Kill that whining noise from your amp/stereo system - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Audio (and aftermarket electronics) This is your place for alarms, remote starters, to brag about your system, exaggerate your db levels, or simply ask questions for stock or aftermarket audio. No Flames! (except from roasted amps)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
immusicman is on a distinguished road
Default Kill that whining noise from your amp/stereo system

Just food for thought for anyone having an annoying whining sound when you have your engine running and your aftermarket amp on. The whining will increase with the RPM of the engine, a high pitch whine that gets higher as you rev the engine. Well, this sounds too easy, but my problem was HORRIBLE and I solved it quickly and easily by doing this: First, crank the gain back on your amp or amps to about half or a little past half instead of driving it wide open, then crank up your signal from your head unit to your amp under settings on your head unit if it has such settings. Mine is a pioneer AVIC F-90BT which has an adjustable drive gain to push a stronger signal to your amp. Sounds to simple doesn't it? I couldn't believe it took out 99 percent of the noise to where you have to turn the volume all the way down on the head unit and rev the engine to BARELY hear any whine..so I added a ground loop isolator to the RCA input at the amp and that took out the other 1 percent. A ground loop isolator is not likely to CURE any noise problems by itself, but it will reduce it..so if you have it ALMOST gone, it will finish the job..at least it did for me. Bestbuy has them for 17.95 each. Just so everyone knows, I tried EVERYTHING first...such as: run RCA wires completely separate from your power wires such as left side of car gets RCA cables, Right side gets power cable. Then use a short heavy gauge ground for your amp. Use only quality RCA cables. Use heavy gauge power wire. Don't run RCA cables near ANY power source..mount amp on wood, not metal. And of course, use a good quality amp. IF you have done that and still have a whine..then its not your fault. Crank the gain back some and I guarantee it will reduce it quite a bit..you will have to turn your volume up higher to get the same punch but the whine won't increase with the volume in most cases..comes from gain of amp. Now, if the whine is coming from the headunit..it WILL increase as you increase the volume..in that case, it probably is a ground issue, try grounding the case of the head unit to a nearby metal surface on the chassis. IF all else fails you..I hear there is a filter that can be installed at your alternator that will reduce or rid the noise..I have not tried this and don't need to..but I hear it is an option. I hope this helps someone, because NOT ONE installer in my area could figure out that anything was wrong with my install, because there is nothing wrong with it. They tried to blame the amp..I humored them and let them try another amp. Same whine, so I suggested cutting gain back and they murmured amongst themselves, but I cut the gain back and upped signal from stereo and they couldn't believe how it killed that whine!
immusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
Banned
Posts like a Turbo
 
ricosuave420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cranford nj
Posts: 301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ricosuave420 is on a distinguished road
Default

yo i no exackley wat your talking about, when u turn up the speakers and u dont turn on the music the speakers mirror the sounds of the engine through out the entire car, its pretty funny, it dosent bother me
ricosuave420 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$&)$&*)#&+()#%& )#@(%&#)%*(&+_ Maymybonnieliveforevr Lounge 6 05-02-2007 07:07 PM
Whining Noise RMiller526 1992-1999 6 03-23-2007 11:15 AM
Question on whining noise from my high's LeonardJohn Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 12 07-01-2005 10:32 PM
1993 sse Whining noise when idle.. now when moving as well slick11227 1992-1999 13 05-08-2005 06:59 PM
Whining Noise Coming Through the Speakers CrazyDaveFYM Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 16 01-08-2005 12:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.