Help - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: East Hartford, CT
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Livewirerd is on a distinguished road
Default Help

Hey i wanna start work on my engine, some freinds told me i can get 40 hp just by putting in air intake, and this only costs like 200, are they lying or can i be in heaven. Also what are somethings i can get in the 100 to 200 dollar range for tricking out my car
Livewirerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 359
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kuhl is on a distinguished road

He is fibbin to ya. You could probably get around like 10 hp give or take 5 hp. You will most likely have a better throttle response which will make it seem like its more hp than it really is. And a improved sound

Put a 180 thermostat in it (15 degrees lower than stock), you can also get a intake for much cheaper than 200 bucks, I dont think the ECU is located in the airbox on your model so it will be cheaper if you decide to order from adtr or DP. You can also make your own for much much much cheaper or go look around at parts stores for performance intakes for other cars that will fit yours. The TB has a 3 inch intake opening.
Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 1,838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95BonnevilleSESC is on a distinguished road

An air intake will help--but it will not get you anywhere near 40 hp. That is rice talk and e-bay vendor talk. Check up in Techinfo for the best mods and the order in which to do them. Your SSEi really needs the 180 deg t-stat. It won't give you a noticeable increase in hp, but it will help keep your */C cooler when you start modding your engine. It will also help promote longevity in your engine.

Good luck.
95BonnevilleSESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bedroom, Ontario
Posts: 3,266
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drifter420 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 95BonnevilleSESC
That is rice talk
I couldn't have said it better myself.. hahahaha..

I will agree that as much of a pain as it seems not to be able to mod your car right away.. a Tstat SHOULD be the first mod and tranny cooler to help bulletproof your engine/tranny before you get into the fun stuff. If you can fabricate your own intake.. it'll cost you less then the store like mentioned..
Drifter420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP HELP HELP-Did Pep Boys Damage Bonnie?? mprather 1992-1999 24 02-03-2010 08:21 AM
HELP HELP HELP, EXPERTS PLEASE !! statusplease 1992-1999 8 03-15-2008 06:49 PM
palm help (plz any help is good help) gojo83 Lounge 2 09-24-2007 10:34 PM
Back Three Plug wires NOT Coming off HELP HELP HELP VanFaasenC 2000-2005 1 10-04-2006 02:51 PM
Photoshop help! (FONT help now!) willwren Lounge 13 09-16-2003 03:34 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.