olds alero?? - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 351
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
auroradude is on a distinguished road
Default

Alero was a dog from what i have heard...
auroradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Waterloo, NY
Posts: 809
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swartlkk is on a distinguished road
Default

I was mistaken, My wife'* Alero has the Ecotec. For a small econobox, I was sorta impressed with what it did have in terms of performance and predictability in the snow.

The maintainence nightmare that she is having with this one is enough to keep us from ever considering one.
swartlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,978
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Princess Jeanie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Quote:
Originally Posted by repinS
Seems to be pretty divided between owners... ie, SSEiMatt having horrid luck with his, or PJ having good luck (far as I know?) with her Grand Am.
I will answer for her

No problems as of yet. I think she just recently had to get her rotors turned and pads replaced. But I think that is it...oh yeah....other then the tires leaking. But that might have had something to do with the nail in one of them.
Thanks, Logan. Yep, as he said, my Grand Am has been mechanically well-behaved for the five years of it'* existance (I have all service records from before I owned it).
Princess Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mikey is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
What year is this Alero, and what engine is in it?

It may be a Quad 4( 2.4 L ) or a 3400 V6...

I respect and like the Quad 4, but at time it can be a nightmare in the making... And can become very expensive to repair...

The 3400 is a good motor, but it will have lower intake manifold gasket problem down the road... Usually at 80,000-140,000 miles or so...

I have driven a couple of Aleros with the 3400 V6 and was not impressed with them... I would not have one... And I have never understood why GM attached a pretty good size V6 to the 4T45-E trans... Made no sense...

Overall if she gets a 3400 Alero, it should be ok... The best thing to do is have someone with a very good eye for automotive problems.... Maybe a family friend that just may be a mechanic go along for the test drives...

A coworker bought a grand am, 2004 with the 3400 in april... Talked to her the other day and she said she had not had a single issue with the car... She had me go with her because she was afraid she would buy a lemon... The one she had her eye on was a lemon... Worst piece of junk ( 2005 with 15,000 miles ) I ever drove for being a 2005... I told the dealer it was a POS before I drove it... Went down the road and cursed something or other, and parked the car, told the coworker not to buy it... The 2004 was awsome... Everything worked exactly as it should have... Ihope that car will give her many trouble free years....

Ok whats my point here....

Have her take someone very knowledgeable about cars with her to both look at and drive the car... Some Aleros will be good, other will be junk...



its not a quad 4.

i dont know why everyone thinks it is, but its a 2.4L twin cam, and is not the same quad 4 used in early 90'* cars. the 2.4L, although not bulletproof, is more reliable than the quad 4

the 2.2 ecotech is a very reliable motor, and faster than the 2.4L, the 5 speed ecotech is the fastest combination (over the v6 which is only auto) the 2.2L is also proven to take quiet a bit of boost, showing how well its built

the 4t45e is fine with the 3400, i know why gm put it on the 3400.... because it works fine with it. transmission problems are pretty uncommon on stock cars, only the cars running forced induction have problems. you have to remember this is a 2900-3200lb car, depending on options (3100-3200 for auto v6'*). and thats why, with only 170hp, its actually a pretty quick car, ive run right with a 98-99 monte z34 (series II 3800) he got me a little off the line, by 45ish he had me by 1/2 to 3/4 car and very very slowly gaining on him

the 3400 does suffer from lower intake manifold gasket leakage, but thats very easily spotted. the blower motor resistors do go bad, but you dont need to buy a whole new block to fix it, you can fix it yourself for cheap. the rotors are bad, when they do warp (mine haven't in the year ive owned mine, and i drive hard) replace them with a aftermarket slotted rottor and you'll never have a problem again. they're pretty cheap if you look at the right place.


let me know if you have any question, i have a 01 GLS with the 3400

check out aleromod.com too
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vital49 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
The maintainence nightmare that she is having with this one is enough to keep us from ever considering one.
What is the maintenance nightmare? You're the first person I've come across that'* had maintenance issues with the Ecotec.
vital49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #16
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Waterloo, NY
Posts: 809
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swartlkk is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital49
What is the maintenance nightmare? You're the first person I've come across that'* had maintenance issues with the Ecotec.
Read my first post. As stated earlier, the motor/trans has been great. It'* the electronics, wheel bearings & brakes that have been a nightmare.
swartlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #17
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
What year is this Alero, and what engine is in it?

It may be a Quad 4( 2.4 L ) or a 3400 V6...

