Do you hate America? - Page 7 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Closed Thread
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2004, 10:51 AM   #61
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,978
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Princess Jeanie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellbird
Why does only half the pop. vote? Well let'* see no matter what 40% of voters will vote strictly Republican. 40% will vote strictly Democrat, while the remaining 20% actually gives a damn about what a canidates views are.
Either way, they are still voting. You make it sound as though those who are voting stictly down party lines don't give a crap who they are voting for, but at least they jump in their car, drive across their township and stand in line to vote-obviously they care about something. Really, it'* not all of the votes end up canceling out eachother. Also, parties, like it or not are a quick check of what the people we are voting for *probably* stand for. The republicans or democrates aren't going to back someone who doesn't stand for most everything they do-so while it'* not a hundred percent, it'* a pretty reliable way to go about this.
Another rant, before I wrap this up. In my opinion, if you didn't vote you can't complain. Granted, if you are under eighteen or not a citizen of the US, you didn't have a choice-and I suppose you are free to share your opinions, but if you could have voted and didn't, then you are just as much at fault, if not more, then the people who did elect the person into office. If you want to get your way, go vote, then you can complain if things didn't go the way you wanted. /soapbox rantings
Princess Jeanie is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #62
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twister97 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister97
Yes, I could see it now; people MUST tip the barber, schools will have all the funding while the police force diminishes, our foreign policy will be run by construction workers while the defense plan will be initiated by the librarians. I dont think everything turns out great like 'Head of State' did.
Go ahead and make jokes, but you don't know what youre saying. Schools have crappy funding, police forces ARE being downsized and the U.*. foreign policy makes America look like a terrorist. So I guess the States are better off with what they have now?

Why does only half the pop. vote? Well let'* see no matter what 40% of voters will vote strictly Republican. 40% will vote strictly Democrat, while the remaining 20% actually gives a damn about what a canidates views are.
I dont know what im saying? Yea I do. What you said about America'* policy looking like a terrorist is quit distrubing, and I will leave that one alone so I dont get banned from BC. If your going to inlcude the ordinary worker, then you cant forget all the service men and women out there Because it seems like everyone hates the war, but they sure do support the troops. As far as schools go, you might of been to more than me, but in my 4 years of highschool I attended 3 different schools. 2 public and 1 private, and the one that hurt the most was the private one. Then not to mention all the other schools i visited due to sports or functions. I wont count my pre highschool years because I attended all DOD run schools. Yes, SOME police forces are being donwgraded while others are builiding up, just depends where you live and hear.

Look at half the population, some are handicap, some are elderly and dont even remember stuff (ie care homes), a lot are in prison, and most are too young. I am forgetting a lot, but once you add those up, then add in the people that dont care what is going on; you got yourself enough people to make up another nation. So that is why only half the population votes.
Twister97 is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #63
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago,IL MWBF '04 SURVIVOR MWBF '05 SURVIVOR Napa Manager
Posts: 3,955
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kennginn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister97
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister97
Yes, I could see it now; people MUST tip the barber, schools will have all the funding while the police force diminishes, our foreign policy will be run by construction workers while the defense plan will be initiated by the librarians. I dont think everything turns out great like 'Head of State' did.
Go ahead and make jokes, but you don't know what youre saying. Schools have crappy funding, police forces ARE being downsized and the U.*. foreign policy makes America look like a terrorist. So I guess the States are better off with what they have now?

Why does only half the pop. vote? Well let'* see no matter what 40% of voters will vote strictly Republican. 40% will vote strictly Democrat, while the remaining 20% actually gives a damn about what a canidates views are.
I dont know what im saying? Yea I do. What you said about America'* policy looking like a terrorist is quit distrubing, and I will leave that one alone so I dont get banned from BC. If your going to inlcude the ordinary worker, then you cant forget all the service men and women out there Because it seems like everyone hates the war, but they sure do support the troops. As far as schools go, you might of been to more than me, but in my 4 years of highschool I attended 3 different schools. 2 public and 1 private, and the one that hurt the most was the private one. Then not to mention all the other schools i visited due to sports or functions. I wont count my pre highschool years because I attended all DOD run schools. Yes, SOME police forces are being donwgraded while others are builiding up, just depends where you live and hear.

