Gauge cluster going hay wire - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Everything Electrical & Electronic Have an electrical problem? Lighting, Alternators, gauges, DIC, HUD, etc? Post it here. Please post Audio problems in the Audio forum, and Engine control problems in the appropriate Mechanical forum for your year.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

That is the part that is tough to say. I wish we had a method of testing a known good one in your car. That would be the definitive answer here.

I have an SSE (NA) cluster at home in unknown condition.. and there'* the problem. It'* unknown. I wouldn't want to send one to you as a test w/o knowing it is good.

Overall..I guess I would put a 75% chance on something being bad internally to your cluster.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigbadbonneville is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
That is the part that is tough to say. I wish we had a method of testing a known good one in your car. That would be the definitive answer here.

I have an SSE (NA) cluster at home in unknown condition.. and there'* the problem. It'* unknown. I wouldn't want to send one to you as a test w/o knowing it is good.

Overall..I guess I would put a 75% chance on something being bad internally to your cluster.
yeah you got that right, the weird thing is it will work fine for about 2 -3 sometimes 5 miles then it goes crazy again - (Sorry I have a simular thread on this under 1992-1995 (instrumental gauge cluster relay - true or false Sorry for the similar threads). If I purchase a new one, would the mileage be at 0 miles. Oh also it really didn't take long to do this procedure as long as you take your time and work things with a clear head.
bigbadbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

I have done a bit of electronics dabbling (larger scale parts than the cluster) and have seen a single bad solder joint open up after years and become an intermittent issue. That is what I am eluding to in the prior post.

ToastedOats works in this size electronics and I think the failure rate is lower than the larger parts I am used to...but there is still a failure rate.

On the mileage, if you got another cluster. You could take it apart as you did this one and change over the piece that has the mileage on it'* display. By changing that one piece you retain your existing mileage.

Edit: On another thought... if I sent you the main PCB'* (circuit boards) from this one..you could possibly swap them into your cluster and test if that was the issue. But again..are these good boards I'd be sending is the problem.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigbadbonneville is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
I have done a bit of electronics dabbling (larger scale parts than the cluster) and have seen a single bad solder joint open up after years and become an intermittent issue. That is what I am eluding to in the prior post.

ToastedOats works in this size electronics and I think the failure rate is lower than the larger parts I am used to...but there is still a failure rate.

On the mileage, if you got another cluster. You could take it apart as you did this one and change over the piece that has the mileage on it'* display. By changing that one piece you retain your existing mileage.

Edit: On another thought... if I sent you the main PCB'* (circuit boards) from this one..you could possibly swap them into your cluster and test if that was the issue. But again..are these good boards I'd be sending is the problem.
Thank you Bill, what I will do instead is go to a junk yard near by, (Crazy Rays) and see if they have any (they go for around $25) and test it that way. My question is what if it works just like mine does for around 3- 5 miles and starts going nuts again. - what should I look for then - (possibly the positive wire on the battery? - maybe) all connections are in new condition and Optima battery - but alternator is still Original.
bigbadbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

I wouldn't be looking toward the alternator unless you know it'* putting out substandard voltage.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigbadbonneville is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
I wouldn't be looking toward the alternator unless you know it'* putting out substandard voltage.
Okay - latest news: I went and forked out for a new gauge cluster - (dont ask how much- expensive) I put it on and behold worked for about 5 miles and wa lah - same thing gauges going haywire like the old one. - dont know what to do now - any suggestions.
bigbadbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Did you happen to check the voltage?
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigbadbonneville is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Did you happen to check the voltage?
Voltage is around 14.5 at idle and 12 without engine on. seems to be at normal operating condition
bigbadbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hay all from the UK daveyjay Introductions for new members 10 02-02-2010 08:43 AM
hay guys... i got no boost after the car reaches temp.... Triple X Forced Induction 27 10-16-2007 02:09 PM
Im new just saying hay droppedchargedz Introductions for new members 0 05-10-2007 10:03 PM
IAT wire gauge, is going bigger bad? 1001miles Everything Electrical & Electronic 1 05-24-2006 01:32 AM
hay guy's duffer26 Introductions for new members 4 01-29-2004 08:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.