Found my governor - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


General GM Chat When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made. Chat about all things GM (and related cars). Off-topic stuff should be in the Lounge, and all Model specific mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #1
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default Found my governor

I just found out that I can't over 108MPH, no matter what. Not bad though. It got up there in a decent amount of time.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
Burgundy_Boat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Found my governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
I just found out that I can't over 108MPH, no matter what. Not bad though. It got up there in a decent amount of time.
hey, if you could time your 0-100 i would be greatly apreciate it. and on the 108, do what i tell you and you'll get 110 or 111 out of it.

1. accelerate to 105 or so however you want
2. let the tranny go to 4th gear and lockup
3. give it enough gas to accelerate while still staying in 4th and lockup
4. when you reach 108 or when you stop accelerating, floor it

by the time the computer realizes what'* happening and pulls enough timing to stop you your doing 110-111 or so
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:18 PM   #3
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default

I'll try that sometime.

What do you mean when you say "lockup" ?
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ab,ca
Posts: 1,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 trofeo is on a distinguished road
Default lol

I don't like lock up and 108 in the same sentance.
1992 trofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
Burgundy_Boat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
I'll try that sometime.

What do you mean when you say "lockup" ?
lockup = TCC lockup = torque converter lockup


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 trofeo
I don't like lock up and 108 in the same sentance.
LMAO trofeo, that'* funny. BTW, read it again, "108" and "lockup" are NOT, i repeat NOT in the same sentence
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm not following that.... can you tell me it in a easier version?
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Ol' Timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey - Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted
Posts: 1,483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ol' Timer is on a distinguished road
Default

Don't take this the wrong way as I'm all for finding our limits every ONCE in awhile. But I personally wouldn't make it a habit of finding the "outer limits" of our vehicles. Sometimes I think it was a good idea to limit my Speedo to 85mph as even I "buried" that needle on a clear patch of asphalt in sunny Florida last year. I see my share of Jersey Drivers pass me on the interstate like I was standing still. But if you get caught in this state doing 108mph, you would find that our Governor mandates that you collect 5 points on your license, pay a $400 fine(doubled from $200 becuase it was in a 65mph zone) and(surprise, surprise, surprise) get hit with a BIG surcharge on your insurance premium FOR THREE FRIK"N YEARS which is already the most expensive in the US of A.

Which begs the question.......Why the hell am I living here!!!???
Ol' Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:53 PM   #8
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Timer
Don't take this the wrong way as I'm all for finding our limits every ONCE in awhile. But I personally wouldn't make it a habit of finding the "outer limits" of our vehicles. Sometimes I think it was a good idea to limit my Speedo to 85mph as even I "buried" that needle on a clear patch of asphalt in sunny Florida last year. I see my share of Jersey Drivers pass me on the interstate like I was standing still. But if you get caught in this state doing 108mph, you would find that our Governor mandates that you collect 5 points on your license, pay a $400 fine(doubled from $200 becuase it was in a 65mph zone) and(surprise, surprise, surprise) get hit with a BIG surcharge on your insurance premium FOR THREE FRIK"N YEARS which is already the most expensive in the US of A.

Which begs the question.......Why the hell am I living here!!!???
Yeah, its not something I do all the time. I find it very scary going that fast.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Ol' Timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey - Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted
Posts: 1,483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ol' Timer is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
[
Yeah, its not something I do all the time. I find it very scary going that fast.
Thank you, I feel better now. Here'* your keys back. You may continue to drive. Just don't let me catch you talking with those Bonneville Boys again!
Ol' Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes father.....
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
found a stripped governor gear jwfirebird Pontiac 0 06-02-2013 03:31 PM
The governor is back there somewhere..... OLBlueEyesBonne Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 8 07-20-2003 08:50 PM
temporary governor disablement Burgundy_Boat Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 29 07-07-2003 06:19 PM
97 SSEI.... kill em all !!! Except for that stupid governor Drifter420 General GM Chat 19 10-01-2002 09:28 AM
Governor.. speedo question Drifter420 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 7 08-22-2002 06:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.