car burning alot of oil - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

Chevrolet When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

car burning alot of oil

Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 107
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wes104 is on a distinguished road
Default car burning alot of oil

i have a 1996 chevy corsica with a 2.2l in it that burns alot of oil.i have to pull the head anyways to change a bent valve cause by a tentioner that broke and that caused the chain to beak and jump time.i was wondering what are the common things that cause a car to burn alot of oil so i can try to fix them while i have the head off
wes104 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:04 PM
  #2  
Senior Member


Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,475
Thanked 223 Times in 199 Posts
CathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally Posted by wes104 View Post
i have a 1996 chevy corsica with a 2.2l in it that burns alot of oil.i have to pull the head anyways to change a bent valve cause by a tentioner that broke and that caused the chain to beak and jump time.i was wondering what are the common things that cause a car to burn alot of oil so i can try to fix them while i have the head off
Usually it is valve guide seals.

Does it have any leaks?

How much oil is burning?

How many miles on it?
CathedralCub is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 107
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wes104 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
Usually it is valve guide seals.

Does it have any leaks?

How much oil is burning?

How many miles on it?
no leaks and probably about a quart a week.183000
wes104 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM
  #4  
Senior Member


Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,475
Thanked 223 Times in 199 Posts
CathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally Posted by wes104 View Post
no leaks and probably about a quart a week.183000
How many miles does it get driven in a week?
CathedralCub is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 107
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wes104 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
How many miles does it get driven in a week?
about 50 to 100.it just depends o how many days i work
wes104 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:09 PM
  #6  
Senior Member


Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,475
Thanked 223 Times in 199 Posts
CathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to behold
Default

Okay then yeah a quart in 100 miles is pretty profuse. You should be seeing oil smoke a lot of the time.

If it is valve guide seals then you'll see a lot of oil smoke at idle and when you start driving right after idling for a bit.

If it is rings, it might burn the most oil when it is revved up so you might not notice oil smoke.

Does it have an oily filmy dirty residue on the body work near the exhaust pipe?

Last edited by CathedralCub; 12-06-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Corrected typo by replacing a "u" with an "i"
CathedralCub is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 107
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wes104 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
Okay then yeah a quart in 100 miles is pretty profuse. You should be seeing oil smoke a lot of the time.

If it is valve guide seals then you'll see a lot of oil smoke at idle and when you start driving right after idling for a bit.

If it is rings, it might burn the most oil when it is revved up so you might not notice oil smoke.

Does it have an oily filmy dirty residue on the body work near the exhaust pipe?
it smokes the worst when accelerating.but does smoke a little while idling..whats you guess rings or valve seals
wes104 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:55 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 107
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wes104 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
Okay then yeah a quart in 100 miles is pretty profuse. You should be seeing oil smoke a lot of the time.

If it is valve guide seals then you'll see a lot of oil smoke at idle and when you start driving right after idling for a bit.

If it is rings, it might burn the most oil when it is revved up so you might not notice oil smoke.

Does it have an oily filmy dirty residue on the body work near the exhaust pipe?
does have sooty looking exchuast pipe and im probably going to need to change the cat pretty soon to won't i?wouldnt burning that much oil ruin the cat
wes104 is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:04 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carblogger is on a distinguished road
Default

Are you seeing leaks when you have the car parked?
carblogger is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 AM
  #10  
Senior Member


Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,475
Thanked 223 Times in 199 Posts
CathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to beholdCathedralCub is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally Posted by wes104 View Post
it smokes the worst when accelerating.but does smoke a little while idling..whats you guess rings or valve seals
My guess is valve seals.
CathedralCub is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car burning alot of oil


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.