A/C pressure - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


2000-2005 Discuss your 2000-2005 Bonneville SE, SLE, and SSEi Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kristie_jeff is on a distinguished road
Default A/C pressure

Does anyone have a FSM for the 2005 SE? I am looking to get the correct low side pressure for the A/C. I tried searching in the 200-2005 section for the word pressure, but didn't find the answer. If it has already been posted, can you direct me to the correct location.

Jeff
kristie_jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Groton, CT _NEBF 05, 06, 07_
Posts: 2,703
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
markwb is on a distinguished road
Default

Jeff, Relative humidity & ambient air temperature have a direct affect on a/c system low side pressure. In other words it is a variable non fixed pressure. As an example: at 80* F, rel. humidity below 40%, low pressure should be 33-39 psi, above 40% low pressure should be 37-43 psi. Hope this helps.
markwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kristie_jeff is on a distinguished road
Default

A couple of days ago, I was curious. So I have one of those dummy gauges from wal-mart, the one that has the colored sections.

The outside temp was 90-100, I was parked under a tree. The low side pressure from that guage was between 55 and 65, closer to the 55 line.

My issue is that sitting still in the car (parked), windows up, recirc on, the vent temp is around 65-70. Without recirc its always above 70. Going down the road, no doupt due to the increased airflow and compressor rpm, it will drop down to 40, 45 degrees max out of the center vent.

The place that I bought it from looked at it, said that everthing was fine, but reclaimed and recharged anyway. I was curious though, if they recarged it to what is normal, not what is specified for this car. It is not a GM dealer, but a no name car lot.

Thans for the reply and for any info you can share.
kristie_jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Groton, CT _NEBF 05, 06, 07_
Posts: 2,703
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
markwb is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie_jeff
Going down the road, no doupt due to the increased airflow and compressor rpm, it will drop down to 40, 45 degrees max out of the center vent.
Thans for the reply and for any info you can share.
Wow, I can share this. If you're getting 40-45* air out of the center vent, you have no problems with your A/C. Those temps are as good as you can get.
markwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwb
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie_jeff
Going down the road, no doupt due to the increased airflow and compressor rpm, it will drop down to 40, 45 degrees max out of the center vent.
Thans for the reply and for any info you can share.
Wow, I can share this. If you're getting 40-45* air out of the center vent, you have no problems with your A/C. Those temps are as good as you can get.
i didnt know a car AC could EVER hit 40*, mine is around 50* and i think its just fine!
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie_jeff
A couple of days ago, I was curious. So I have one of those dummy gauges from wal-mart, the one that has the colored sections.

The outside temp was 90-100, I was parked under a tree. The low side pressure from that guage was between 55 and 65, closer to the 55 line.

My issue is that sitting still in the car (parked), windows up, recirc on, the vent temp is around 65-70. Without recirc its always above 70. Going down the road, no doupt due to the increased airflow and compressor rpm, it will drop down to 40, 45 degrees max out of the center vent.

The place that I bought it from looked at it, said that everthing was fine, but reclaimed and recharged anyway. I was curious though, if they recarged it to what is normal, not what is specified for this car. It is not a GM dealer, but a no name car lot.

Thans for the reply and for any info you can share.
This is completely normal... Here in FL with the temps in the mid 90'* and the humidity about the same, it takes a nasty toll on the AC system.... I am lucky to see 60F from the AC system... If it were 80F with low humidity here I would be seeing 40ish F

So if its 100F , you will be lucky to see 65F from the AC system..

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kristie_jeff is on a distinguished road
Default

OK, I guess my expectations were a little unrealistic. This is only the second car I have had with A/C. The first was an R-12 system (don't know if that matters) but would blow ice cubes whether you are moving or not.

Anyway, thanks for the insight. As long as this is normal, I'm cool. (no pun intended).
kristie_jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie_jeff
OK, I guess my expectations were a little unrealistic. This is only the second car I have had with A/C. The first was an R-12 system (don't know if that matters) but would blow ice cubes whether you are moving or not.

Anyway, thanks for the insight. As long as this is normal, I'm cool. (no pun intended).
it appears to be normal to me, most R-12 systems did in fact run colder than most R-134A sytems do
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proper oil pressure? MaDD RuSSkiY 1992-1999 6 12-19-2002 09:19 PM
Oil pressure gauge, it's all over the place!!! BonDevil 1992-1999 8 12-19-2002 01:38 AM
oil pressure bonnie94ssei 1992-1999 3 12-02-2002 02:16 PM
oil pressure and Engine Temp coachmeeks 1992-1999 2 11-12-2002 11:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.