I respect and like the Quad 4, but at time it can be a nightmare in the making... And can become very expensive to repair...

The 3400 is a good motor, but it will have lower intake manifold gasket problem down the road... Usually at 80,000-140,000 miles or so...

I have driven a couple of Aleros with the 3400 V6 and was not impressed with them... I would not have one... And I have never understood why GM attached a pretty good size V6 to the 4T45-E trans... Made no sense...

Overall if she gets a 3400 Alero, it should be ok... The best thing to do is have someone with a very good eye for automotive problems.... Maybe a family friend that just may be a mechanic go along for the test drives...

A coworker bought a grand am, 2004 with the 3400 in april... Talked to her the other day and she said she had not had a single issue with the car... She had me go with her because she was afraid she would buy a lemon... The one she had her eye on was a lemon... Worst piece of junk ( 2005 with 15,000 miles ) I ever drove for being a 2005... I told the dealer it was a POS before I drove it... Went down the road and cursed something or other, and parked the car, told the coworker not to buy it... The 2004 was awsome... Everything worked exactly as it should have... Ihope that car will give her many trouble free years....

Ok whats my point here....

Have her take someone very knowledgeable about cars with her to both look at and drive the car... Some Aleros will be good, other will be junk...



its not a quad 4.

i dont know why everyone thinks it is, but its a 2.4L twin cam, and is not the same quad 4 used in early 90'* cars. the 2.4L, although not bulletproof, is more reliable than the quad 4

the 2.2 ecotech is a very reliable motor, and faster than the 2.4L, the 5 speed ecotech is the fastest combination (over the v6 which is only auto) the 2.2L is also proven to take quiet a bit of boost, showing how well its built

the 4t45e is fine with the 3400, i know why gm put it on the 3400.... because it works fine with it. transmission problems are pretty uncommon on stock cars, only the cars running forced induction have problems. you have to remember this is a 2900-3200lb car, depending on options (3100-3200 for auto v6'*). and thats why, with only 170hp, its actually a pretty quick car, ive run right with a 98-99 monte z34 (series II 3800) he got me a little off the line, by 45ish he had me by 1/2 to 3/4 car and very very slowly gaining on him

the 3400 does suffer from lower intake manifold gasket leakage, but thats very easily spotted. the blower motor resistors do go bad, but you dont need to buy a whole new block to fix it, you can fix it yourself for cheap. the rotors are bad, when they do warp (mine haven't in the year ive owned mine, and i drive hard) replace them with a aftermarket slotted rottor and you'll never have a problem again. they're pretty cheap if you look at the right place.


let me know if you have any question, i have a 01 GLS with the 3400

check out aleromod.com too
Maybe I should have been more clear... I was not talking about the SOHC Quad engine....

Maybe I should have said that there was a SOHC Quad 4, and or DOHC Quad 4 ( 2.3 & 2.4 L ) Used in the N bodies over the years... And every cover you look at on the 2.3 and 2.4 Twin cam engine says " Quad 4 "...

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #18
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mikey is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
What year is this Alero, and what engine is in it?

It may be a Quad 4( 2.4 L ) or a 3400 V6...

I respect and like the Quad 4, but at time it can be a nightmare in the making... And can become very expensive to repair...

The 3400 is a good motor, but it will have lower intake manifold gasket problem down the road... Usually at 80,000-140,000 miles or so...

I have driven a couple of Aleros with the 3400 V6 and was not impressed with them... I would not have one... And I have never understood why GM attached a pretty good size V6 to the 4T45-E trans... Made no sense...

Overall if she gets a 3400 Alero, it should be ok... The best thing to do is have someone with a very good eye for automotive problems.... Maybe a family friend that just may be a mechanic go along for the test drives...

A coworker bought a grand am, 2004 with the 3400 in april... Talked to her the other day and she said she had not had a single issue with the car... She had me go with her because she was afraid she would buy a lemon... The one she had her eye on was a lemon... Worst piece of junk ( 2005 with 15,000 miles ) I ever drove for being a 2005... I told the dealer it was a POS before I drove it... Went down the road and cursed something or other, and parked the car, told the coworker not to buy it... The 2004 was awsome... Everything worked exactly as it should have... Ihope that car will give her many trouble free years....

Ok whats my point here....

