99 park ave throttle sticks at 2200rpm randomly - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Buick When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
certified crazy person
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
eltatertoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hobart indiana (1 hr from chicago)
Posts: 1,871
Thanked 64 Times in 52 Posts
eltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rough
Default 99 park ave throttle sticks at 2200rpm randomly

hey guys, i have had this issue very randomly over the past year or so. usually it would happen on long road trips to memphis after i had cut off cruise control and was pulling off the highway. yesterday, it happened on the way to work. (no cruise control utilized). this causes me some concern, especially going light to light.

what happens is ill be driving along, not realize the throttle is even stuck till im "coasting" at 45mph, or go to slow down from over 45mph. the car will try to keep itself at whatever amount of throttle is at 2200rpm(pulling the pedal back or smashing it to the floor does not fix this or make it any worse), making it a royal pita to stop in any reasonable amount of time. a dead stop in drive the car is at 1500rpm.

its also worth noting that if you turn the car off, and turn it back on you have about a 75% chance of it idleing at 500 rpm like it should starting it up just 2 seconds after you shut it off. the other 25% it goes right back to 2200. i would try to take off the intake tube and look at the butterfly valve when this happens, but sitting in front of a car at 2200 rpm with a nut driver to defend myself with and noone in the drivers seat makes me uneasy.

can anyone shed some light as to what might be causing this other than the obvious stuck cable which ive already checked? thanks alot!
eltatertoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Senior Administrator


Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,641
Thanked 995 Times in 772 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Either a sticky throttle plate
Sticky TPS sensor
Bad TPS sensor
Or one heck of a vacuum leak.

Do you have a scanner capable of reading TPS %
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
jwfirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western,ny state
Posts: 9,616
Thanked 563 Times in 481 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute
Default

sounds more like a iac problem, the tps is like a fuel level sensor electrically so when it goes you loose positions where the wire is wound and the pcm will loose its signal. i dont think that would make the car goto 2200 rpm. sounds like the iac is bad or its got build up on it and the tb seat
jwfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Soft Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,586
Thanked 339 Times in 301 Posts
Soft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud of
Default

I would Jason Clean the IAC and inside the throttle body/plate (in and around butterfly)
real well using spray cans of throttle body cleaner ASAP. That is really not a safe condition. You could use Neutral in an emergency while braking to a stop.
You can also check outside where the cable attaches to the throttle and make sure no binding is going on after it is clean in there.
I am going to remove my entire throttle body have a new gasket ready, and really get in there and get all that nasty carbon out soon. I just did my IAC it needed it!
https://www.gmforum.com/park-avenue-...avenue-304014/
Soft Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
msmith1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bremen, GA
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
msmith1956 is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree, check/clean the IAC.
msmith1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 103
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Smoke is on a distinguished road
Default

Unplug the TPS and drive it. Is it still all over the place?
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
certified crazy person
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
eltatertoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hobart indiana (1 hr from chicago)
Posts: 1,871
Thanked 64 Times in 52 Posts
eltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rough
Default

sounds like a plan, guys. thanks alot for all that info. tps is new due to an issue i had where the car would run at about half power for the first minute or so of driving and then snap your head back when the tps decided it wanted to function correctly.
eltatertoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
certified crazy person
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
eltatertoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hobart indiana (1 hr from chicago)
Posts: 1,871
Thanked 64 Times in 52 Posts
eltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rough
Default

and mike, i do have a obd2 dongle and the torque app. but sadly the dongle is in my $200 leather jacket which has mysteriously vanished.
eltatertoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior Administrator


Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,641
Thanked 995 Times in 772 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltatertoto View Post
and mike, i do have a obd2 dongle and the torque app. but sadly the dongle is in my $200 leather jacket which has mysteriously vanished.

Ouch
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
certified crazy person
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
eltatertoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hobart indiana (1 hr from chicago)
Posts: 1,871
Thanked 64 Times in 52 Posts
eltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rougheltatertoto is a jewel in the rough
Default

well, i cleaned the iac valve (which was caked in carbon) but now ive got a new problem. when the car is warm it wont start without throttle. i took a vid. i think i got it in the butter zone here. (not hot not cold)

car stalls after iac cleaning - YouTube
eltatertoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1999 Park Avenue trunk opens randomly scottfs Buick 4 08-12-2015 02:16 PM
95 Park Ave throttle loss hwhound Buick 3 11-12-2013 01:13 PM
99 park ave wipers wont go into park position goldfinger22 Buick 15 05-08-2009 10:07 PM
Throttle sticks from idle Allmachtige 1992-1999 17 07-25-2008 09:04 PM
Accelerator Sticks markwb 1992-1999 7 01-02-2003 01:33 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.