180 degree stat Change - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
umrdyldo is on a distinguished road
Default 180 degree stat Change

This is an old post but I needed to get more input and it has new updated info
I haven't driven the car in awhile so I hadn't updated my posts.
I am still losing coolant. I checked the dipstick and the oil is over full so it must be leaking
into it. If all I did was put a new thermostat in, did I mess up a seal or is this a bigger problem. I don't see any smoke coming out of the car and it runs fine.
umrdyldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SLO92SE is on a distinguished road
Default

if coolant was going into the oil, the oil would look really milky and nasty. you sure its not just leaking around the gasket or a hose somewhere? is your pass side carpet wet? heater core maybe
SLO92SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Changing a thermostat can not do anything that will cause the coolant to go into the oil.

If you have coolant in the oil, most likely your upper intake manifold failed.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
toastedoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fitchburg Ma _ToastedRice_
Posts: 6,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toastedoats is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Changing a thermostat can not do anything that will cause the coolant to go into the oil.

If you have coolant in the oil, most likely your upper intake manifold failed.
97% chances of an upper intake manifold failure, 3% chance of headgasket failure
toastedoats is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
180 degree t-stat b18jason 1992-1999 5 07-09-2007 11:34 AM
180 t-stat/180 Fan Turn On - Running 195-205*? TommyGloves 2000-2005 9 05-08-2006 06:37 PM
Problem after 180 degree stat change umrdyldo 1992-1999 24 09-24-2005 01:52 PM
180 degree t-stat, 92-98. Solves intake problem? ComfyCar General GM Chat 12 06-24-2005 01:08 PM
180 degree stat did nothing paragoat 2000-2005 22 06-11-2003 03:20 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.