My recipe for for alfredo sauce:
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp sifted flour
2 cups whole milk OR half and half (low fat if preferred)
2 cups grated cheese (I like it cheesy - I use a combination of cheddar, fresh paremsan, and anything else I have in the house)
other spices you like (I use Dinosaur BBQ cajun blend)
- Melt butter slowly, medium heat (large saucepan)
- Add flour, mix very well with butter
- Add salt and pepper
- Once flour and butter mixture is well-combined, add milk/half and half slowly WHILE stirring, about 1/2 cup at a time
- Once all milk is in the pot, stir constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens (it will take about 10 minutes or so, just keep stirring so it doesn't burn. It will thicken faster if you are using half and half or whole milk)
- Once it gets thick add cheese and stir in until it melts completely
- Add more spices as desired. I'm pretty generous with the cajun blend but the sauce isn't spicy hot. It has the BEST flavor!
Use the sauce on whatever. I use fettucine and cut up some chicken, broccoli, carrots, black olives, mushrooms, etc...cook pasta per directions, cook meat/veggies. Cook the veggies/meat first and keep hot. Start the pasta so it is done when the sauce is done. When everything is done combine!