need some tranny advice stat!!! - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c0rsa180 is on a distinguished road
Default need some tranny advice stat!!!

Hey guys i know i havent posted in a while but this one doesnt have to do with my car, it actually has nothing to do with bonnevilles or domestic cars for that fact at all...my friend drives a 99 Honda Accord V6 and he had a refurbished tranny put in the car about a year or two ago and its been driving like crap...he decided to drain the fluid and found that it was loaded with metal filings and it was burnt, but also found out that the shop that filled it put too much fluid in...the tranny only has about 25 k miles on it...now his father thinks that he should sell the car because everytime he'* seen a car with burnt fluid its only lasted about a month then it crapped out...

here'* the real kicker tho, he bought the car and it already had gone in for tranny work and then about a year into the car it had to b brought in to get the solinoids changed, then about a year after that he is on the current tranny...

Any help or advice u guys give me would b greatly appreciated by both me and my friend, thank you very much in advance
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: need some tranny advice stat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rsa180
Hey guys i know i havent posted in a while but this one doesnt have to do with my car, it actually has nothing to do with bonnevilles or domestic cars for that fact at all...my friend drives a 99 Honda Accord V6 and he had a refurbished tranny put in the car about a year or two ago and its been driving like crap...he decided to drain the fluid and found that it was loaded with metal filings and it was burnt, but also found out that the shop that filled it put too much fluid in...the tranny only has about 25 k miles on it...now his father thinks that he should sell the car because everytime he'* seen a car with burnt fluid its only lasted about a month then it crapped out...

here'* the real kicker tho, he bought the car and it already had gone in for tranny work and then about a year into the car it had to b brought in to get the solinoids changed, then about a year after that he is on the current tranny...

Any help or advice u guys give me would b greatly appreciated by both me and my friend, thank you very much in advance
First I'll start off topic. NEBF meet up.. Oct 22/23 in Enfield CT.. A short drive for you.. hope to see you here.

The burnt doesn't concern me as much as the shavings. First thing to do is see if he has a warranty on the work..clearly a big problem is ahead. If no warranty..yes..consider a replacement or dumping it.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mkaake is on a distinguished road
Default

if the rebuild used new gears, than the metal shavings are of no concern, unless they're very large, or there'* more than what will fit on the magnet in the pan.

actually, that'* why there is a magnet in the pan.

and as for 'burnt' - is that color or smell?
mkaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c0rsa180 is on a distinguished road
Default

ok from what he tells me is that the tranny fluid both looked and smelt burnt
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c0rsa180 is on a distinguished road
Default

oh and also he said that the metal shavings were pretty large, from what he says is that they are definatley larger than just a shaving....he put it as chunks
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c0rsa180 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
First thing to do is see if he has a warranty on the work
well there'* another problem...he has a warranty but unfortunatley for him he'* about 15k over the limit
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mkaake is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rsa180
oh and also he said that the metal shavings were pretty large, from what he says is that they are definatley larger than just a shaving....he put it as chunks
oh. well in that case, he'* pretty well screwed. and I'm not just saying this because I'm a GM guy, but honda really does have automatic tranny issues, fairly widespread.

I'd say find a rebuilt tranny cheap, but make sure he takes the time to weigh the cost of a replacement against the cost of moving to a different vehicle. I watched my brother put 5 transmissions in one car (always failing w/in 3k of their warranties), but he was convinced that it was cheaper to just put in one more tranny than to sell the car and cut his losses...

of course, the next tranny might be golden and last as long as the car. you never know...
mkaake is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some advice on some readings from my car. OLDsman105 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 12 08-01-2006 07:20 PM
need some advice on somethings... grey3800 1987-1991 8 07-24-2003 02:45 AM
Need some advice with an '01 SSE SlowStang91 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 2 02-25-2003 09:50 PM
I need some advice about Transmission coolers Jrios 2000-2005 4 02-03-2003 04:13 PM
tranny cooler/t-stat bonnie94ssei Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 9 10-23-2002 07:58 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.