stallng while braking? - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jcrazyjj is on a distinguished road
Default stallng while braking?

ok. here is the run down. i recently bought a 1997 Bonneville SSE with 137,000ish miles.

on the ride home if i had to break quickly to a stop the engine would stall. it would beep 3 times, display a check gauges prompt, then id lose all power. no power steering, power brakes, engine just dies.

i can turn it off and start it right back up without any problems.

ideas?

i dont know much history about the car sadly so i cant be too much of help.
jcrazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
SignOfZeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 2,284
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
SignOfZeta has a spectacular aura aboutSignOfZeta has a spectacular aura about
Default

Check the crankshaft position sensor, and the electrical system. I used to have that problem on occasion, and that was the cure.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Retired Senior Admin

Expert Gearhead
 
Danthurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sheboygan Wisconsin
Posts: 29,661
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Danthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to allDanthurs is a name known to all
Default

Easiest thing to check is your battery cables, make sure they are clean on both ends. Make sure the battery is secure.
Danthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trixster68 is on a distinguished road
Default

I had the same problem and it was my crank sensor, I got it replaced and all has been good. I hope that helps you out. Let us know what you find?
trixster68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jcrazyjj is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
Check the crankshaft position sensor, and the electrical system. I used to have that problem on occasion, and that was the cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster68 View Post
I had the same problem and it was my crank sensor, I got it replaced and all has been good. I hope that helps you out. Let us know what you find?
ill let you guys know what i find out. thanks a bunch.


it sucks having to throw in in neutral and restart it in the middle of rush hour traffic.
jcrazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
SignOfZeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 2,284
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
SignOfZeta has a spectacular aura aboutSignOfZeta has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrazyjj View Post
it sucks having to throw in in neutral and restart it in the middle of rush hour traffic.
It also sucks having to throw it in neutral and restart it in the middle of the highway. In the rain.

Most shops will do it for around $200. The part itself costs $25 and is a few layers underneath your right front tire.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jcrazyjj is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
It also sucks having to throw it in neutral and restart it in the middle of the highway. In the rain.

Most shops will do it for around $200. The part itself costs $25 and is a few layers underneath your right front tire.
something i could do myself? i really cant go a day without a car unless i waited till a sunday.

would this crank sensor effect my gas mileage any?
jcrazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Honestly..let'* diagnose this a little further.

Check those battery connection. Pull the cables off and literally look at them. B'ville love to corrode.

Next up, how low was your fuel when slamming on the brakes would make it stall? If the baffles in the gas tank have broken free.. sloshing occurs and stalling follows closely after the pump has no fuel to pump. I'm not only a member, I'm the president

I've had nearly every problem or issue possible with a 97.

Currently I don't suspect a crank sensor. And I'll drive over and beat Colin if he doesn't tell you how easy it is to swap that crank sensor yourself. it'* a 15 min job with air tools and three M6 x 1.00 x 75mm (or longer) bolts. Don't assume the bolts are in a harmonic balancer puller kit you rent, because I've never seen them as part of any kit, unless it cost $500 and was from Snap On.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jcrazyjj is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37 View Post
Honestly..let'* diagnose this a little further.

Check those battery connection. Pull the cables off and literally look at them. B'ville love to corrode.

Next up, how low was your fuel when slamming on the brakes would make it stall? If the baffles in the gas tank have broken free.. sloshing occurs and stalling follows closely after the pump has no fuel to pump. I'm not only a member, I'm the president

I've had nearly every problem or issue possible with a 97.

Currently I don't suspect a crank sensor. And I'll drive over and beat Colin if he doesn't tell you how easy it is to swap that crank sensor yourself. it'* a 15 min job with air tools and three M6 x 1.00 x 75mm (or longer) bolts. Don't assume the bolts are in a harmonic balancer puller kit you rent, because I've never seen them as part of any kit, unless it cost $500 and was from Snap On.
its been over a half tank everytime.

the cables are slightly corroded. nothing like WOW!!.
jcrazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
SignOfZeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 2,284
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
SignOfZeta has a spectacular aura aboutSignOfZeta has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Currently I don't suspect a crank sensor. And I'll drive over and beat Colin if he doesn't tell you how easy it is to swap that crank sensor yourself. it'* a 15 min job with air tools
It'* true. He'* got enough tools to beat and dispose of me without dirtying his good tools. Of course, it'* doable with common hand tools, and a harmonic balancer puller.

As far as your cables go, there'* a great how-to on this very site: https://www.gmforum.com/t278927/

You can prevent some corrosion by using felt washers and/or Vaseline or dielectric grease.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thumping noise from right rear while braking. unclemic 1992-1999 4 01-24-2008 10:24 AM
Hard to steer while turning left while braking erin0525 2000-2005 9 12-11-2007 09:31 PM
Car pulls to the left while braking Andrew97Cobra 1987-1991 10 09-21-2006 02:29 PM
94 SSEi : Clunking while braking Jim W 1992-1999 4 09-06-2005 10:53 PM
Hi-speed wobble while braking - Bearings????? rnbraud 1992-1999 4 07-19-2004 12:06 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.