Look at half the population, some are handicap, some are elderly and dont even remember stuff (ie care homes), a lot are in prison, and most are too young. I am forgetting a lot, but once you add those up, then add in the people that dont care what is going on; you got yourself enough people to make up another nation. So that is why only half the population votes.
Kennginn is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #64
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,183
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miami is on a distinguished road
Default

I can see what Seth'* saying, though, in the sense that when it all comes down to "Democrats" and "Republicans," a lot of people (or at least a lot of the ones that express their opinions the most openly or forcefully) seem to resort to assumptions about what the other party thinks and why they think that way...and then the arguments spiral out of control from there. I agree with Jeanie in the sense that people that vote a straight ticket aren't necessarily not thinking. What worries me is hearing or reading so much from people who seem to think all people who consider themselves conservatives are "evil, rich, uncaring, closed-minded, jerks" or all people who consider themselves liberals are "commies or hippies or wusses" or whatever. Cripes...why does it have to come down to us and them. Both parties have some good ideas and bad ones. It'* all the fricken finger-pointing, generalizations, name-calling, and loaded language that leads to lazy thinking and lousy policy.
Miami is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #65
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Greater Cleveland area, Ohio
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kevo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
I agree with Jeanie in the sense that people that vote a straight ticket aren't necessarily not thinking.
I agree. You know, this brings up another valid point. I am a registered Republican, but do want to vote for some other runners on certain elections/issues. However, if you are marked down as a certain party, you can't vote for other party people in the primaries. This incldes judges and other local level canidates. I think this is wrong. This is also why many simply vote the party lines.

For example, when you sign in to vote they look at your name and party affiliation. Next you go into the booth and then ONLY the canidates of your party light up as choices to pick from. So if you want Bush, and Dewine(Senate), both Republicans, and also want to pick a Democrat for the House, you are out of luck.

I think you can sign up as an independant, but then you are barred from voting on some of the issues. So it'* a catch 22 situation.

Is this just me or has anyone else thought about this? For you Canadians, how does it work with you?
kevo is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #66
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,183
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miami is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo
Quote:
I agree with Jeanie in the sense that people that vote a straight ticket aren't necessarily not thinking.
I agree. You know, this brings up another valid point. I am a registered Republican, but do want to vote for some other runners on certain elections/issues. However, if you are marked down as a certain party, you can't vote for other party people in the primaries. This incldes judges and other local level canidates. I think this is wrong. This is also why many simply vote the party lines.

For example, when you sign in to vote they look at your name and party affiliation. Next you go into the booth and then ONLY the canidates of your party light up as choices to pick from. So if you want Bush, and Dewine(Senate), both Republicans, and also want to pick a Democrat for the House, you are out of luck.

I think you can sign up as an independant, but then you are barred from voting on some of the issues. So it'* a catch 22 situation.

Is this just me or has anyone else thought about this? For you Canadians, how does it work with you?
I know what you mean. I registered as an independent, but every time I vote they try to put me in a party...
Miami is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 04:23 PM   #67
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,978
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Princess Jeanie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo
Quote:
I agree with Jeanie in the sense that people that vote a straight ticket aren't necessarily not thinking.
I agree. You know, this brings up another valid point. I am a registered Republican, but do want to vote for some other runners on certain elections/issues. However, if you are marked down as a certain party, you can't vote for other party people in the primaries. This incldes judges and other local level canidates. I think this is wrong. This is also why many simply vote the party lines.

For example, when you sign in to vote they look at your name and party affiliation. Next you go into the booth and then ONLY the canidates of your party light up as choices to pick from. So if you want Bush, and Dewine(Senate), both Republicans, and also want to pick a Democrat for the House, you are out of luck.

I think you can sign up as an independant, but then you are barred from voting on some of the issues. So it'* a catch 22 situation.

Is this just me or has anyone else thought about this? For you Canadians, how does it work with you?
I know what you mean. I registered as an independent, but every time I vote they try to put me in a party...
I don't think we have to register for a party in Mich, Is this just a state to state thing?
Princess Jeanie is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 04:51 PM   #68
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Greater Cleveland area, Ohio
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kevo is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm not sure. I think you have to pick something even if it is independant. I don't think I can simply go in and pick whoever of any party as well as vote on all the issues.

Maybe some others will chime in and help figure this all out?
kevo is offline  
Old 07-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #69
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,684
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
smellbird is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami
It'* all the fricken finger-pointing, generalizations, name-calling, and loaded language that leads to lazy thinking and lousy policy.
And somehow this is what politics (and this thread) have evovled into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Twister97
What you said about America'* policy looking like a terrorist is quit distrubing,
It is meant to be disturbing.
smellbird is offline  
Old 07-19-2004, 07:08 PM   #70
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 604
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ratmfan2118 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami
It'* all the fricken finger-pointing, generalizations, name-calling, and loaded language that leads to lazy thinking and lousy policy.
And somehow this is what politics (and this thread) have evovled into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Twister97
What you said about America'* policy looking like a terrorist is quit distrubing,
It is meant to be disturbing.
'sometimes the truth hurts
ratmfan2118 is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In America, you can be anything you want... sonoma_zr2 Lounge 3 02-12-2008 01:11 PM
Hate it hate it hate it!!! MOS95B Lounge 3 02-22-2005 12:05 AM
UPDATE - Only in America (Sorry Canada, this one is ours) Ol' Timer Lounge 21 04-28-2004 02:05 PM
Canadian or United States of America? DeathRat Lounge 66 03-09-2004 06:43 PM
AMERICA VS. RUSSIA BadTA00 Lounge 0 12-28-2003 02:09 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.