Ram air duct for intake - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default Ram air duct for intake

After chatting with Matt a few days ago, my brain has been churning over a plan for an air duct to feed ambient temperature air into the shielded area of my intake.

My basic plan right now is to use heating duct material to feed air from the fog light area up to the bottom of my box without actually totally sealing off the heat shield from other air sources. My thoughts are to allow the car to get as much air as it needs without causing other heat issues by cutting off air flow to the radiator.

Will this make a difference? Any suggestions before I start measuring and pricing?
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

A few thoughts I've had before that I would like to toss out for discussion.

If you are moving then this ducting will supply cooler air....but only if you are moving.

If you moving, isn't the cold air supply pretty good to the insulated box as it sits behind the headlight already?

If you are not moving, you will receive the temp of the air from the general area of the headlight/side of radiator. How quickly does this air heat up when not moving?

Maybe a Turbonator in the ductwork would be a nice thing to have and turn on when sitting still and receiving warm air instead of ducting when you already have a semi good supply of cool air during moving conditions.

I've only thought about this in theory and never done any temp checking to see if there is a true need for ducting when moving. I would rely on the information of those with scanners etc that can see the difference in IAT temps that have checked before and after adding ductwork.

And if you are looking for decent black ducting check full sized vans...frequently they have ductwork to supply air from the front of the vehicle to the intake under the dog house.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37
A few thoughts I've had before that I would like to toss out for discussion.

If you are moving then this ducting will supply cooler air....but only if you are moving.

If you moving, isn't the cold air supply pretty good to the insulated box as it sits behind the headlight already?

If you are not moving, you will receive the temp of the air from the general area of the headlight/side of radiator. How quickly does this air heat up when not moving?

Maybe a Turbonator in the ductwork would be a nice thing to have and turn on when sitting still and receiving warm air instead of ducting when you already have a semi good supply of cool air during moving conditions.

I've only thought about this in theory and never done any temp checking to see if there is a true need for ducting when moving. I would rely on the information of those with scanners etc that can see the difference in IAT temps that have checked before and after adding ductwork.

And if you are looking for decent black ducting check full sized vans...frequently they have ductwork to supply air from the front of the vehicle to the intake under the dog house.

On the materials side, I've been looking at some cool materials from Home Depot. I'd be painting and adding more reflectix on the inside facing of the ducts to keep engine heat out.

On the usefulness side, I'm really thinking on the moving angle here. I've read multiple times that cooler air going into the supercharger reduces the chances of KR at WOT. Considering I'm planning on using a smaller pulley and opening the exhaust up, I'm expecting more heat.
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Yes on the KR...overall engine temps are a factor as well. Bill W has a duct that aims cool air at his SC from the outside to reduce temps. And now the added hood vents.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

I did it. Makes a big difference in IAT temps.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
I did it. Makes a big difference in IAT temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billboost37
Yes on the KR...overall engine temps are a factor as well. Bill W has a duct that aims cool air at his SC from the outside to reduce temps. And now the added hood vents.
Alright. I'm going to sketch out what I had in mind tonight and post it for opinions before I hit Home Depot.

Bill, while I love what you did with the hood vents, I'm not going that route because I don't want it to be so obvious that my car is going to be a beast under the hood.
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

Mortehl, I'm not talking about my hood vents. Those just vent the heat above the rear manifold.

I have two ram air ducts UNDER the car to forcefeed the CAI and cool the SC/TB. Both run off custom scoops. Mine is perhaps the best-developed and most extensive cooling effort in this regard.

The entire thing is posted. About a year back. Including all my before and after temp data which includes ambient temps, SC temps, and IAT temps at different speeds.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home in New York
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mortehl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Mortehl, I'm not talking about my hood vents. Those just vent the heat above the rear manifold.

I have two ram air ducts UNDER the car to forcefeed the CAI and cool the SC/TB. Both run off custom scoops. Mine is perhaps the best-developed and most extensive cooling effort in this regard.

The entire thing is posted. About a year back. Including all my before and after temp data which includes ambient temps, SC temps, and IAT temps at different speeds.
I'll search out your posts then Bill. You included some diagrams on your design?

Just to clarify, I know the hood vents and the air ducts are seperate systems with different purposes. I quoted both you and Boosty so I didn't have to double post. I like the idea of the ram ducts, but I'm not hot on the hood vent idea.
Mortehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

Everything is posted. Two major topics. One during the design/build, the other topic completed and tested.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Morty...please post the links in this thread when you find them.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking to trade a samsung 512 ddr2 ram 4 a 512 ddr ram 88bonnsse Lounge 1 09-04-2007 04:53 PM
damaged hoodliner, duct tape? NERV 1992-1999 8 04-28-2005 02:06 PM
Sub Zero start HVAC POW in Duct? SSEBONNE4EVA 1987-1991 5 01-31-2005 12:37 PM
The REAL reason man invented duct tape... SSE14U24ME Lounge 4 10-09-2004 01:51 PM
Building Custom Ram Air. Air Box Modified. Pics. parallelcircuits General GM Chat 13 08-07-2003 01:10 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.