Rocker arms? - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

Rocker arms?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midland,MI
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Focke-Wulf190 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by chevy82 View Post
It can be saved if done right. I would try a heli-coil repair or gm has a thread repair kit that comes with timeserts (Dealer item only) . I would try this first before replacing the head, but to each his own though.
Timesert makes two kits for GM 3100/3400 V6. A 10mm & a 8mm bolt thread kit. My 99 Chevy Lumina 3100 Vin M used 10mm rocker arm bolts. Google the Thread Doctor. Lisle makes an upgraded pushrod removal tool part# 48300. The only correct way to loosen the rocker arm bolts on these GM 60* V6 without using the fore mentioned tool, is to turn the crankshaft in order to make sure each cylinders valves are not being opened, or at TDC on the compression stroke. The reason is that if the cam is trying to open the valves, then the rocker arm bolts threads in the aluminum head are in tension....... High loading, thus you strip out the threads in the head, when they are loosened. Youtube is replete with videos of knocking 3100/3400 engines. ������
Focke-Wulf190 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
05monte is on a distinguished road
Default Rocker arms

Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
You should put those push rods back in the original positions......if mixed up, the exhaust push rods are longer than the intakes.......you can easily look into the head to see if the rod is going to an intake valve....
rocker arms
Hello, my question is on an 05 Monte Carlo 3400 do the Rocker arms need to go back in the same order they were taken off ?
reason being grandson moved them around and they are not in the same order
05monte is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:23 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midland,MI
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Focke-Wulf190 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by 05monte View Post
rocker arms
Hello, my question is on an 05 Monte Carlo 3400 do the Rocker arms need to go back in the same order they were taken off ?
reason being grandson moved them around and they are not in the same order
Ideally you should place them back in the same position, but they should be ok put in any position. Be mindful of not stripping the rocker arm bolt hole threads in the aluminum heads! Buy the tool mentioned in my reply. Otherwise make certain that each cylinder is on its TDC of its compression stroke....... both valves closed. That way there is no loading on the rocker arm bolt/threads in the aluminum head, due to the valves being open! ����
Focke-Wulf190 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midland,MI
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Focke-Wulf190 is on a distinguished road
Default

Oh.....the pushrods are of different lengths! Do nt mix up in the wrong position! ��
Focke-Wulf190 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
widtrak77 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by Focke-Wulf190 View Post
Timesert makes two kits for GM 3100/3400 V6. A 10mm & a 8mm bolt thread kit. My 99 Chevy Lumina 3100 Vin M used 10mm rocker arm bolts. Google the Thread Doctor. Lisle makes an upgraded pushrod removal tool part# 48300. The only correct way to loosen the rocker arm bolts on these GM 60* V6 without using the fore mentioned tool, is to turn the crankshaft in order to make sure each cylinders valves are not being opened, or at TDC on the compression stroke. The reason is that if the cam is trying to open the valves, then the rocker arm bolts threads in the aluminum head are in tension....... High loading, thus you strip out the threads in the head, when they are loosened. Youtube is replete with videos of knocking 3100/3400 engines. ������
So you would use the tool to remove the pushrods first, then it is safe to loosen the rocker bolts?
widtrak77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:00 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midland,MI
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Focke-Wulf190 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes you can remove the rocker arm bolts safely but, there'* no need to if you are just changing the lower intake manifold gasket'*. The pushrods will be Out of the way!��
Focke-Wulf190 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:10 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
widtrak77 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by Focke-Wulf190 View Post
Yes you can remove the rocker arm bolts safely but, there'* no need to if you are just changing the lower intake manifold gasket'*. The pushrods will be Out of the way!��
Thanks,
I am doing head gaskets so ended up removing them because I sent the heads to be machined
widtrak77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:06 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
widtrak77 is on a distinguished road
Default

So I am cleaning up my block deck surface gently with a razor blade and I noticed an ever so slight lite shot with my fingertip. You cannot see it visually or with the razor blade still looks flat. I am not about to remove the block and tear apart the bottom end to have the block decked. what are the odds of the new head gasket sealing fine or am I in for trouble?
widtrak77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:00 PM
  #19  
Senior Member


True Car Nut
 
Soft Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,851
Thanked 390 Times in 344 Posts
Soft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud of
Default

To eliminate confusion, widtrak77 New thread continuation... is located here: https://www.gmforum.com/pontiac-168/...9/#post1625962
Soft Ride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
95riviera
General GM Chat
2
09-12-2007 10:56 PM
OLBlueEyesBonne
Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning
2
10-18-2006 08:46 PM
FattyAzzBonneville
Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning
16
06-28-2006 08:32 PM
trickytransam
1992-1999
5
04-27-2006 09:10 PM
Sukhoi
1992-1999
6
02-07-2006 11:15 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread