Recreating the Bonnevillle GXP Concept - Page 7 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #61
Artist
True Car Nut
 
yutzybrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,283
Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
yutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigerik View Post
Most well designed exhaust systems do cost a hefty chunk of money. They also work better than the usual cobbled together aftermarket systems. Lots of good sounds, with no drone or other weird noises. A Corsa exhaust is a VERY different beast than adding a couple of Magnaflows to your stock system.....
Yup and if someone does figure out how to add a Corsa to the Bonne, I'm willing to pay that hefty chunk when the time comes for a complete overhaul of my exhaust. That'll be a long time though.
yutzybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #62
Administratus Emeritus
Certified Car Nut
 
GXP Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Purgatory, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,538
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
GXP Venom is on a distinguished road
Default

dh2 dh2 dh2 dh2

Thats how many years I've heard this discussion. They don't make it for the Bonneville GXP. Given GXP'* low production numbers and that one hasn't been offered for it in it'* first 5 years, it isn't going to happen. And who among us cares to cut and cobble a $1500 system to make it fit. Given we are FWD, the cobbling choices are few as well. And only having room for one pipe down the center doesn't help matters.

As a matter of fact, given our car is now a 6 year old low production car, you can pretty much count on nothing more than whats out there now to ever be made. Aftermarkets companies are not interested in car with less than 5000 units a year made. X10 for one that was made 2 years total. Lets take in some fresh air here and come back to earth.
GXP Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #63
Artist
True Car Nut
 
yutzybrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,283
Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
yutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to beholdyutzybrian is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP Venom View Post
dh2 dh2 dh2 dh2

Thats how many years I've heard this discussion. They don't make it for the Bonneville GXP. Given GXP'* low production numbers and that one hasn't been offered for it in it'* first 5 years, it isn't going to happen. And who among us cares to cut and cobble a $1500 system to make it fit. Given we are FWD, the cobbling choices are few as well. And only having room for one pipe down the center doesn't help matters.

As a matter of fact, given our car is now a 6 year old low production car, you can pretty much count on nothing more than whats out there now to ever be made. Aftermarkets companies are not interested in car with less than 5000 units a year made. X10 for one that was made 2 years total. Lets take in some fresh air here and come back to earth.
Oh I wasn't holding my breath or anything. Just saying if anyone does ever figure out how to make one fit I'll do it to mine. I'm happy with my SSEi exhaust right now.
yutzybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #64
Administratus Emeritus
Certified Car Nut
 
GXP Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Purgatory, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,538
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
GXP Venom is on a distinguished road
Default

I think I'm just going down the Home Depot and get me one of them there 3" wide galvanized fence posts, cut it to length and weld a 30" Cherry Bomb to it. No backpressure to speak of and a total cost of $38.95. Sounds ridiculous. IMO, no more than most of this thread. Hey! Have you heard? These people have alot of great easy mods for the GXP cheap! http://kalecoauto.com/



Hehehe, Sorry just in one of those moods this morning............
GXP Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #65
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
MouSe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,988
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MouSe is on a distinguished road
Default

The reason I hate the fact that Corsa exhaust systems is that they are too much for what they do. When I owned my Avalanche I could choose from any exhaust company I wanted for full Cat-back systems. Corsa'* system was double the most expensive alternative. Every singel one came with new piping, mufflers, etc. No reason that a Corsa should cost more when they all flow the same.
MouSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #66
Administratus Emeritus
Certified Car Nut
 
GXP Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Purgatory, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,538
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
GXP Venom is on a distinguished road
Default

Name:  horse-stuck-in-a-tree.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  32.4 KB
GXP Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #67
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Hate to see any ideas stifled. That'* another guy'* MO. C'mon John...get that "can do" thinking cap that you had a few years ago back on. When everyone said thee was no suspension, you said "oh yeah look at mine". When everyone said there was no way to go faster you said "Press this button". The GXP is much like a Caddy and surely there'* a few guys....maybe not a lot, but a few that have taken on the challenges and overcome the limited numbers and various other things that hold us back.

