15 second L36 Olds - What do I need? - Page 3 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
bigerik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 442
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigerik is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ'sblackbonne
Well i was arguing that it would be harder to hit it in a C-Body. You stated "to hit that in a bonneville". I was commenting on that. I know it will be harder for him. The problem around here lately is everyone is talking about modding and no one is modding (well a group of us are). The L36'* respond nice to mods. Go ahead and mod the car. Even with the list of mods that were listed you will have a much more enjoyable ride (even if you dont hit those numbers). And that is exactly what they are just numbers. I know that my setup was very fun(for a low budget L36 build) and i think you would enjoy a setup just like it Eric
I agree with all of that.
To be honest, I don't know that I will ever run it on the track. Maybe once, just to find out, but that is the performance goal that I have.
Should make for a very nice driving car set up that way!
bigerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #22
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigerik
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren

not to mention the fact that an Olds 98 will not have a PCM like the unrestricted 1995 L36 PCM.
.
What restrictions are in the PCM? What is "unrestricted" about it?
You have a 95 Olds.. You have the Freak PCM... The good part is there is No Torque management at play...

Now that My motor is getting worse, The PCM is seeing it as Knock and doind a lot of retarding to keep the motor form pinging... But in reality its buying me some time to do the L36 replacement... I want to have a Chip done for it, but I need to have all fot he data first to make sure fueling is in the proper range... From there I will add a little timing..

But that 3.06 Ratio will do you some good... My friends all tell me that my L36 3.06 Ratio Bonnie gets around soo easy... Its the gears... 2.84 is a Bit too heavy for an L36, especially in a Large car like the C Body...

The Stock 95 PCM will pull a 1-2 shift at 5950 Rpms and second to 3rd at 5750 rpms iirc... The scan tool always shown my shifts happening at 49 Mph and 89 Mph... I have found the fuel cut off a couple of times.... Its not pretty

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #23
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
bigerik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 442
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigerik is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigerik
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren

not to mention the fact that an Olds 98 will not have a PCM like the unrestricted 1995 L36 PCM.
.
What restrictions are in the PCM? What is "unrestricted" about it?
You have a 95 Olds.. You have the Freak PCM... The good part is there is No Torque management at play...

Now that My motor is getting worse, The PCM is seeing it as Knock and doind a lot of retarding to keep the motor form pinging... But in reality its buying me some time to do the L36 replacement... I want to have a Chip done for it, but I need to have all fot he data first to make sure fueling is in the proper range... From there I will add a little timing..

But that 3.06 Ratio will do you some good... My friends all tell me that my L36 3.06 Ratio Bonnie gets around soo easy... Its the gears... 2.84 is a Bit too heavy for an L36, especially in a Large car like the C Body...

The Stock 95 PCM will pull a 1-2 shift at 5950 Rpms and second to 3rd at 5750 rpms iirc... The scan tool always shown my shifts happening at 49 Mph and 89 Mph... I have found the fuel cut off a couple of times.... Its not pretty

Hmm. Will have to see where I am swapping gears. No tach, so will have to see what the scantool says. My understanding is the 4T60-E does not like to spin much more than 6000 rpm anyway, so I might not have to worry about moving the shiftpoints very much.

Ryan seems to know these things pretty darn well, so I don't feel too bad relying on him until I can get a proper dyno-tune done at some point.
bigerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 AM   #24
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: plattsburgh NY
Posts: 2,037
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TJ'sblackbonne is on a distinguished road
Default

I am having my pcm done by Ryan also, so i wouldnt worry too much about that.
TJ'sblackbonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 AM   #25
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BonneMeMN is on a distinguished road
Default

I don't think rockers, PCM, intake, high flow cat/DP would cut a 15.0 even with 3.0x gearing.
BonneMeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:36 AM   #26
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
bigerik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 442
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigerik is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonneMeMN
I don't think rockers, PCM, intake, high flow cat/DP would cut a 15.0 even with 3.0x gearing.
Well, I'm guessing there is only one way to find out....
bigerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #27
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: plattsburgh NY
Posts: 2,037
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TJ'sblackbonne is on a distinguished road
Default

Well i cut a 15.1 in my black bonneville. If i would have swapped the arts over i know the white one would have been even quicker. It was 2 tenths quicker with just a CAI. Like wren said earlier he is a little heavier and bigger so things like weight transfer and what not come into play but i still think he will lay down decent numbers with those mods
TJ'sblackbonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #28
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
bigerik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 442
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigerik is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ'sblackbonne
Like wren said earlier he is a little heavier and bigger so things like weight transfer and what not come into play but i still think he will lay down decent numbers with those mods
How does he know I am bigger and heavier? Do you guys think dieting would work? [/b]
bigerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #29
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: plattsburgh NY
Posts: 2,037
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TJ'sblackbonne is on a distinguished road
Default

car wise
TJ'sblackbonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #30
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: montreal canada NEBF07 ONBF07
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
firebuick is on a distinguished road
Default

i know stock a L36 is not a torque monster but once you get it to breathe low end torque is much better so far all my mod gave me more low torque that why i hope the rockers will give me more top end .for sure erik whit these mod you will feel the difference and have fun doing it


Quote:
How does he know I am bigger and heavier
as for size i have the same problem
firebuick is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Second Opinon howlinwolf Chevrolet 18 02-01-2012 01:52 PM
Misfire (P0306) on a '98 Olds LSS with L36 engine (fixed) ScottyB Oldsmobile 17 09-07-2011 05:18 PM
Need second opinions, advice... zuper8 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 4 08-03-2007 10:13 AM
2000+ L36 and 95-99 L36 differences macho_mike21 General GM Chat 16 03-08-2005 09:41 AM
need to drop over 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile boseman350 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 2 07-26-2002 06:05 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.