Farewell Crown Vic - Page 4 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Farewell Crown Vic

Closed Thread

 
 
 
Old 12-03-2007, 12:00 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrCheeto is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by GonneVille
Originally Posted by ChilinMichael
As far as comparing a 4.6 to a 3800, either way, whoever does it, is wrong to do so in my opinion. Why don't we compare a Lamborghini V10 to a Fiat motor while we're at it? Get my drift....?
Yeah, you're right...that poor 4.6 just doesn't measure up does it?
Think volumetric efficiency here.
The pushrod n/a 3.8 makes 54hp per liter.
The hi-po CV 4.6 makes 54hp per liter.
The L67 makes 63hp per liter.
I'd say the 3.8 holds up pretty damn well against the technical wonder that is the 4.6.
Ok wait... Now you're throwing a supercharged engine into that, but you leave out the supercharged 4.6?

I'm still waiting for an INTELLIGENT reply...

How about the DOHC 4.6? 300hp, 4.6 liters, that works out to:

65hp per liter, more than your glorious L67, yet its N/A

Lets take a look at the supercharged 4.6 shall we? 390 horsepower, 4.6 liters....

That works out to:

85hp per liter...
DrCheeto is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Granville, Ohio ~NEBF '07 Survivor~
Posts: 5,001
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
petraman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Farewell Crown Vic

Originally Posted by DrCheeto
[Also, a "Stone Age" engine? You're kidding right? The 3800 has to be the biggest "stone age" engine still on the market... Designed in the 60'*, still using pushrods... (not to mention i've never heard of a 4.8 )
At least our cam was welded right
petraman is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GonneVille is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Farewell Crown Vic

Originally Posted by DrCheeto
Also, The comment about the transmission is untrue... the 4R70w , is regarded as one of the best RWD overdrive units on the market. It had some flaws in the early years, but now is known for its responsive shifting and reliability. (Research it, the word "bulletproof" is used quite a bit)
I didn't say it was unreliable or unresponsive, I said it was inefficient. 250hp, and it only does a high 16? Even at 4100lbs, that'* still pretty slow.
GonneVille is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrCheeto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Farewell Crown Vic

Originally Posted by GonneVille
Originally Posted by DrCheeto
Also, The comment about the transmission is untrue... the 4R70w , is regarded as one of the best RWD overdrive units on the market. It had some flaws in the early years, but now is known for its responsive shifting and reliability. (Research it, the word "bulletproof" is used quite a bit)
I didn't say it was unreliable or unresponsive, I said it was inefficient. 250hp, and it only does a high 16? Even at 4100lbs, that'* still pretty slow.
Yea, the reason for that is the "economy" gearing they always use .. 2.73 gears = slow.
DrCheeto is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 AM
  #35  
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GonneVille is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by DrCheeto
Originally Posted by GonneVille
Originally Posted by ChilinMichael
As far as comparing a 4.6 to a 3800, either way, whoever does it, is wrong to do so in my opinion. Why don't we compare a Lamborghini V10 to a Fiat motor while we're at it? Get my drift....?
Yeah, you're right...that poor 4.6 just doesn't measure up does it?
Think volumetric efficiency here.
The pushrod n/a 3.8 makes 54hp per liter.
The hi-po CV 4.6 makes 54hp per liter.
The L67 makes 63hp per liter.
I'd say the 3.8 holds up pretty damn well against the technical wonder that is the 4.6.
Ok wait... Now you're throwing a supercharged engine into that, but you leave out the supercharged 4.6?

I'm still waiting for an INTELLIGENT reply...

How about the DOHC 4.6? 300hp, 4.6 liters, that works out to:

65hp per liter, more than your glorious L67, yet its N/A

Lets take a look at the supercharged 4.6 shall we? 390 horsepower, 4.6 liters....

That works out to:

85hp per liter...
Did either of those motors ever make the Crown Vic? And yes, I know about the Marauder. I like them. But they're still not a match for the SSEi. As fast, maybe, but nowhere near the performer.
GonneVille is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:04 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrCheeto is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by GonneVille
Originally Posted by DrCheeto
Originally Posted by GonneVille
Originally Posted by ChilinMichael
As far as comparing a 4.6 to a 3800, either way, whoever does it, is wrong to do so in my opinion. Why don't we compare a Lamborghini V10 to a Fiat motor while we're at it? Get my drift....?
Yeah, you're right...that poor 4.6 just doesn't measure up does it?
Think volumetric efficiency here.
The pushrod n/a 3.8 makes 54hp per liter.
The hi-po CV 4.6 makes 54hp per liter.
The L67 makes 63hp per liter.
I'd say the 3.8 holds up pretty damn well against the technical wonder that is the 4.6.
Ok wait... Now you're throwing a supercharged engine into that, but you leave out the supercharged 4.6?

I'm still waiting for an INTELLIGENT reply...

How about the DOHC 4.6? 300hp, 4.6 liters, that works out to:

65hp per liter, more than your glorious L67, yet its N/A

Lets take a look at the supercharged 4.6 shall we? 390 horsepower, 4.6 liters....

That works out to:

85hp per liter...
Did either of those motors ever make the Crown Vic?
Depends on your definition of Crown Vic... (maurauder got the DOHC engine), however, You went from bashing on the 4.6 to changing the subject to what it was in... The 3800 has been in so many car'* its unbelievable... Asking at this point if it went in the crown vic is redundant.
DrCheeto is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrCheeto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Farewell Crown Vic

Originally Posted by petraman
Originally Posted by DrCheeto
[Also, a "Stone Age" engine? You're kidding right? The 3800 has to be the biggest "stone age" engine still on the market... Designed in the 60'*, still using pushrods... (not to mention i've never heard of a 4.8 )
At least our cam was welded right

ROFL, Referring to my signature?


Yea Yea... Ford Chose Elmers Glue...
DrCheeto is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:06 AM
  #38  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bonneville92V688 is on a distinguished road
Default

I can see this going nowhere like no other.
Bonneville92V688 is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:06 AM
  #39  
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GonneVille is on a distinguished road
Default

Sorry, DC, I ws editting while you were posting...
GonneVille is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 AM
  #40  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrCheeto is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by GonneVille
Sorry, DC, I ws editting while you were posting...
Well, I'm not here for a fight. Theyre both good engines, RIP to a staple in the automotive industry.


No hard feelings, eh?
DrCheeto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Farewell Crown Vic


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.