The Little Black Box.....were you aware? - Page 4 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


General GM Chat When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made. Chat about all things GM (and related cars). Off-topic stuff should be in the Lounge, and all Model specific mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2004, 12:47 AM   #31
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ab,ca
Posts: 1,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 trofeo is on a distinguished road
Default

Go ask for warrenty info, there are terms,
GPS has all info logged into it.
GM trucks are already electonicly limited to 97mph
cars- Onstar will come over the system and tell you you are exeeding the limits of your vehilce (ie. more the dubble speedlimit, I would presume they know posted limits) if its a vette, onstar would probably buzz you to tell you your speed, and remind you of warrenty terms (THEY WILL NOT SEND YOU A SPEEDING TICKET) They my, if you have removed the governer, and are doing more then what the vehicle is capable of. Shut off your vehicle, and call the police. Mind you why would you keep your onstar modules if your modding you vehicle?
1992 trofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:14 AM   #32
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mikey is on a distinguished road
Default

you'd keep your onstar because if your car gets stolen you can get it back. but at the same time insurance covers that

I think if they remove your warranty for speeding, there going to have a hard time selling sports cars like the gto, c6, etc etc. as soon as one of these cases happens there'* going to be a huge stink about it, i don't think they can even legally do it. how can they say sure this car can do 170mph with 400hp, but if you ever break 85 you have no warranty? not going to fly
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:23 AM   #33
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
acg_ssei is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 trofeo
Go ask for warrenty info, there are terms,
As you raised this point, I was hoping that you could cite those terms for us.

Quote:
GPS has all info logged into it.
What info are you referring to?

Quote:
GM trucks are already electonicly limited to 97mph
Quite likely, and having a governor on a car to limit its top speed is common. The exact setting of the governor may vary depending on the equipment of that particular car (e.g. a car equipped with high-speed rated tires may have a higher governor limit than one without the speed rating), but that'* a designed-in limit, not a warranty enforcement.

Quote:
cars- Onstar will come over the system and tell you you are exeeding the limits of your vehilce
See, this is where I think you're tipping over the border into tinfoil-hat land. Under _exactly_ what circumstances would Onstar make an outbound call to report something happening in your car other than an airbag deployment? When would Onstar ever make an inbound call?

More specifically, do you have any _firsthand_ knowledge of this _ever_ happening?

Quote:
(ie. more the dubble speedlimit, I would presume they know posted limits)
*boggle* They know the posted limits of every point of every road in this land, and know exactly which road you're on, and are monitoring your every movement? Think about the logistics of actually doing that. Think about what that would do to GM car sales if they really did.

Quote:
if its a vette, onstar would probably buzz you to tell you your speed, and remind you of warrenty terms
Again, you need to cite an actual example of this actually happening. Heck, just making the phone call would expose them to more liability than they would want: surprising a driver who is (in your scenario) already operating a car at high speed and distracting him; possibly making the call in a municipal area where cellphone calls while driving are restricted or prohibited, etc. (What if the driver doesn't speak English? What if he doesn't know how to operate Onstar? etc.)

Quote:
(THEY WILL NOT SEND YOU A SPEEDING TICKET)
Of course not; they have no legal authority for that.

Quote:
They my, if you have removed the governer, and are doing more then what the vehicle is capable of.
Let me interrupt you here and point out that _that_ could void your warranty, but it would be due to tampering with original equipment, not a driving violation.

Quote:
Shut off your vehicle, and call the police.
Oh, c'mon. There is no way on God'* green earth that Onstar is going to reach out through the ether and shut down an operating car moving at high speed.

Quote:
Mind you why would you keep your onstar modules if your modding you vehicle?
Because Onstar has a useful role for people who want to splurge on that service, but it does not have the Big Brother aspects that you are claiming.
acg_ssei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #34
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CFoote is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree. I can't see how this would happen either. GM would get thrown into court for it, and no one would be buying a Vette!

It'* the owners responsibility to drive safely. If these vehicles are not engineered to go fast, than they should be putting governors on them that restrict their speed to 85 (or whatever).

Can we page any newer Bonneville owners and have them call Onstar about this question? That would solve the issue easily....
CFoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:19 PM   #35
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ab,ca
Posts: 1,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 trofeo is on a distinguished road
Default

A)Why would I take time to quote my warrenty terms if you think im just full of **** anyway?

B)Onstar has been used to help court cases already, and they will use there power how they please.

C)Funny thing about GPS It knows just about everything about what its attached to, in this instance, its a module which is encorperated into the module system of the vehicle.

D)Even if you dont pay for onstar, if its in your vehicle, and the air bag deploys onstar will ask if you need assistance. (therefore its always connected)

E) for the hell of it i'll quote my onstar manual.
"GPS ISSUES"
"Information about you, your vehicle or your vehicle'* location may be used to administer OnStar services and respond to legal requirements or legal process."
1992 trofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #36
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
acg_ssei is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 trofeo
A)Why would I take time to quote my warrenty terms if you think im just full of **** anyway?
You asserted that the warranty would be revoked if the owner was speeding; we just asked for the citation in the warranty that states that, and/or any specific cases that you knew of where that had occurred.

