Driving style question - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


General GM Chat When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made. Chat about all things GM (and related cars). Off-topic stuff should be in the Lounge, and all Model specific mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
harofreak00 is on a distinguished road
Default

If you leave it in first, but don't go to WOT, it will stay in first.

If you leave it in first, and go to WOT, it will shift to 2nd, acting exactly like you had put the selector in 2nd. It will only get to the top of 2nd gear.
harofreak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edinboro, PA
Posts: 567
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jbmark33 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harofreak00
If you leave it in first, and go to WOT, it will shift to 2nd, acting exactly like you had put the selector in 2nd. It will only get to the top of 2nd gear.
Right... does keeping the shift selector in 2nd make it shift at the same rpms as leaving it in 3rd of OD?

I sometimes also enjoy leaving it in first, run it up to 40mph or so (4,500 rpms) and just letting off the gas and listening to the engine... is this bad too?

I never ever downshift unless it'* winter and I HAVE to.
jbmark33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
harofreak00 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmark33
Right... does keeping the shift selector in 2nd make it shift at the same rpms as leaving it in 3rd of OD?
at WOT, yes
harofreak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driving style question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolly87
I did this with the tempo all the time, and I find myself doing it with this car. I like a spirited takeoff, the 3800 sounds great when it gets encouraged , but in an effort to preserve the motor/transmission, I run it to about 30mph in first, let off the gas, and jump back on it after it shifts. Is this preserviing anything? Is it breaking anything? I just feel guilty everytime it shifts under full load, and i know it is not the best for it. Advice?

BTW, I never do this in mom'* taurus, stupid thing shifts stupid slow.
I see what you are saying... But I will say this, if you are getting on it and then letting off right before the shift and then hitting it again before the shift is complete you may be adding more slip to the clutches than it you had just let it shift on its own...

The one thing I might tell you to do is to add an adjustable shift modulator and firm the shifts up a hair, nothing hard or solid just slightly firmer... This will both shorten your shifts and make them feel a bit more positive.. The 60-E is a good trans if its taken care of..

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
rjolly87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 6,854
Thanked 298 Times in 246 Posts
rjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant futurerjolly87 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving style question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolly87
I did this with the tempo all the time, and I find myself doing it with this car. I like a spirited takeoff, the 3800 sounds great when it gets encouraged , but in an effort to preserve the motor/transmission, I run it to about 30mph in first, let off the gas, and jump back on it after it shifts. Is this preserviing anything? Is it breaking anything? I just feel guilty everytime it shifts under full load, and i know it is not the best for it. Advice?

BTW, I never do this in mom'* taurus, stupid thing shifts stupid slow.
I see what you are saying... But I will say this, if you are getting on it and then letting off right before the shift and then hitting it again before the shift is complete you may be adding more slip to the clutches than it you had just let it shift on its own...

The one thing I might tell you to do is to add an adjustable shift modulator and firm the shifts up a hair, nothing hard or solid just slightly firmer... This will both shorten your shifts and make them feel a bit more positive.. The 60-E is a good trans if its taken care of..
where can said item be obtained
rjolly87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

Any parts store should have a Trans Modulator for your car... Most will run $20-$30..

What you are really doing with this is raising the line pressure a little

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
putertopia is on a distinguished road
Default

I think I paid $22 @ NAPA for my modulator. I don't let all the way off when it shifts, and I don't manually shift up in gears. Sometimes when I'm getting off the highway I'll bump it down to third, then 2nd @ 50 just because of all the brake dust I get.

I typically don't have it WOT past 50 MPH anyhow, so I use first gear to get up there real quick and ease off real fast around 5900RPM and allow it shifts 1-2, 2-3 and continue cruising til OD locks in.
putertopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, _______Canada._______ West Coast Bonneville Fest ___05,06,07 Survivor___
Posts: 8,134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSEimatt93 is on a distinguished road
Default

WOT baby, chirp right on into second gear!
SSEimatt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #19
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spokane, Wash.
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fastblkbeauty is on a distinguished road
Default

Okay, I must be a little on the slow side, I would respond, but can't figure out WTF WOT means. (And I know after one of you'* says it, I am going to feel reeeaaallllllly embareassed.... )
fastblkbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #20
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
putertopia is on a distinguished road
Default

WOT = Wide Open Throttle
putertopia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
driving lights off while driving 99bonne Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 2 01-25-2008 02:30 AM
please help answer my question about engine style coolgil1 General GM Chat 17 03-01-2004 10:39 PM
Fastest 87-91 style Bonneville? Blk_Bonneville 1987-1991 23 06-25-2003 01:59 PM
An intense list of links for almost anything! Q&A style DrJay General GM Chat 10 06-09-2003 03:35 AM
what do we drive....A bonneville, but what body style? 2000 Silver SSEI General GM Chat 31 03-06-2003 08:29 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.