Steering only Clunks to the Right - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


2000-2005 Discuss your 2000-2005 Bonneville SE, SLE, and SSEi Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Columbia, MO "CoMo"
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
harrydunn is on a distinguished road
Default Steering only Clunks to the Right

Guys/Gals--

Finally picked up my 2000 Bonneville yesterday and have driven it 50 miles or so. Gave me a chance to get a better feel for the steering clunk which up to this point I have assumed to be the notorious intermediate shaft problem. However, the clunk is only present when turning the steering wheel to the right. It used to make the noise when turning left but has since disappeared within the 50 miles. No noise whatsoever when turning left now.

The car has been sitting for about 1-1/2 years and only driven periodically (<14,000 miles on odometer). I'm wondering if it just needs to have the kinks worked out of it (so to speak) to loosen things up.

I've read a few posts about a possible u-joint/steering knuckle problem instead of the intermediate shaft and could use come opinions before I start my own diagnosis this weekend.

--Thanks

Mark
harrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steering only Clunks to the Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydunn
Guys/Gals--

Finally picked up my 2000 Bonneville yesterday and have driven it 50 miles or so. Gave me a chance to get a better feel for the steering clunk which up to this point I have assumed to be the notorious intermediate shaft problem. However, the clunk is only present when turning the steering wheel to the right. It used to make the noise when turning left but has since disappeared within the 50 miles. No noise whatsoever when turning left now.

The car has been sitting for about 1-1/2 years and only driven periodically (<14,000 miles on odometer). I'm wondering if it just needs to have the kinks worked out of it (so to speak) to loosen things up.

I've read a few posts about a possible u-joint/steering knuckle problem instead of the intermediate shaft and could use come opinions before I start my own diagnosis this weekend.

--Thanks

Mark
is the sound when the car is moving, or when the steering wheel is being turned?
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Columbia, MO "CoMo"
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
harrydunn is on a distinguished road
Default

It'* just at low speed or when not moving which sounds exactly like it would be the intermediate shaft. However, the fact that it is doing it only to the right is puzzling me.
harrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Quincy, Ma
Posts: 15,341
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gumball is on a distinguished road
Default

at first when i noticed it. It was turning left, But now its both ways
Gumball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydunn
It'* just at low speed or when not moving which sounds exactly like it would be the intermediate shaft. However, the fact that it is doing it only to the right is puzzling me.
sounds like the intermediate shaft and its just a fluke thing that its only to the right
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 2,099
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SSEBONNE4EVA is on a distinguished road
Default clunk

sounds like one of your upper strut bearings is dry and needs lube or changing.
Thats what happened to me and my clunk is all gone.
SSEBONNE4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default Re: clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEBONNE4EVA
sounds like one of your upper strut bearings is dry and needs lube or changing.
Thats what happened to me and my clunk is all gone.
thats a good thought... to get a good idea of this would be to spray some white lithium grease down inside your strut mounts and see if it helps the problem
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 2,099
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SSEBONNE4EVA is on a distinguished road
Default clunk

yeah you have to take the underhood dust boots off first.
I turn my wheels all the way to the right then apply lithium and 90w gear oil mixture.
totally solved the problem. glad I didn't pull the struts.
SSEBONNE4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default Re: clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEBONNE4EVA
yeah you have to take the underhood dust boots off first.
I turn my wheels all the way to the right then apply lithium and 90w gear oil mixture.
totally solved the problem. glad I didn't pull the struts.
i could be wrong, but i dont believe the 00+ have caps on the strut towers
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Columbia, MO "CoMo"
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
harrydunn is on a distinguished road
Default

I have a feeling it probably is something with the steering mechanism. I can definitely feel it in the wheel. I will check out the strut too however.

Assuming it is an intermediate shaft, is this a safety issue if left alone or just annoying?
harrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1999 4.3 only runs only with maf disconnected 200VEGAS Chevrolet 8 02-14-2013 05:02 PM
if only, if only... ga93sle Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 13 01-09-2007 08:10 PM
engine clunks when accelerating in reverse vital49 1992-1999 3 10-24-2003 02:16 PM
tranny clunks jeffreyeffrey 1992-1999 6 04-19-2003 07:16 PM
Air only blows out top & bottom ducts only. Not the VENT vols1992 1992-1999 3 11-10-2002 11:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.