Head unit upgrade questions on 1998 Park Avenue - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

Audio (and aftermarket electronics) This is your place for alarms, remote starters, to brag about your system, exaggerate your db levels, or simply ask questions for stock or aftermarket audio. No Flames! (except from roasted amps)

Head unit upgrade questions on 1998 Park Avenue

Reply

 
 
 
Old 10-25-2015, 06:15 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
PA2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: The United States
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PA2013 is on a distinguished road
Question Head unit upgrade questions on 1998 Park Avenue

After seeing some good deals spring up recently on 7" Android-based double DIN car radios, I'm considering a head unit upgrade in this car, but have never undertaken such a project before, so I have a few questions before starting.

1. First, what'* the story on actually getting the radio to fit? I've heard from some threads that the depth of the compartment in the Park Avenue is a concern and personally observed that the brown trim bezel that sits in front of the head unit has awfully rounded corners. Is there a lot of cutting and grinding that has to be done to get an aftermarket unit to fit or is it plug n play with the standard Scosche GM mounting kit?

2. How difficult is it to run the GPS antenna from the radio compartment to someplace in which it'll actually work?

3. Which pins on the harness are for the steering wheel controls? I looked at the wiring guide for this model and don't see any information on there for steering wheel controls; is it just missing from that diagram? If so, which wire(*) does it use?

4. I read in another thread (for the previous generation Park Avenue) that the automatic dimming of the climate control display was dependent on the radio and that using an aftermarket radio would render the module unable to change its brightness automatically; is that how it works on the 1997-2005 models as well?

5. While we're on the topic of dimming and such, I'm guessing the gray/black "illumination" wire on the harness gets attached to the "illumination" wire on the radio, but what do I do with the "dimmer" wire on the harness? Does it get left disconnected or does it connect somewhere else?

6. Lastly, from what I can see in the pictures in the listing for the radio I was looking at, the actual connections for the speakers themselves (see the attached picture) end in a female "ISO" port. How do I attach these wires to the wires on the factory harness adapter? Do I just cut this connector off and manually connect the wires or is there a
more civilized way to hook it up more civilized way to hook it up
?
Attached Thumbnails Head unit upgrade questions on 1998 Park Avenue-ebayradioexample2015.jpg  
PA2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:49 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pines of Carolina
Posts: 128
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Human is on a distinguished road
Default

I've never installed a radio like you describe but I have put several into 1990s GM cars. I would definitely not cut into the car'* wiring harness if you can help it. There are plug and play adapters available that you can solder up to the aftermarket radio'* harness for a plug-and-play solution. Chances are your steering wheel controls won't be supported by the aftermarket radio but if it has an infrared remote control, there are some aftermarket kits that will allow you to use the steering wheel buttons to control various functions on the radio through that interface but you may not be able to get the buttons to control all of the same functions they did with the OEM radio. I have one of these kits to enable the steering wheel buttons when I had a JVC head unit in my '95 Aurora but I never got it installed. The head unit crapped out and I ended up replacing it with a Delco radio out of a Buick. The steering wheel controls now function as they would in a Buick instead of how they normally do in an Oldsmobile, for instance the 'prog/seek' and temperature buttons now have their functions swapped and the fan button controls some other radio function.
Human is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
PA2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: The United States
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PA2013 is on a distinguished road
Post clarification

Originally Posted by Human View Post
I've never installed a radio like you describe but I have put several into 1990s GM cars. I would definitely not cut into the car'* wiring harness if you can help it.
I had no intention of doing so. I was just wondering which wires I'll need to use from the plug-n-play female wiring harness adapter for the steering wheel controls since this is not made clear by any of the diagrams I have found so far.

Originally Posted by Human View Post
Chances are your steering wheel controls won't be supported by the aftermarket radio but if it has an infrared remote control, there are some aftermarket kits that will allow you to use the steering wheel buttons to control various functions on the radio through that interface but you may not be able to get the buttons to control all of the same functions they did with the OEM radio.
I know. I had every intention of buying one since the radio is fully compatible with such adapters and even allows complete customization of what each button does.

Originally Posted by Human View Post
I have one of these kits to enable the steering wheel buttons when I had a JVC head unit in my '95 Aurora but I never got it installed. The head unit crapped out and I ended up replacing it with a Delco radio out of a Buick. The steering wheel controls now function as they would in a Buick instead of how they normally do in an Oldsmobile, for instance the 'prog/seek' and temperature buttons now have their functions swapped and the fan button controls some other radio function.
Using the aftermarket steering wheel control interface and radio doesn't prevent the climate control steering wheel buttons from working, does it?
PA2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pines of Carolina
Posts: 128
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Human is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by PA2013 View Post
Using the aftermarket steering wheel control interface and radio doesn't prevent the climate control steering wheel buttons from working, does it?
You should be able to program those buttons to do something but whether they will actually work the climate controls is debatable. That function is actually built into the OEM radio. Don't worry, though. your dashboard climate controls will not be affected by the radio swap.
Human is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Blane
Buick
8
02-14-2012 03:08 PM
dlorimer
Buick
6
12-22-2010 03:34 PM
Hippie
1992-1999
4
07-19-2006 12:29 PM
OLDsman105
Buick
10
11-07-2005 06:42 PM
Lime
Buick
1
10-04-2004 08:34 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head unit upgrade questions on 1998 Park Avenue


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.