wasted heat - Page 3 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

View Poll Results: is it a good idea to have the clothes dryer help heat the house?
hey, maybe thats a good idea! 2 13.33%
NO, ur retarded, slap urself 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #21
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 3,693
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GoldenBullet is on a distinguished road
Default

good point, what if you run an oven for 12 hours on a day like thanksgiving, there is no co emmisions from that...that has me curious to why... different type of burning system or something?
GoldenBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #22
PopaDopaDo
True Car Nut
 
popatim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
popatim is on a distinguished road
Default

We are burning natural gas which is the cleanest burning of the fossil fuels.
popatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 694
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bastard is on a distinguished road
Default

Cooking in a gas oven does not require a constant flame. A residential oven is a well insulated box that holds in most of the heat, so that once the desired temperature is reached, only short bursts of flame are needed to maintain that temperature. Same way with a gas range; it doesn't need to stay on long enough to be a deadly hazard.
The cleanliness of the burn is irrelevant, natural gas still gives off deadly carbon monoxide just the same as every other incendiary cooking fuel. The rule is: "If in doubt, vent it out".
bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #24
PopaDopaDo
True Car Nut
 
popatim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
popatim is on a distinguished road
Default

Although it is best to err on the side of safety I do wish to point out that a properly adjusted natural gas system produces no carbon monixide; just c02 & moisture.
popatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #25
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 694
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bastard is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by popatim
Although it is best to err on the side of safety I do wish to point out that a properly adjusted natural gas system produces no carbon monixide; just c02 & moisture.
All incendiary fuels produce carbon dioxide. If enough CO2 is present in the living environment, it can displace enough oxygen that asphyxiation can occur, meaning that it doesn't have to be poisonous CO (carbon monoxide), it can just smother a person to death. However...
Natural Gas heating systems are the leading cause of carbon monoxide deaths in the United States, according to the U.*. Consumer Product Safety Commission. When a natural gas heating system malfunctions, it produces odorless carbon monoxide. With no fumes or smoke to give warning, poisoning victims are easily asphyxiated by the carbon monoxide. Detectors are available that warn of carbon monoxide and/or explosive gas (methane, propane, etc.)
bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delaware & Long Island NY
Posts: 3,239
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shadow is on a distinguished road
Default

Be better to leave the oven open with a pan of water than use a dryer for heat.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wasted resources and solutions for the energy problem? GonneVille Lounge 6 04-16-2008 07:37 PM
How I wasted my weekend... clm2112 Lounge 2 06-16-2006 10:08 AM
I've wasted time at work, but SHEESH!!!! MOS95B Lounge 2 07-02-2005 01:09 AM
Anyone here heat with oil heat? I have questions? h1081dan Lounge 3 11-14-2004 05:22 PM
94 MUSTANG GT GOT WASTED!!!!!!!! General GM Chat 7 06-17-2003 08:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.