Buick When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

Oil leak - 2001 lesabre

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 04:54 AM
Posts like a Turbo

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
eb-86 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil leak - 2001 lesabre

Old 11-23-2017, 04:56 AM
Posts like a Turbo

Originally Posted by eb-86

anyone can see from where the oil leak came from ?
intake manifold ir valve cover ?

thank you
Old 11-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Retired

Certified Car Nut

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Posts like a Turbo

Originally Posted by Mike
Replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.
Thank you Mike
In the morning or after long parking , I have a hard start ,sometimes it came with knock noise , it'* happend because the lower and upper intake gasket ?
how can i send a video of my starting ?

thank you
Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Retired

Certified Car Nut

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, but I would start with those gaskets first. It could be pooling up with coolant inside also.

Check your oil level after its been sitting for a bit.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Posts like a Turbo

Originally Posted by Mike
Not sure, but I would start with those gaskets first. It could be pooling up with coolant inside also.

Check your oil level after its been sitting for a bit.
https://youtu.be/LeO5_dYUl2M
https://youtu.be/juJECx7epgg
https://youtu.be/TUSl8er2Rh8
https://youtu.be/ioJCKlHu_NI
https://youtu.be/XzPfHnnEnCc
Old 11-23-2017, 11:56 AM
True Car Nut

Received 457 Likes on 359 Posts
rjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant future

It'* really hard to tell given how dirty everything is, but as Mike said, the gaskets/manifold like to fail, and there is possible signs that they are leaking. Valve cover gaskets and coolant elbow are also some things that should be replaced while doing this as well.

Regarding the noise, it'* hard to tell. It seems like the starter is possibly getting kicked out and trying to reengage while it'* already turning. It also could be ingesting coolant, or even a bad mount that allows the engine to move more than it should.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:27 PM

True Car Nut

Received 1,084 Likes on 832 Posts
Tech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to what Mike and Rjolly said, first thing I would do, is wash down the engine, especially between the valleys of the top of the valve covers and the upper plenum....vehicle is 16 years old, and this is 16 years worth of seepage and oil spills from oil changes, accumulating....I would wash it down good, and then keep an eye on it.....

Another thing is, are you losing coolant? Sometimes coolant gets into the cylinders and creates that sound on startup.......if you are losing coolant and there are no external leaks to be found, one possibility is the Upper Plenum where the EGR tube passes through the plenum......the plastic can degrade from heat causing a coolant leak that can pool in the top of the lower intake, and get sucked in the cylinders....

So If you are leaking coolant internally, then I would definitely do as the guys have suggested......Check that upper plenum and replace if you see any degradation around the hole(melting).......replace the upper and lower intake gaskets.....replace the thermostat and PCV valve......and since you have everything apart, I would also change the plastic elbows from the tensioner assembly.....

You don't say how many miles are on the car, and how long you plan to keep it.......but if you do plan to keep it for awhile, this would be a good investment repair for your vehicle.....these 3.8'* were good engines, especially if taken care of......
Old 11-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Posts like a Turbo

Thank you guys
Today I replaced all the gaskets (upper , lower and vlave covers ) + upper plenum + 2 plastic elbows.
I cleaned all the area like TechII recommanded .
The gaskets was worn out .

I really like this car .
please , see the photos and tell me what are you think ...

Old 11-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Posts like a Turbo

(The pictures mix , the last two photos is the start of the procces )

Now I have new problem , after that I connected the battery the radio not work , it stay in this situation :

Quick Reply: Oil leak - 2001 lesabre