It started with the headliner sagging - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Your Other Rides: Pics & Videos Post your pictures of your non-GM vehicles. Also discuss mechanical problems regarding your non-GM (Car vids not yours should be in the lounge)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
radomirthegreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 4,606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
radomirthegreat is on a distinguished road
Default It started with the headliner sagging

The headliner was sagging, so I took a razor blade to cut it and expose the filthy, nasty material above it. That would have worked while I prepared to redo the headliner - you know, later - but somehow more of it kept sagging. I figured I should then do what is shown in these pictures:











Almost all the wiring from the ceiling is missing. Door panels are coming off soon. However, I have a plan: Three people who are upset with missing interior pieces are going on a trip with me to Chicago on Sunday, so either I will finish this project or I will be criticized. Wish me luck. Now, I'm off to comment on other threads.
Attached Thumbnails
It started with the headliner sagging-imag0001.jpg   It started with the headliner sagging-imag0002.jpg   It started with the headliner sagging-imag0003.jpg   It started with the headliner sagging-imag0004.jpg   It started with the headliner sagging-imag0005.jpg  

radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reid is on a distinguished road
Default

A much bigger project than I'd ever want to take on, trust me.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

How were you able to get the headliner out without folding it? Out the front door? Was it difficult? Getting it down is not a big job, but I've wondered about getting it out of the car.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
MouSe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,988
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MouSe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
How were you able to get the headliner out without folding it? Out the front door? Was it difficult? Getting it down is not a big job, but I've wondered about getting it out of the car.
It comes right out through the front door.

I watched the fella do mine when put in my new sunroof and fixed the sag. People who know what they're doing make stuff look really easy.
MouSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

The cloth on mine is sagging in spots. Basically, the foam layer between the cloth and the substrate is starting to deteriorate. To fix it, I would have to pull the headliner, remove the cloth, clean off all the foam (wire wheel on a hand drill) and glue a new piece of foam backed cloth to the substrate. Getting new cloth is not an issue since the company I work for makes a lot of headliners, and I deal with two companies in the Detroit area who stock and sell past model automotive cloth. Getting the headliner down is a simple matter of pulling the pillars, weatherstripping, sun visors and grab handles. I just wasn't sure if the headliner will come out the front door. In the assembly plants they install through the front window area before the windshield is installed.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
MouSe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,988
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MouSe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
The cloth on mine is sagging in spots. Basically, the foam layer between the cloth and the substrate is starting to deteriorate. To fix it, I would have to pull the headliner, remove the cloth, clean off all the foam (wire wheel on a hand drill) and glue a new piece of foam backed cloth to the substrate. Getting new cloth is not an issue since the company I work for makes a lot of headliners, and I deal with two companies in the Detroit area who stock and sell past model automotive cloth. Getting the headliner down is a simple matter of pulling the pillars, weatherstripping, sun visors and grab handles. I just wasn't sure if the headliner will come out the front door. In the assembly plants they install through the front window area before the windshield is installed.
Yes, it'll come out through the front door.
MouSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
MouSe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,988
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MouSe is on a distinguished road
Default

Now that I think about it, a slight fold might be needed to get it out. Not much though, nothing enough to put a crease in it.
MouSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Soft Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,586
Thanked 339 Times in 301 Posts
Soft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud of
Default

Well Radomir I give ya credit for wanting to tackle the headliner.
It really is a messy no fun job. If I was able to recover the headliner board, I would be tempted just to take it into a trim shop and let them apply the new liner /foam to existing or new board. Glue type/ application is really important that it is evenly and allowed to dry well before installation..etc.
I would definitely want a shaded cool area to do this work! Can not imagine doing it inside a warm or hot car..!
Soft Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
MouSe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,988
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MouSe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Ride View Post
Well Radomir I give ya credit for wanting to tackle the headliner.
It really is a messy no fun job. If I was able to recover the headliner board, I would be tempted just to take it into a trim shop and let them apply the new liner /foam to existing or new board. Glue type/ application is really important that it is evenly and allowed to dry well before installation..etc.
I would definitely want a shaded cool area to do this work! Can not imagine doing it inside a warm or hot car..!
Dude did all the work on mine in my driveway. Used a paint gun to apply the glue though, that was pretty cool.
MouSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
radomirthegreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 4,606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
radomirthegreat is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks, Soft Ride! My headliner fell apart, though, while I was trying to lay it out to sand it down and get a new layer of cloth over it. I"ve heard you need to take out the front seats to get out the headliner without bending it. I bent mine, and the crease went right through. Age does that. Fiberglass can fix it, but you have to be sure to do it just right so that you don't with fiberglass put in a permanent bend.
radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sagging rear end wakefieldl General GM Chat 4 01-26-2006 01:37 PM
Moon roof head liner sagging speedexracer Detailing & Appearance 6 12-20-2005 01:32 PM
Rear End Sagging..... again..... Merlin 91/97 1992-1999 17 05-18-2005 12:31 AM
Rear end sagging and wheels tilted Rockford 1992-1999 17 04-13-2005 04:56 PM
anyone ever have problems with rear c. springs sagging? bonnieboy23 1987-1991 17 06-11-2003 03:26 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.