jeep dying when trying to idle interemittenly - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BADBUICK is on a distinguished road
Default jeep dying when trying to idle interemittenly

so my friend has a 2002 jeep grand cheroke with a 4.0 6cyl it dies when he lets it idle if he holds the rpm up it runs. it only does it sometimes though like 10% the other 90% perfectly fine... im thinking iac valve does that sound right if so just clean it and back in or replace thoughts opinions would be great
BADBUICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
judgemikdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
judgemikdredd is on a distinguished road
Default

sounds like the iac because my moms van had a bad iac andran like crap. you can probably check the iac with an Ohm meter if you have one.
judgemikdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Retired Senior Admin

Expert Gearhead
 
Danthurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sheboygan Wisconsin
Posts: 29,661
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Danthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to all
Default

Have him test the TPS it'* a easy test.

https://www.gmforum.com/t279319/
Danthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 7,979
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Purplehazeir is on a distinguished road
Default

The TPS is a good thing to check and easy to test, I would also look at the IAC and or check to see if you are having voltage drop off while running. The ECM may be seeing the voltage drop or the IAC may be seeing a voltage spike.

Last edited by Purplehazeir; 04-20-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Can spell may :)
Purplehazeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Administratus Emeritus
Certified Car Nut
 
GXP Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Purgatory, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,538
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
GXP Venom is on a distinguished road
Default

This Thread moved to the Lounge. This Section is for Pic and Videos of non Bonneville cars. We lost the "other vehicles" mechanical section when we reformatted, I will see about getting it back up. Until then the lounge seems the best fit.
GXP Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I keep trying and trying samthecrewman Lounge 7 03-17-2006 01:53 AM
a day out muddin in the JEEP (56k NO NO) GAMEOVER Lounge 2 09-22-2004 11:11 AM
a gutsy jeep GAMEOVER Lounge 0 04-22-2004 02:47 AM
Jeep Cherokee russianpolarbear General GM Chat 11 10-28-2003 10:30 PM
Jeep Transmission Help! parallelcircuits Lounge 2 07-07-2003 03:20 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.