*HELP PLEASE* Sporadic Stalling & Engine Quits- 93 Bonne - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ambro98 is on a distinguished road
Default *HELP PLEASE* Sporadic Stalling & Engine Quits- 93 Bonne

Hey Everyone. So, I've been browsing this site for helpful answers and solutions my automotive issues W/ 93 Bonne SE & this is my actual first post. I need help of course. Ok, so here is my problem(*). My Bonne dies sporadically & randomly. I never have a symptom or advance warning (IE sputtering/jerking) I live in a rural area so there are lots of curves and mountains. It has died/lost power going down hill drifting (not pressing gas), going around curves, pulling up to a stop sign, etc. I do not lose power to lights or radio...guages all go to zip. I am able to shift into neutral and most of the time it will start back. Now, with that being said I am also having the same issue if I run the car 15 minutes to an hour and then have to stop, park, and run an errand. When I go to crank the car in PARK, it won't turn over, 80% of the time if I pull it on down in neutral and try again it starts right up. The other 20% of the time when it wouldn't start just SITTING in neutral, if I could get it rolling it would start up like a stick shift. Just as an FYI- I replaced the plugs & plug wires (Used AC Delco), new alternator, new battery, & crank shaft sensor. My next step is looking at the fuel system...I really need some ideas for resolution to this problem! HELP...this is my daily driver!!!
ambro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

The first and easiest thing to check is disconnect the MAF sensor when it won't start, and try again. Or if the stalling is predictable, drive with the MAF sensor disconnected (you'll get a warning light, just ignore it).

Before you do that, use the procedure in Techinfo to pull your codes. We'd like to know what they are.

Secondly, you need to check your fuel pressure. You either need to buy or borrow a gauge for about 30 bucks. The numbers we need:

1. Key on, no start, key off. Repeat this three times, with about 5 seconds of 'on' time before each 'off'. You're priming the system 3 times. What is the gauge reading? How quickly does it bleed down 50% of that reading?

2. Key on and start. What is the pressure at idle?

3. While idling, pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator on the back side of the fuel rail. What is your pressure?

If it SPUTTERS out, it'* typically a fuel related problem. If it just CUTS out and dies, it'* electrical. Can you describe your symptoms better with regards to these descriptions?
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ambro98 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks you for your reply, I will try to get all this squared away over the weekend with a bit of help from my dad & fiance. We have been trying to root out this problem for awhile. I will let you know my findings (in detail).


**Thanks so much for your help**
ambro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sporadic loss of power Booomer1265 2000-2005 0 07-04-2008 03:48 AM
Engine randomly quits & will not start jgrove4005 2000-2005 8 11-12-2007 04:30 PM
$&)$&*)#&+()#%& )#@(%&#)%*(&+_ Maymybonnieliveforevr Lounge 6 05-02-2007 07:07 PM
Very sporadic O2 voltage readings 1994se 2000-2005 3 11-22-2006 11:02 AM
Engine Quits BikerBob 1992-1999 9 05-23-2005 04:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.