Have her take someone very knowledgeable about cars with her to both look at and drive the car... Some Aleros will be good, other will be junk...



its not a quad 4.

i dont know why everyone thinks it is, but its a 2.4L twin cam, and is not the same quad 4 used in early 90'* cars. the 2.4L, although not bulletproof, is more reliable than the quad 4

the 2.2 ecotech is a very reliable motor, and faster than the 2.4L, the 5 speed ecotech is the fastest combination (over the v6 which is only auto) the 2.2L is also proven to take quiet a bit of boost, showing how well its built

the 4t45e is fine with the 3400, i know why gm put it on the 3400.... because it works fine with it. transmission problems are pretty uncommon on stock cars, only the cars running forced induction have problems. you have to remember this is a 2900-3200lb car, depending on options (3100-3200 for auto v6'*). and thats why, with only 170hp, its actually a pretty quick car, ive run right with a 98-99 monte z34 (series II 3800) he got me a little off the line, by 45ish he had me by 1/2 to 3/4 car and very very slowly gaining on him

the 3400 does suffer from lower intake manifold gasket leakage, but thats very easily spotted. the blower motor resistors do go bad, but you dont need to buy a whole new block to fix it, you can fix it yourself for cheap. the rotors are bad, when they do warp (mine haven't in the year ive owned mine, and i drive hard) replace them with a aftermarket slotted rottor and you'll never have a problem again. they're pretty cheap if you look at the right place.


let me know if you have any question, i have a 01 GLS with the 3400

check out aleromod.com too
Maybe I should have been more clear... I was not talking about the SOHC Quad engine....

Maybe I should have said that there was a SOHC Quad 4, and or DOHC Quad 4 ( 2.3 & 2.4 L ) Used in the N bodies over the years... And every cover you look at on the 2.3 and 2.4 Twin cam engine says " Quad 4 "...
no, the only 2.4L used in alero'* was a dohc 4cyl. (twin cam, dual overhead same thing). and everyone on here is complaining about how unreliable the quad 4 is, that may be, but it does not have the "quad 4", its a completly different engine. and that 2.4 was only used for a few years until they started using the 2.2 ecotech.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

You are somewhat correct... It says Twin Cam 2.3 or 2.4....

But regaurdless its still a Quad 4... The Quad 4 started out as a DOHC 2.3, later they developed a SOHC version... I believe that 93 may have been the last year for the SOHC Quad 4... There have been too many changes to count between blocks, rods and the like... But they are still Oldsmobile Quad 4 Engines

And so far from what I have seen the 2.2 echotec is very reliable...

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #20
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ocean County, New Jersey
Posts: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
asonofabeach69 is on a distinguished road
Default

I had a 2000 Alero with the 2.4 Twin Cam w/ a 5 speed. Engine and trans very were very strong, got rid of it when it had 95K on it and was still mechanically strong. Bone stock ran 16.2 which is pretty damn close to that anemic 3400v6. My only complaints with the car were the interior parts were cheap and were falling apart and that car couldnt keep a brake rotor unwarpped for nothing. I was told the N-body cars had serious problems with warping rotors. In regard to the ecotec powered alero'* being faster then the twin cam'* I dont believe that. I have a friend who has an 03 with the ecotec w/ 5-speed and she couldnt hang with me. The eco'* in the smaller j-body cars where pretty quick but in the heavier alero its a dog, not to mention the 2.2 doesnt sound nearly as throaty as the 2.4 did. They are very decent for the money you will spend on them, just stay away from the crank windows, my assemblies kept breaking.

The 2.4 was still a oldsmobile "quad 4" engine. They just changed its name to "twin cam", with all the problems the 2.3 had the quad 4 name was tarnished pretty bad. The too engines where pretty close to be identical, the 2.4 just got stronger gaskets, a slightly larger bore and instead of a aluminum intake manifold the 2.4 recieved a composite intake manifold.
asonofabeach69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 olds alero hard start olds2001 Oldsmobile 6 05-29-2012 09:30 PM
2001 Olds Alero trunk will not open with door button or key snakebitekiss Oldsmobile 2 11-04-2011 12:35 PM
2001 Olds Alero cricket-like chirp sound-Passenger Side snakebitekiss Oldsmobile 7 09-16-2011 01:50 PM
In the Alero, has a Bonny in it, but more or less Alero. SSEimatt93 Your Other Rides: Pics & Videos 1 12-30-2007 08:43 PM
Olds Alero - Is it a "Chick Car"? theJMFC Lounge 25 09-18-2005 03:49 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.