Erik....where'* that info you located about pcm tuning?
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #68
Administratus Emeritus
Certified Car Nut
 
GXP Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Purgatory, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,538
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
GXP Venom is on a distinguished road
Default

What ruffles my feathers here Bill is a couple points missed in all the "woes". And I am just stating MO opinions like everybody else/ Just because I am Admins, doesn't mean I'm demanding all follow my opinion. But I will voice it.

The production GXP didn't come with the Corsa exhaust because they switched engines. A key issue that seems to have lost itself in the discussion. The Corsa exhaust of the concept was on a 270 HP 3800 V6. Not a Northstar V8. So, of course it would be omitted.

The Northstars have always breathed nice and free flowing. And unlike what is being portrayed in this thread; No exhaust system is going to improve performance of an OEM stock Northstar. What we do have is a pretty well designed tuned exhaust as is (and you can hear that) IMO, you'd have to do some serious modifying to outflow it. (More than just tuning, if it were possible) (In 4 years no one has disproved many reports it is locked, someone could write ways around that in the ram sections of the PCM, but meh.......still waiting)

Corsa. It is not an Exhaust "God" like so many people who read advertising revenue generated magazines purport it to be. There are many good reputable firms that make just as good, well engineered exhausts systems just as good or better than Corsa'* products. As a matter of fact, for alot less money, any good custom muffler shop that using clean mandrel bent stainless pipes can give you the same performance without the cost. Exhaust is not rocket science like all these internet and trade magaizines keep trying to hypnotize you into thinking. IT BS people, why not add an e-turbo to that $1500-2000 you just spent on exhaust? Corsa just happens to be a European exhaust maker who attracted the attention of some fancy hi-end Brands and spends alot of money in the New and Custom Car Shows. It'* all PR and perception.

All that money for what? "A European sound" ??? Just what is this "European sound"? Sounds like a search for a non existent "Holy Grail" And how many "European" cars have V8'*. Ya, I've read "European sound" in the trade rags many times. Not impressed. But I dont buy $1000 Gucci sneakers, because the name sounds "European" I am an avid Custom Show go'er and have heard many, many V8'* breathing through alot of exhausts. And Corsa isn't like a "stand out alone in the crowd" tone. It is like any other exhaust system in that it doesn't have the same sound across all platforms. Nor the best for all platforms. No one has even heard a GXP with Corsa, and giving it applause it hasn't even proved out ? I agree with what Mouse states, Corsa isnt special, not the best sounding across the board, and a big waste of money when other brands just as worthy can be had for a fraction of the price.

I can't help it if I'm opinionated. I got beat down continuously by the former Staff for it, and now it seems it'* a detriment to being Staff.
A Forum is about debating. And I love to do it. All good. I dont mean to come off as mine is the only view, or the most valid, itz just mine. All are free to wear $1000 shoes or $2000 exhaust syatems. I just think it silly. If it makes you feel good, Do It!.
GXP Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #69
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
MouSe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,988
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MouSe is on a distinguished road
Default

Yay a fire breathing admin! Finally! I love board staff with a backbone!
MouSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #70
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
bigerik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 442
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigerik is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP Venom View Post
What ruffles my feathers here Bill is a couple points missed in all the "woes". And I am just stating MO opinions like everybody else/ Just because I am Admins, doesn't mean I'm demanding all follow my opinion. But I will voice it.


