Ubuntu! - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1995BvSSE is on a distinguished road
Default Ubuntu!

Well, got it installed, even got it to work with my Broadcom wireless card (with a little bit of fanageling ... for whatever reason apt-get had a hell of a time finding ndiswrapper, so I just used add/remove packages and it was found!)

I REALLY like it... it runs SUPER fast, it was very respectful of my partitioning scheme (it'* actually completely installed on a secondary partition!) And it didn't trash my partition table like the last Ubuntu that I installed did (no big deal, I use BootIt and was able to recover)

The user interface is really close to being usable by almost ANYONE, the video rate updates a lot faster than Windows.

Next up: Beryl and perhaps Wine to see if I can run my favorite windows Applications Of course Firefox and Thunderbird are 90% of what I use so it shouldn't be too bad


EDIT: Beryl installed. Beryl rocks!!!
1995BvSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,246
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Logan is on a distinguished road
Default

These threads need to stop.....you guys are tempting me to use it again.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Portage, Michigan
Posts: 1,134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
leftd90 is on a distinguished road
Default

what ever is it....? thats the real question because i have no idea
leftd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sqela is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftd90
what ever is it....? thats the real question because i have no idea
linux!!!!!!
http://www.ubuntu.com/



Quote:
These threads need to stop.....you guys are tempting me to use it again.
x2

DRINK THE KOOLAID
sqela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default

I have to admit, I threw it on my laptop. I won't install Beryl, though. The built in "Desktop Effects" won't work with my video card, so I doubt Beryl would be much better.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1995BvSSE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
I have to admit, I threw it on my laptop. I won't install Beryl, though. The built in "Desktop Effects" won't work with my video card, so I doubt Beryl would be much better.
Really? I have a stock Intel integrated 910 and it works pretty good.
1995BvSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sqela is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995BvSSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
I have to admit, I threw it on my laptop. I won't install Beryl, though. The built in "Desktop Effects" won't work with my video card, so I doubt Beryl would be much better.
Really? I have a stock Intel integrated 910 and it works pretty good.
x2 on the intergrated

what wasn't working on desktop effects? white screen? give beryl a try you might be suprised
sqela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 7,030
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lash is on a distinguished road
Default

Youse computer geeks loss me when ya'all got pass turnin' 'er on.

I taut yas was talkin' 'bout Afrika or sumpin'....sheeesh....
lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iszi is on a distinguished road
Default

Several years ago, I was in a class at a tech school where we were studying for our A+ Certs. This was just a little before the most recent revision of the Certification was released, and there had been some speculation that Linux might end up on the test that year.

So, in order to "teach" us a bit about Linux, our instructor handed us two blank-formatted boxes with peripherals, some Cat 5e, a hub, some really thick Linux books, and a copy of Red Hat. Then he said "make 'em talk".

It took us probably about a month, and the books were of almost no use. Most of the resources that we did find useful were online. Previous to this, I had considered playing around with Linux on one of the older spare machines I had at home. I haven't touched it since.
Iszi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqela
what wasn't working on desktop effects? white screen? give beryl a try you might be suprised
When I enable the desktop effects, it moves everything left So I get a half screen on the left side of my monitor. It says it'* BETA, so I tried it a couple of times and gave up. Maybe when I'm a little more confident, I'll try Beryl. But, it'* pretty much still BETA too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iszi
Several years ago, I was in a class at a tech school where we were studying for our A+ Certs. This was just a little before the most recent revision of the Certification was released, and there had been some speculation that Linux might end up on the test that year.

So, in order to "teach" us a bit about Linux, our instructor handed us two blank-formatted boxes with peripherals, some Cat 5e, a hub, some really thick Linux books, and a copy of Red Hat. Then he said "make 'em talk".

It took us probably about a month, and the books were of almost no use. Most of the resources that we did find useful were online. Previous to this, I had considered playing around with Linux on one of the older spare machines I had at home. I haven't touched it since.
Been there, done that. It'* what kept me from Linux for so long, too. Well, that and games. Ubuntu is nothing like RedHat. Ubuntu is actually made for end users. It detected all the hardware on my Thinkpad R50 on boot up.

Not trying to convert you. I'm not one of the "You must use linux because M$ is evil" zealots. Just letting you know that if you're curious, it'* worth a look.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ok, everyone uses Ubuntu, why not Kubuntu? Bonneville92V688 Lounge 11 05-06-2007 02:39 PM
vista vs ubuntu nagel79 Lounge 35 05-06-2007 10:13 AM
Me likes Ubuntu sandrock Lounge 1 05-04-2007 08:55 PM
ubuntu users nagel79 Lounge 2 05-03-2007 05:48 PM
Maybe switching to Ubuntu... sandrock Lounge 2 04-10-2007 12:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.