IE more secure than others - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2004, 04:04 PM   #11
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensourceguy
Firefox = the ***^. IE doesn't even come close to comparing. Not to mention firefox is multi platform, so when I hop onto my linux box, I don't have a learning curve. That, and the tabbed browsing is sweet! Popup blocking = awesome spyware installs = nonexistant. There is NO reason why anyone should be using IE.

When you guys talk about SP2, that was the WORST SP ever! there is so much crap in that, it'* not even funny. Plus, since I don't use xp anymore, and seldomly use 2k, what is there for people who use versions before xp? Think about their problems too.

IMO IE should be used by nobody.


-justin
You seem to know quite a bit considering you dont use XP. I have IE, have always used IE, and never had any problems with it. I don't get pop-ups, I don't get spyware, I don't get hijacks, I don't have a single problem.

The reason why people get spyware and viruses is ... no offense to anyone ... because of USER ERROR.

Plus, SP2 adds on the security. If you still get crap on your PC with SP2, it'* not Window'* fault.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default

It'* funny. I've never had a problem with IE.

I'm a HD space hog, I hate installing unneccessary or duplicate programs on my computer. I also have no problems with spyware or pop-ups. Must be lucky. That, or the fact that I don't install every program that wants to come in through the web
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TrueWildMan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by opensourceguy
Firefox = the ***^. IE doesn't even come close to comparing. Not to mention firefox is multi platform, so when I hop onto my linux box, I don't have a learning curve. That, and the tabbed browsing is sweet! Popup blocking = awesome spyware installs = nonexistant. There is NO reason why anyone should be using IE.

When you guys talk about SP2, that was the WORST SP ever! there is so much crap in that, it'* not even funny. Plus, since I don't use xp anymore, and seldomly use 2k, what is there for people who use versions before xp? Think about their problems too.

IMO IE should be used by nobody.


-justin
You seem to know quite a bit considering you dont use XP. I have IE, have always used IE, and never had any problems with it. I don't get pop-ups, I don't get spyware, I don't get hijacks, I don't have a single problem.
Considering he don't use XP or is an MCSE and make his living as a network admin.

Just how big are your britches, anyway?
TrueWildMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom88 is on a distinguished road
Default

my major is also computer networking/administration. I'm not getting these spyware programs from user error either. (and I do have service pack 2.)
Custom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 1,719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beckstyle is on a distinguished road
Default

I don't know anything about computers. I tend to be clueless.
beckstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Three Oaks, Michigan
Posts: 4,879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opensourceguy is on a distinguished road
Default

I tend to know a lot, because i know everything .

Back to reality.. I had xp SP2 insalled on my notebook, as a terciary [sp?] os. It was incredibly unstable, and there were MANY messages saying "you don't have a firewall, or antivirus software installed" blah blah. I for one, had McAffe firewall, and AVG antivirus, so I don't know what it was complaining about there. Not to mention the extra resources it took, and the system was very bogged. I wouldn't recommend an SP2 upgrade to some people, just because of the experiences I have had with it.

I haven't had a problem with spyware since I moved off Kazaa, and IE [well over 2 years ago for both]. I still use Spybot Search and Destroy, just in case, however I haven't had anything on my windoze box for several months. Linux doesn't have viri or spyware. I think there are maybe two security flaws found, and I have NEVER had my slack distro crash. Hmm.. who'* the superior operating system here?


-justin
opensourceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:08 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom88 is on a distinguished road
Default

I would definately not say that Linux is more stable. It just seems that way because it is less popular and less widely used therefore hackers dont' spend their time on trying to compromise Linux. they spend their time on the most used operating system, Windows. How much do you want to bet if Linux was used as much as Windows it would be compromised just as severely as windows has been by viruses and spyware.
Custom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TrueWildMan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom88
I would definately not say that Linux is more stable. It just seems that way because it is less popular and less widely used therefore hackers dont' spend their time on trying to compromise Linux. they spend their time on the most used operating system, Windows. How much do you want to bet if Linux was used as much as Windows it would be compromised just as severely as windows has been by viruses and spyware.
Worse. That'* the point. The above article states that IE is more secure. Why? Because it has to be.

And as far as the above point of Kazaa...geez I don't even know where to begin.

When you installed it, did you even read the EULA? You gave it permission to install spyware and adware (Gator is only one of them). IE isn't going to stop something that you gave it permission to do.

You say you uninstalled Kazaa and IE at the same time and have no more problems? That'* because of Kazaa being gone, not IE.
TrueWildMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:46 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom88 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWildMan

You say you uninstalled Kazaa and IE at the same time and have no more problems? That'* because of Kazaa being gone, not IE.
That'* one bad part, IE cannot be uninstalled. It is integrated into windows to the point that if it were removed windows would no longer function.

Kazaa is horrible. That is why I have it running on a virtual PC instead of on my real computer.
Custom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #20
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Three Oaks, Michigan
Posts: 4,879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opensourceguy is on a distinguished road
Default

holy crap guys, i'm not that dumb!

I stopped using kazaa and Ie about the same time. I just oh nevermind guys IE sucks


-justin
opensourceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do i secure my wireless network? 88bonnsse Lounge 16 02-01-2008 04:23 PM
need advice how to secure garage windows.? thanks 88bonnsse Lounge 15 10-17-2007 09:52 PM
need puter help (secure wireless) its840 Lounge 2 08-16-2006 06:37 PM
How did you secure your sub box in the car??? Hans Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 14 02-26-2005 12:32 AM
I have subs to put int he trunk but how can i secure them? pontiac guy87 Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 10 12-31-2004 02:34 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.