Quote:
B)Onstar has been used to help court cases already, and they will use there power how they please.
I'm sure they will provide whatever data they have if they're subpoenaed; I'm not sure what you're referring to by "using their power how they please."

Quote:
C)Funny thing about GPS It knows just about everything about what its attached to, in this instance, its a module which is encorperated into the module system of the vehicle.
Agreed, but you're suggesting that it'* tracking every vehicle in real time and reporting speeding violations, and we're asking you if you know of any such instances of that happening.

Quote:
D)Even if you dont pay for onstar, if its in your vehicle, and the air bag deploys onstar will ask if you need assistance. (therefore its always connected)
Yes, it'* programmed to "phone home" if there'* an airbag deployment. However, it does not spontaneously call outbound from the car under any other circumstances that I'm aware of, nor am I aware of any instance where Onstar called _to_ the car to tell the driver that his warranty was revoked. Again, if you know of a specific case of this happening, please tell us.

Quote:
E) for the hell of it i'll quote my onstar manual.
"GPS ISSUES"
"Information about you, your vehicle or your vehicle'* location may be used to administer OnStar services and respond to legal requirements or legal process."
Agreed, they can find your vehicle'* location if they want to. This does not mean that they're actively monitoring it or your driving.

Incidentally, the newest cellphones also broadcast their GPS data for location purposes. For example, my Audiovox CDM-8900 can be configured to _not_ broadcast it if you want to suppress that in routine calls, although it is always broadcast if you're calling 911.
acg_ssei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:21 PM   #37
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ab,ca
Posts: 1,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 trofeo is on a distinguished road
Default

I dont see how any of this applys to YOU, but heres what youve been waiting for
NO I have not experienced this first hand. Seeing as how my trucks are electronicly limited to 97mph. YES I have heard of GM using OnStars help in court cases. GPS is "real time" give or take a few miliseconds. Of course they cant have every single OnStar vehicle on a map of north america on a computer screen displaying things like, speed, seat belts, transmission heat, ect. There are limits though like when an airbag deploys it sends a signal to onstar, and it pops up on someones screen saying "air bag alert" then it would probably pop up another screen with vehicle status. Only reason I know this is done with certain speed factors is because of those OnStar radio advertisments.

Opening of advertisment you hear this exhaust, then a rush of air, then onstar comes over and says ----Ring-Ring----"Sir, you are exceeding the limits of you vehicle. If you do not reduce your speed in 30seconds we will remotly shut off your vehicle, and call local police..... Thank you for reducing your speed, and incidently your warrenty is now void. Have a nice day."

I dont know what it was, it could have been a modded vette without a limiter going 210mph down the freeway...

I could still care less about qouting my warrenty terms, but theres somthing in there about exceeding the limits of your vehicle.
1992 trofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:27 PM   #38
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
acg_ssei is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 trofeo
There are limits though like when an airbag deploys it sends a signal to onstar, and it pops up on someones screen saying "air bag alert" then it would probably pop up another screen with vehicle status.
Agreed, and _this_ they have advertised in radio ads; I've heard them myself. The airbag deploys, and an outbound call to Onstar is triggered. (Note that it'* the _car_ calling _out_; it'* not Onstar calling in.)

Quote:
Only reason I know this is done with certain speed factors is because of those OnStar radio advertisments.

Opening of advertisment you hear this exhaust, then a rush of air, then onstar comes over and says ----Ring-Ring----"Sir, you are exceeding the limits of you vehicle. If you do not reduce your speed in 30seconds we will remotly shut off your vehicle, and call local police..... Thank you for reducing your speed, and incidently your warrenty is now void. Have a nice day."
But this I have never heard, it doesn't sound like an Onstar ad, and it doesn't sound like something that Onstar would remotely think of doing, for all the liability reasons we've mentioned before. I've also done Google searches for any web mentions of this phrase, and searched on-line Urban Legends sites for any such stories involving Onstar. I'm turning up blanks everywhere on this. It would _really_ help if you could come up with a cite and/or a source for this ad that would enable us to hear it for ourselves.
acg_ssei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #39
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ab,ca
Posts: 1,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 trofeo is on a distinguished road
Default

maybe onstar? I have no clue what radio you listen too, there was more of a 2way conversation going on, and thats as much of an indirect qoute as you can get so a search isnt going to do any help. Why dont you search for court cases involving OnStar(thats where the real facts are) and I could care less if you think im full of ****. Its not going to keep me awake at night.
1992 trofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:10 PM   #40
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
acg_ssei is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 trofeo
maybe onstar?
I was hoping somebody with an Onstar account could call them up and ask; yes.

Quote:
I have no clue what radio you listen too, there was more of a 2way conversation going on, and thats as much of an indirect qoute as you can get so a search isnt going to do any help. Why dont you search for court cases involving OnStar(thats where the real facts are) and I could care less if you think im full of ****.
I never said that.
acg_ssei is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Were You aware.. SSEimatt93 Lounge 30 02-19-2006 11:27 AM
Little black box next to the airbox Mayhem_3 1992-1999 5 04-02-2003 06:54 PM
Little Black Box....Good or Bad? SSEi95 General GM Chat 18 02-13-2003 01:07 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.