the fully extended position it is in when the car is not running) and take the car for a drive. This will give you full boost at all times, regardless of throttle position. If you notice a difference in boost, your problem is a bad bcs or bca. Do not drive the car like this for more than a quick test, or the gods of engine damage will pay you a visit.
unless he is referring to the boost gauge...
rjolly87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low boost, no boost problem immusicman Forced Induction 12 09-27-2009 01:05 AM
Boost Control Solenoid Maintenance and Boost Control Actuator Test for low Boost* Toddster Trouble shooting + Test Procedures 0 03-21-2009 07:24 PM
More boost via boost controller... DanCulkin Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 14 07-02-2007 12:02 PM
low stock Boost vs high stock boost hvactech Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 12 05-10-2005 11:14 PM
Boost Gauge Question Merlin 91/97 Forced Induction 12 03-25-2004 10:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.