All 3 Ignition coils died at the same time? (Updated Aug23) - Page 6 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #51
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arbelac is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill buttermore
I was doing some searching and I came across this thread where a fellow had similar symptoms that turned out to be an internal coolant leak. Not saying that'* your problem, but you might want to have a look.

http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/...ic.php?t=50430
I read that thread as well. Difference is, I've had the throttle body off and checked the UIM...all good there.
Arbelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #52
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arbelac is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted
Here'* something you can try when you put the plugs back in.
Turn the key to the run position to prime the fuel pump.
Pull the fuel pump relay & try to start.
Hopefully that will be enough gas to let the engine fire for a brief second but not enough to flood it.

We still need to determine if the problem is too much fuel or a weak spark. If the engine fires briefly during the above test then gets flooded when the relay is replaced I think the problem is most likely fuel related. If the engine doesn't fire at all I'd look for a junkyard ICM with coil packs.
I'll try this tonight (I hope..) Is, the FP relay under the passenger side cover or in the engine maxifuse bay?
Arbelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #53
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
bill buttermore is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbelac
I've had the throttle body off and checked the UIM...all good there.
Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbelac
Is, the FP relay under the passenger side cover or in the engine maxifuse bay?
If the same as my '95, it is under the passenger side kick panel, lowest installed relay on the left side.
bill buttermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 PM   #54
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arbelac is on a distinguished road
Default

A bad MAP wouldn't stop it from starting would it?

I'm going to try the plug swap and fuel relay pull after dinner here...
Arbelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #55
Senior Member
Posts like a Supercharger
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BlownBuick is on a distinguished road
Default

I've got a '96 PCM laying around collecting dust, so if you can't find one, I'd be glad to sell you my extra. And yes, they are like the '97 computers and have a removeable knock module or whatever that needs to be moved from one ECM to the other.

I will tell you for sure that the computer won't work with your car when you get it, and you'll need to have a dealer (or anyone with a Tech-II and a subscription to GM'* service who'* name is excaping me right now) flash it with the proper programming.

About the MAP, it shouldn't stop the car from even firing a little, but you could try to unplug it and see if it makes a differance. Couldn't hurt.

At your mileage (85k) I would doubt that your timing chain jumped time. You've got fuel, you've got spark, and it still won't run. Other than what everyone has said, I'm stumpped.
BlownBuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:32 AM   #56
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arbelac is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted
Here'* something you can try when you put the plugs back in.
Turn the key to the run position to prime the fuel pump.
Pull the fuel pump relay & try to start.
Hopefully that will be enough gas to let the engine fire for a brief second but not enough to flood it.

We still need to determine if the problem is too much fuel or a weak spark. If the engine fires briefly during the above test then gets flooded when the relay is replaced I think the problem is most likely fuel related. If the engine doesn't fire at all I'd look for a junkyard ICM with coil packs.
So I tried it. No dice, not even a cough.

I also picked up a cheap basic multimeter - this one gives me readings for the secondary terminals:

3/6 - 5.99Kohms
2/5 - 5.74Kohms
1/4 - 5.82Kohms

I also repulled the 2/5 coil and checked the primary, and the resistance tended to jump/flux quite a bit.. anywhere from 0.16 ohm to 0.6 ohms. Are we just supposed to check the highest value, or is it supposed to be steady on the primary windings?
Arbelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #57
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arbelac is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownBuick
I've got a '96 PCM laying around collecting dust, so if you can't find one, I'd be glad to sell you my extra. And yes, they are like the '97 computers and have a removeable knock module or whatever that needs to be moved from one ECM to the other.

I will tell you for sure that the computer won't work with your car when you get it, and you'll need to have a dealer (or anyone with a Tech-II and a subscription to GM'* service who'* name is excaping me right now) flash it with the proper programming.

About the MAP, it shouldn't stop the car from even firing a little, but you could try to unplug it and see if it makes a differance. Couldn't hurt.

At your mileage (85k) I would doubt that your timing chain jumped time. You've got fuel, you've got spark, and it still won't run. Other than what everyone has said, I'm stumpped.
I may take you up on that. Question: Does the PCM/ECM have to be in the car for it to be flashed or can it be flashed before installation?
Arbelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #58
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western New York
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technical Ted is on a distinguished road
Default

Your secondary readings all look good. The primarys should also give a constant reading. Try checking all three primarys making sure the terminals are clean.

I tried using the 194 bulb to check for power going to the injectors. The bulb would 'pulse' while the engine was running. It never went on or off all the way. Trying this should show if the injectors are staying open or not. It'* easy to do & should only cost a dollar or two.

If you have a timing light we could test to see if it'* sparking near top dead center.
While you're checking the coil resistance see if you can get a reading from the engine temperature sensor. You can also check the voltage from the throttle position sensor.
From other posts I've read it sounds like some auto parts stores can test your ICM.

Consider getting yourself a code scanner. It may tell us whats wrong & save you the dreaded trip to the dealer.
Technical Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #59
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
big_news_1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted
The bulb would 'pulse' while the engine was running. It never went on or off all the way.
Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot that when I tested my injector voltage the light never totally went out.

Arbelac - As far as I know, the PCM must be in the car to be reflashed. The dealer will do various procedures involving key-on and key-off ignition positions, and the PCM must be receiving input from the car.

Also, I would like to point out that we're suggesting some troubleshooting tips that require you to buy different tools and spend some of your hard-earned cash. While it can get expensive to acquire the right diagnostic tools to properly do a job, I want to encourage you to keep looking into this problem yourself. Sometimes it can seem like it would be cheaper and easier to take the car to a mechanic, but I promise you'll thank yourself afterward for spending money on diagnostic tools and learning about the workings of this car. Don't be put off by the investment now, because it can potentially save you a bunch of money down the road. If you've got the time and energy to keep chasing these gremlins, keep at it.
big_news_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:03 AM   #60
Senior Member
Posts like a Supercharger
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BlownBuick is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbelac
I may take you up on that. Question: Does the PCM/ECM have to be in the car for it to be flashed or can it be flashed before installation?
There'* a way to, you just need to have a Tech-II in adition to some pricy off-car programming equipment, so it'* possable, but not likely your dealer would have the right stuff to do it.
BlownBuick is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coils same as series II GP motor? Overclock This 1992-1999 20 12-04-2005 07:37 PM
Rough acceleration, Died, Started, Blue Smoke, Died again... DannyM 1992-1999 38 09-01-2005 11:28 PM
MSD or Stock Ignition Coils parallelcircuits Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 22 05-18-2003 03:02 AM
MSD Coils / Ignition? SSEi95 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 18 03-27-2003 12:59 PM
Same old, same old bog...big time kwikshifter 1992-1999 3 02-25-2003 09:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.