4t65E Transmission issue Pump or Torque Converter?? - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Pontiac When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoePro424 is on a distinguished road
Default 4t65E Transmission issue Pump or Torque Converter??

Hi,

I recently had issues with my car being stuck in limp mode due to the harness being broken. I fixed that issue (I'm skipping a lot to make a long story short) however I had to reopen the side cover to fix the TCC because I didn't clip it in correctly. I wasn't aware you were suppose to take the cover off to clip it in. I went ahead and did that, put the pump back on, and everything back together. When I started the car it would not move at all. No gears, not engaging. I checked the dip stick, tranny fluid is really high on the stick which would mean it'* not pumping through the transmisssion. So I guessed that I put the pump back on incorrectly. I reopened the side cover and found that the ring that'* inside the cover was all chipped up which wasn't allowing the pump to move. The shaft looked fine, however I was able to easily rotate it to the right like it wasn't catching on the torque converter. Now if I rotate it to the left while applying pressure toward the transmission I'm unable to rotate it, like it'* catching on the torque converter. My question is, is that normal? Do you think I stripped the torque converter? Do you think I simply need a new ring for the pump body?I attached some pictures of the pump shaft and beat up ring.

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
4t65E Transmission issue Pump or Torque Converter??-cam00638.jpg   4t65E Transmission issue Pump or Torque Converter??-cam00640.jpg   4t65E Transmission issue Pump or Torque Converter??-cam00646.jpg  
JoePro424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Administrator








Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,649
Thanked 1,001 Times in 777 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Did you disconnect the TC from the flexplate?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoePro424 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
Did you disconnect the TC from the flexplate?
No. Tranny is still connected to engine, all I did was drop the subframe and remove the side cover and valve body.
JoePro424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Administrator








Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,649
Thanked 1,001 Times in 777 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

You should be able to push the pump shaft back into the TC. You should feel tension in either direction once it is engaged inside of it.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoePro424 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
You should be able to push the pump shaft back into the TC. You should feel tension in either direction once it is engaged inside of it.
ok. It rotates in one direction though as if it isn't catching. Also, the photo of the shaft is the side that goes into the TC. Is it suppose to be shaped that way? Aren't the grooves suppose to be straight? and longer? I think I messed up the shaft and broke a piece inside the TC
JoePro424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Senior Administrator








Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,649
Thanked 1,001 Times in 777 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Your right, its not suppose to be "helical". I just Googled image the pump shaft and it is suppose to be longer.

Right now, you need to pull the trans from the engine so you can remove the TC and hopefully remove the other piece.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoePro424 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
Your right, its not suppose to be "helical". I just Googled image the pump shaft and it is suppose to be longer.

Right now, you need to pull the trans from the engine so you can remove the TC and hopefully remove the other piece.
I didn't want it to come down to that, but it looks like it has. I will try one thing before I do and cross my fingers that it will work. I have a long thin magnet that'll hopefully catch the broken piece and pull it out. I'll post back tomorrow with an update. Thanks for looking.
JoePro424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoePro424 is on a distinguished road
Default

question about the pump cover and the ring:
the ring is in bad shape and cannot be used, but the pump is fine. Would it be find with ring removed?
If not, do you know where I can buy a ring? I can't seem to find it without buying the whole assembly. Do you know the exact size, so I can just order that?

Thanks
JoePro424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
Senior Administrator








Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,649
Thanked 1,001 Times in 777 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I believe they are sold as a set because they are all machined together...meaning, matched set.

With the condition of that ring, it may have something to do with the pump shaft snapping.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Dads Toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South, I-40
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dads Toy is on a distinguished road
Default What did you find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePro424 View Post
Hi,

I recently had issues with my car being stuck in limp mode due to the harness being broken. I fixed that issue (I'm skipping a lot to make a long story short) however I had to reopen the side cover to fix the TCC because I didn't clip it in correctly. I wasn't aware you were suppose to take the cover off to clip it in. I went ahead and did that, put the pump back on, and everything back together. When I started the car it would not move at all. No gears, not engaging. I checked the dip stick, tranny fluid is really high on the stick which would mean it'* not pumping through the transmisssion. So I guessed that I put the pump back on incorrectly. I reopened the side cover and found that the ring that'* inside the cover was all chipped up which wasn't allowing the pump to move. The shaft looked fine, however I was able to easily rotate it to the right like it wasn't catching on the torque converter. Now if I rotate it to the left while applying pressure toward the transmission I'm unable to rotate it, like it'* catching on the torque converter. My question is, is that normal? Do you think I stripped the torque converter? Do you think I simply need a new ring for the pump body?I attached some pictures of the pump shaft and beat up ring.

Thanks for looking
Let us know if you had fix it. I have a similar issue and wanted to know if you had fix it and how.
Dads Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 4t65e-HD into 1999 4t65e? buckykattnj Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 6 02-15-2011 07:36 AM
4T65E-HD to 4T65E swap? woodturner2 General GM Chat 2 11-15-2010 08:53 AM
4T65E-HD transmission pan bolt torque values vital49 2000-2005 11 02-09-2008 03:19 PM
Transmission problems? Torque converter?- Cause found! redssei01 2000-2005 6 11-14-2004 09:50 PM
Replacing Transmission. Need to replace torque converter? parallelcircuits Lounge 0 08-14-2003 10:59 PM


Tags
4t65e, oil pump, pump ring, pump shaft, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.