Front Struts Creaking Noiise. - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 3,014
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maymybonnieliveforevr is on a distinguished road
Default Front Struts Creaking Noiise.

When ever I turn the steering wheel whether the car is in motion or at idle the front struts make a rubber type creaking noise which I've determined are comming from the upper part of the strut. The top of the spring is rotating and making a rubbing sound against the rubber top part it rests against. In other words they don't rotate together. The front struts were replaced by the previous owner 3 years ago, (I have the bill), but there is no detail of the parts replaced. Should the upper rubber part of the strut rotate with the spring? Is so is there a bearing at the top of the strut? Can this part be replaced seperately and withing my scope of work?
Maymybonnieliveforevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maymybonnieliveforevr View Post
When ever I turn the steering wheel whether the car is in motion or at idle the front struts make a rubber type creaking noise which I've determined are comming from the upper part of the strut. The top of the spring is rotating and making a rubbing sound against the rubber top part it rests against. In other words they don't rotate together. The front struts were replaced by the previous owner 3 years ago, (I have the bill), but there is no detail of the parts replaced. Should the upper rubber part of the strut rotate with the spring? Is so is there a bearing at the top of the strut? Can this part be replaced seperately and withing my scope of work?
There should be a bearing, and it would appear that yours is seized up. I believe the bearing should be on the bottom of the spring.

Soak it with a 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone.
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Nighthwk12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nighthwk12 is on a distinguished road
Default

If the strut was only changed the strut mounts are probably original and should be changed. You can get an upper mount kit. You will need spring compressors to remove the top mount.
Nighthwk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 3,014
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maymybonnieliveforevr is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerevolution View Post
There should be a bearing, and it would appear that yours is seized up. I believe the bearing should be on the bottom of the spring.
At the bottom, I would have thought it was at the top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthwk12 View Post
If the strut was only changed the strut mounts are probably original and should be changed. You can get an upper mount kit. You will need spring compressors to remove the top mount.
I'll have to look into the spring compressor tool since I only have the coild spring tool that goes throught the center of the spring and will price out the bearing.

Thanks
Maymybonnieliveforevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maymybonnieliveforevr View Post
At the bottom, I would have thought it was at the top?
I'll have to look into the spring compressor tool since I only have the coild spring tool that goes throught the center of the spring and will price out the bearing.

Thanks
I don't recall if it was at the top or bottom for the Bonnevilles.

Make sure to check out rockauto.com for pricing. There'* a constantly available 5% discount code online as well that you can search google for, so factor that into your pricing.
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
creaking, moaning front end gmanuel Buick 2 11-05-2012 09:02 AM
Front struts, rear shocks, front wheel bearing, and others slick94prix 2000-2005 4 04-11-2008 05:58 PM
Creaking noise from my steering 95seand78z28 1992-1999 5 06-03-2005 10:12 AM
Interior - doors and other panels creaking pakenney38 1992-1999 2 04-10-2005 10:55 PM
Creaking Trunk Lid 2000SilverBullet 2000-2005 2 05-28-2003 11:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.