What the heck was that? - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


General GM Chat When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made. Chat about all things GM (and related cars). Off-topic stuff should be in the Lounge, and all Model specific mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 536
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AD Bear is on a distinguished road
Default What the heck was that?

While driving to Indiana to get gas yesterday I noticed my car was jerking
during shifting. It would jerk at about 15, then again at 25-28, and 35-40 mph
what the heck is that? This was not happening last week. I checked the trans
fluid and it look fine. Could this be something else? I Hope!!!! Please, Any info
would be greatly appreciated!!!
AD Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mista_sse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What the heck was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bear
While driving to Indiana to get gas yesterday I noticed my car was jerking
during shifting. It would jerk at about 15, then again at 25-28, and 35-40 mph
what the heck is that? This was not happening last week. I checked the trans
fluid and it look fine. Could this be something else? I Hope!!!! Please, Any info
would be greatly appreciated!!!
Welcome to tha land of the most watered down gas in tha whole U.* of A! na, I don't know actually, what gas station did U stop at? usually little unknown gas stations can cause a problem for your engine. I've done that before gas up at some place because it was dirt cheap but never again, I had to run all that cheap *** gas out, it was making my car have tha same symptoms (assuming all of this happend after U pumped gas)
pretty sure it'* nothin' maybe your car juss has "bad gas"
mista_sse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom88 is on a distinguished road
Default

How many miles do you have? After you get to a certain amount of miles the transmission won't shift like it used to. I know that on our 00 SSEi with 42,000 miles the shifts are flawless and you don't even feel them. With my 97 with 106,000 miles you can feel a slight jerk at every gear shift. parts just wear out after a while and they don't work as well as when they had fewer miles on them. How rough of a jerk is this? It doesn't feel like it'* slamming into gears does it? Or is it just a slight jerk that you feel as it shifts gears (not rough, but just barely felt)
Custom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 11,307
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bonnie94ssei is on a distinguished road
Default

One night I was driving around and all the sudden when I pressed the gas firmly and accelerated, the car would jerk forward very roughly, and randomly (not only at the shift points) all the way up to 70mph +. It was not a smooth acceleration at ALL. I thought it was a fuel problem or something, I would have thought it was my wires/plugs but I had just changed them a couple weeks prior. Every acceleration for the next 10 minutes it would do this. Then I tried shutting the car off and starting it again. And it was GONE. Like nothing happened. I wonder if this jerking I had was like what you had.
bonnie94ssei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 536
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AD Bear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What the heck was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista_sse
Welcome to tha land of the most watered down gas in tha whole U.* of A! na, I don't know actually, what gas station did U stop at? usually little unknown gas stations can cause a problem for your engine. I've done that before gas up at some place because it was dirt cheap but never again, I had to run all that cheap *** gas out, it was making my car have tha same symptoms (assuming all of this happend after U pumped gas)
pretty sure it'* nothin' maybe your car juss has "bad gas"
You were right This morning the jerking was gone. On sat I stop at Citco on 107th an Halsted (for those in chicago) and put in $5 of 87 octane gas Because I was on E and needed something keep me going till Sunday so I could go to Indiana and there I fill
up on Mobile 89 octane. It'* funny that different gas can make your car feel differently.
AD Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 536
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AD Bear is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie94sse
One night I was driving around and all the sudden when I pressed the gas firmly and accelerated, the car would jerk forward very roughly, and randomly (not only at the shift points) all the way up to 70mph +. It was not a smooth acceleration at ALL. I thought it was a fuel problem or something, I would have thought it was my wires/plugs but I had just changed them a couple weeks prior. Every acceleration for the next 10 minutes it would do this. Then I tried shutting the car off and starting it again. And it was GONE. Like nothing happened. I wonder if this jerking I had was like what you had.
I think It was just the gas. This Morning It she ran fine no Jerking. So no more
Citco gas for me. Thanks everyone for your post. And jr's3800 I will also check that
to make sure.
AD Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
..the heck? LittleHoov General GM Chat 24 07-15-2004 08:55 PM
Whoa what the heck is this and i wonder if it works! killer_cr80r Lounge 48 07-07-2004 10:07 AM
How the heck do you drain the coolant? NERV 1992-1999 16 06-22-2004 12:14 PM
Must read, funny as heck Burgundy_Boat Lounge 11 10-28-2003 01:36 AM
Where the heck is everyone??? Burgundy_Boat Lounge 4 08-25-2003 07:31 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.