The production GXP didn't come with the Corsa exhaust because they switched engines. A key issue that seems to have lost itself in the discussion. The Corsa exhaust of the concept was on a 270 HP 3800 V6. Not a Northstar V8. So, of course it would be omitted.
Of course it would be omitted? Don't see anything in the literature I have read as to why they got rid of the Corsa exhaust. Cost would be my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP Venom View Post
The Northstars have always breathed nice and free flowing. And unlike what is being portrayed in this thread; No exhaust system is going to improve performance of an OEM stock Northstar. What we do have is a pretty well designed tuned exhaust as is (and you can hear that) IMO, you'd have to do some serious modifying to outflow it. (More than just tuning, if it were possible) (In 4 years no one has disproved many reports it is locked, someone could write ways around that in the ram sections of the PCM, but meh.......still waiting)
Who has talked at all in this thread about the Corsa outflowing the stock system?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP Venom View Post
Corsa. It is not an Exhaust "God" like so many people who read advertising revenue generated magazines purport it to be. There are many good reputable firms that make just as good, well engineered exhausts systems just as good or better than Corsa'* products. As a matter of fact, for alot less money, any good custom muffler shop that using clean mandrel bent stainless pipes can give you the same performance without the cost. Exhaust is not rocket science like all these internet and trade magaizines keep trying to hypnotize you into thinking. IT BS people, why not add an e-turbo to that $1500-2000 you just spent on exhaust? Corsa just happens to be a European exhaust maker who attracted the attention of some fancy hi-end Brands and spends alot of money in the New and Custom Car Shows. It'* all PR and perception.

All that money for what? "A European sound" ??? Just what is this "European sound"? Sounds like a search for a non existent "Holy Grail" And how many "European" cars have V8'*. Ya, I've read "European sound" in the trade rags many times. Not impressed. But I dont buy $1000 Gucci sneakers, because the name sounds "European" I am an avid Custom Show go'er and have heard many, many V8'* breathing through alot of exhausts. And Corsa isn't like a "stand out alone in the crowd" tone. It is like any other exhaust system in that it doesn't have the same sound across all platforms. Nor the best for all platforms. No one has even heard a GXP with Corsa, and giving it applause it hasn't even proved out ? I agree with what Mouse states, Corsa isnt special, not the best sounding across the board, and a big waste of money when other brands just as worthy can be had for a fraction of the price.
Again, who has said that the Corsa is God like? Corsa has been mentioned in this thread for two reasons:
1) It was the exhaust system chosen for the first GXP Concept.
2) Corsa makes the ONLY FWD Northstar exhaust system. It MIGHT be modded to work on a GXP. According to Corsa, it has been done. Yes, I have talked to them about it.

I get that you don't like Corsa exhausts. I have heard a couple of different Northstars with custom exhausts in non-GXP applications, and I loved the Corsa and was unimpressed with the others. I am guessing if a Corsa sounded so good in a STS, that it would likely sound great in a GXP. So, I might spend my money and find out.

How many European V8'* are there? How much time do you have while I make up the list. There are LOTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP Venom View Post
I can't help it if I'm opinionated. I got beat down continuously by the former Staff for it, and now it seems it'* a detriment to being Staff.
A Forum is about debating. And I love to do it. All good. I dont mean to come off as mine is the only view, or the most valid, itz just mine. All are free to wear $1000 shoes or $2000 exhaust syatems. I just think it silly. If it makes you feel good, Do It!.
Debating is fine, but you just seem to come down like a ton of bricks in any thread where discussion is around modding a GXP in a different way than you did yours. I thought this forum was for brainstorming, and discussing.

The whole point of this thread was to get some information together about what changes were made from the concept GXP to the production one. It was not about discussing the merits of Corsa exhausts. What dead horse is being beaten here? Where are all the other threads about the GXP Concept?

The GXP world is changing. A lot of guys who bought them new are starting to get rid of them now. I would guess the new buyers would like to have a place to discuss mods and see what can be done with these cars. To be told you are beating a dead horse just because something was discussed 5 years ago isn`t going to do much to bring new guys into the hobby, or create new opportunities for modding.
bigerik is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 Bonneville GXP concept car photos Super709 Lounge 3 05-01-2010 11:49 AM
2002 Bonneville GXP concept car Super709 Lounge 4 04-26-2010 11:18 PM
disgrace to the bonnevillle.... caseball2051 General GM Chat 22 10-01-2007 07:52 PM
New concept Pontiac G6 salserin69 Lounge 12 06-29-2003 11:30 PM
1996 SSEi ..the next alien concept (95 was totalled) BonneAlien Your Ride: GM Pictures & Videos 2 01-10-2003 08:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.