My house fuse breaker keeps tripping Any Electricians here? - Page 4 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #31
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delaware & Long Island NY
Posts: 3,239
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shadow is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville94V688
Cool. You didn't tell us if the problem was fixed....was it?
Yeah I am waiting for the next time its cold enough to use the space heater or warm enough for the AC portable unit.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #32
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville94V688
Cool. You didn't tell us if the problem was fixed....was it?
Yeah I am waiting for the next time its cold enough to use the space heater or warm enough for the AC portable unit.
Why wait... no time like the present to give it a test. While I hope for the best..on this..I fear it'll only be a couple moments until the breaker snaps and leaves you in darkness.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #33
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delaware & Long Island NY
Posts: 3,239
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shadow is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville94V688
Cool. You didn't tell us if the problem was fixed....was it?
Yeah I am waiting for the next time its cold enough to use the space heater or warm enough for the AC portable unit.
Why wait... no time like the present to give it a test. While I hope for the best..on this..I fear it'll only be a couple moments until the breaker snaps and leaves you in darkness.
yeah well if it goes again I will call the electrican. I dont want to take any chances like some of you have told me.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #34
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Aha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Yeah my rats are gentle and all are house broken and know to use thier litterbox only. I let them roam the house 2 at a time and they have been pretty good. The cats dont pay them much attention but some of my rats like to chew wires.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #35
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delaware & Long Island NY
Posts: 3,239
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shadow is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Aha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Yeah my rats are gentle and all are house broken and know to use thier litterbox only. I let them roam the house 2 at a time and they have been pretty good. The cats dont pay them much attention but some of my rats like to chew wires.

Lol.....you caught me...but seriously they are not even allowed in my office. The get free roam sometimes but not on this side of the house.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #36
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 7,030
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lash is on a distinguished road
Default

OK, I just saw this thread and wish I had seen it sooner. Something you NEED to know. That 15 amp breaker you took out was what they call an "Arc Fault Breaker". Both 11 and 13 are/were. That breaker is specifically designed to provide extra grounding fault protection (to keep you from electrocuting yourself).

If you replaced it with a regular 15 amp breaker (most likely), you just reduced your level of protection and are now not meeting code requirements. Most likely these two circuits were placed for extra protection for your computers, TVs, etc. (modern house). Now go get an Arc Fault breaker and replace the one just just put in there with that..

Note that you should not replace breakers without first shutting the whole panel off (all power to the house). Good way to fry yourself.

Also note that Square D did have some issues with Arc Faults in the the 2004 time period, so it is possible that the breaker went bad. Also heed the advice of others that have suggested you get an additional circuit up there. That space heater will always draw more than you want with all the other load on there. A decent electrician will not charge more than a couple hundred to do a good job.

Keep in mind that Arc Fault breakers are expensive. We currently pay $37 each.
lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #37
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delaware & Long Island NY
Posts: 3,239
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shadow is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lash
OK, I just saw this thread and wish I had seen it sooner. Something you NEED to know. That 15 amp breaker you took out was what they call an "Arc Fault Breaker". Both 11 and 13 are/were. That breaker is specifically designed to provide extra grounding fault protection (to keep you from electrocuting yourself).

If you replaced it with a regular 15 amp breaker (most likely), you just reduced your level of protection and are now not meeting code requirements. Most likely these two circuits were placed for extra protection for your computers, TVs, etc. (modern house). Now go get an Arc Fault breaker and replace the one just just put in there with that..

Note that you should not replace breakers without first shutting the whole panel off (all power to the house). Good way to fry yourself.

Also note that Square D did have some issues with Arc Faults in the the 2004 time period, so it is possible that the breaker went bad. Also heed the advice of others that have suggested you get an additional circuit up there. That space heater will always draw more than you want with all the other load on there. A decent electrician will not charge more than a couple hundred to do a good job.

Keep in mind that Arc Fault breakers are expensive. We currently pay $37 each.
Lash,

Thanks for the heads up. I didnt go the cheap route I replaced it with the same type Arc Fault type that was in there. It was 32.99 at lowes. I didnt get a shock but i assumes switching the main switch on top to off would have been enough. Where else would I be able to stop power coming to the house other than the pole.

Anyway I didnt want to pay an electrican just to put in a breaker that I could do myself. As far as adding a circuit etc. I will leave that to the pros.

Should I keep the old one as an extra for emergency or toss it.

Thank you
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #38
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 7,030
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lash is on a distinguished road
Default

You didn't do so bad after all.

The switch at the top of the panel does it for minor changes like replacing breakers and you did use a proper replacement breaker.

Still, you should get an extra circuit in there. Maxing a circuit on a regular basis still leaves the potential for heating the wires a bit much.

Throw out that old breaker, it'* of no good use to you now.
lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #39
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delaware & Long Island NY
Posts: 3,239
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shadow is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville94V688
Cool. You didn't tell us if the problem was fixed....was it?
Yeah I am waiting for the next time its cold enough to use the space heater or warm enough for the AC portable unit.
Why wait... no time like the present to give it a test. While I hope for the best..on this..I fear it'll only be a couple moments until the breaker snaps and leaves you in darkness.

Hey its been 2 days with the portable AC on and the new 15amp breaker is holding well. I guess the other one was just bad.

Thanks again all.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tripping codes Bonnie09 General GM Chat 7 09-20-2009 10:45 AM
Factory alarm tripping for no reason 99SSEI Everything Electrical & Electronic 23 05-08-2008 07:51 PM
Electricians & Spa Technicians, Lend me your ears! wjcollier07 Lounge 20 04-18-2008 10:22 PM
Damn I came in tripping all over stuff to tell you guys this Bonneville92V688 General GM Chat 3 08-06-2006 02:35 PM
What Russian electricians do in spare time! (warning 18+ ) valerka Lounge 5 10-31-2004 05:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.