Considering purchasing a 97 Trans Sport SE..... thoughts? - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: deep woods of SE North Carolina
Posts: 258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ramsrule is on a distinguished road
Default Considering purchasing a 97 Trans Sport SE..... thoughts?

I've gotten into negotiations with the owner of a what looks to be a nice 97 Pontiac Trans Sport SE minivan with a 3400, two-tone Hunter Green/Gold paint with tan cloth interior. Vehicle has 120k on it, and from what he'* told me the tranny was replaced 6 months ago along with a major brake job within the last 2 months(pads and rotors).

Anybody have anything to share on the Trans Sport? This was the first year after a major redesign and the van'* look better than the older, space ship looking TS'*.

I'm guessing I can get it for 2500...... maybe cheaper.

Thanks for any replies in advance.
Ramsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crzydmnd72 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Considering purchasing a 97 Trans Sport SE..... thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsrule
I've gotten into negotiations with the owner of a what looks to be a nice 97 Pontiac Trans Sport SE minivan with a 3400, two-tone Hunter Green/Gold paint with tan cloth interior. Vehicle has 120k on it, and from what he'* told me the tranny was replaced 6 months ago along with a major brake job within the last 2 months(pads and rotors).

Anybody have anything to share on the Trans Sport? This was the first year after a major redesign and the van'* look better than the older, space ship looking TS'*.

I'm guessing I can get it for 2500...... maybe cheaper.

Thanks for any replies in advance.
My sister had one, trans did go out and wasnt worth messing with at 160k. Her failures included LIM gasket, belt tensioner and alternator. Alternator is located in a REALLY tight area, so it doesnt pay to skimp on the quality there, as you will not want to change it often.

Other than that, nice people mover, Okay MPG (24ish) and not hard to drive.
crzydmnd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,249
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
92BonneSE is on a distinguished road
Default

My mom has a '98 Venture and within the last couple months sometimes it started pouring out coolant, I mean like a steady stream. Most of the time it wont leak, once awhile it just starts pouring out. I also hate how long it takes before the darn thing will warm up and blow heat.

BTW my mom has 92,000 on hers.

Also, my dad works for GM, and he found a chart that had the expected engine lifetimes on it a few years ago, and I believe for this motor it was 125,000. Do NOT count on what I just said, its just from my poor memory. I will ask him tomorrow if he still has it.

Anyone want to change the spark plugs on my mother'*?
92BonneSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crzydmnd72 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92BonneSE
My mom has a '98 Venture and within the last couple months sometimes it started pouring out coolant, I mean like a steady stream. Most of the time it wont leak, once awhile it just starts pouring out. I also hate how long it takes before the darn thing will warm up and blow heat.

BTW my mom has 92,000 on hers.

Also, my dad works for GM, and he found a chart that had the expected engine lifetimes on it a few years ago, and I believe for this motor it was 125,000. Do NOT count on what I just said, its just from my poor memory. I will ask him tomorrow if he still has it.

Anyone want to change the spark plugs on my mother'*?
you'd think they could have put a panel or doghouse inside to work with... ala Astro/fullsize style.
crzydmnd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,993
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JimmyFloyd is on a distinguished road
Default

I found this by me incase you were interested:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/car/253336756.html

1999 transport, 125K $2400
JimmyFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydmnd72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92BonneSE
My mom has a '98 Venture and within the last couple months sometimes it started pouring out coolant, I mean like a steady stream. Most of the time it wont leak, once awhile it just starts pouring out. I also hate how long it takes before the darn thing will warm up and blow heat.

BTW my mom has 92,000 on hers.

Also, my dad works for GM, and he found a chart that had the expected engine lifetimes on it a few years ago, and I believe for this motor it was 125,000. Do NOT count on what I just said, its just from my poor memory. I will ask him tomorrow if he still has it.

Anyone want to change the spark plugs on my mother'*?
you'd think they could have put a panel or doghouse inside to work with... ala Astro/fullsize style.
Even with the doghouse, you can't see an Astro'* engine...

The Trans Sports ain't too bad looking, but that'* all I know about them. I did have blueprints for changing one of the older ones into a StarFleet shuttle craft at one time, tho
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #7
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crzydmnd72 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydmnd72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92BonneSE
My mom has a '98 Venture and within the last couple months sometimes it started pouring out coolant, I mean like a steady stream. Most of the time it wont leak, once awhile it just starts pouring out. I also hate how long it takes before the darn thing will warm up and blow heat.

BTW my mom has 92,000 on hers.

Also, my dad works for GM, and he found a chart that had the expected engine lifetimes on it a few years ago, and I believe for this motor it was 125,000. Do NOT count on what I just said, its just from my poor memory. I will ask him tomorrow if he still has it.

Anyone want to change the spark plugs on my mother'*?
you'd think they could have put a panel or doghouse inside to work with... ala Astro/fullsize style.
Even with the doghouse, you can't see an Astro'* engine...

The Trans Sports ain't too bad looking, but that'* all I know about them. I did have blueprints for changing one of the older ones into a StarFleet shuttle craft at one time, tho


They are bigger than they look too, you can stack a lotta junk in them.
crzydmnd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

The 3400 isn't a horrible motor, although the intake gaskets will fail. Not a possibility, it'* a definate. They will fail.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: deep woods of SE North Carolina
Posts: 258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ramsrule is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Considering purchasing a 97 Trans Sport SE..... thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydmnd72
My sister had one, trans did go out and wasnt worth messing with at 160k. Her failures included LIM gasket, belt tensioner and alternator. Alternator is located in a REALLY tight area, so it doesnt pay to skimp on the quality there, as you will not want to change it often.

Other than that, nice people mover, Okay MPG (24ish) and not hard to drive.
Thanks for the info..... yeah, the pic I was sent of the engine compartment.... that was the first thing I noticed. It looks ike that sucka is UNDER the dash! I pray that I'd not ever have to change it. The way my luck goes.....that would be the first thing to go.

I wonder if the coolent issue that 92BonneSE mentions is related to LIM gaskets? Sounds like this needs to be the first thing done to it if/when I get it along with ditching the DexCool battery acid if it'* still got it. I'm guessing from the miles that it doesnt, but if it does that would be a bad sign. Heh heh....
Ramsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: deep woods of SE North Carolina
Posts: 258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ramsrule is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
The Trans Sports ain't too bad looking, but that'* all I know about them. I did have blueprints for changing one of the older ones into a StarFleet shuttle craft at one time, tho
Man, I swear the older ones, especially the white ones, looked like something out of Battlestar Gallactica.
Ramsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trans Sport Quits! Trans sporter Pontiac 16 02-12-2015 08:20 PM
1998 Trans Sport molczak714 Pontiac 8 01-04-2013 02:05 PM
weak engine starting problems 98 Trans Sport felipe806 Pontiac 7 11-13-2012 02:36 PM
Considering purchasing a '04/'05 GXP, but a few ? first ntwrkguy1 General GM Chat 16 10-18-2007 01:05 AM
Thinking of purchasing new 2002 SSEi gsmitty General GM Chat 14 01-02-2003 12:18 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.