MAF screen indeed - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
mike1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: republic, mo
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mike1053 is on a distinguished road
Default MAF screen indeed

I removed that screen from the MAF, that thing is thick like 1/2 inch, I was like holy ****, no wonder you gain something, I do notice it when taking off and sounds nice to me also.
I got some of the tubler style exhaust manifolds I am a going to port, I have done this to some other parts on cars. I am going with the idea you match the gasket to the port area. So I am excited to do this, main goal in 6-8 months be pushing so turbo psi in the puppy. MIke
mike1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

Your throttle body needs the MAF screen to get an accurate reading of the incoming air. If it can't read it all because of turbulence, you'll run lean. Only those with perfectly smooth custom intakes should even consider removing it.

Keep in mind the quickest daily-driven S1 L67'* and S2 L67'* run WITH screens.

Make sure your manifolds are correct for your car. Do you have an EGR? Probably not. Most 91-95 Series 1 manifolds have an EGR port.

And keep in mind, the exhaust ports in the heads are significantly smaller than the runner size in the stock manifolds. A very SLIGHT gain may be possible with stock heads, but I doubt you'd feel it on an L27. The only improvement would be in removal of a little bit of turbulence from the factory inner weld (assuming you re-weld the outside first and do it without warping the flange).
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
mike1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: republic, mo
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mike1053 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Your throttle body needs the MAF screen to get an accurate reading of the incoming air. If it can't read it all because of turbulence, you'll run lean. Only those with perfectly smooth custom intakes should even consider removing it.

Keep in mind the quickest daily-driven S1 L67'* and S2 L67'* run WITH screens.

Make sure your manifolds are correct for your car. Do you have an EGR? Probably not. Most 91-95 Series 1 manifolds have an EGR port.

And keep in mind, the exhaust ports in the heads are significantly smaller than the runner size in the stock manifolds. A very SLIGHT gain may be possible with stock heads, but I doubt you'd feel it on an L27. The only improvement would be in removal of a little bit of turbulence from the factory inner weld (assuming you re-weld the outside first and do it without warping the flange).
I have a smoth intake on it, a make up of the pipe of a honda and filter, the manifolds are off a 93' they look like mine and seem to be same style. I was condsidering the mod mainly to help with flow when turbo install. Well would it be beter to do a LIM rather then PEM, I also have the head of off 93, for springs and mill the heads, I am going right way here? Mike
mike1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio 2000 Black SSEi
Posts: 6,127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default

I recommend putting the screen back in
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
mike1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: republic, mo
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mike1053 is on a distinguished road
Default

What about the 93' head I had talked about springs on my L26 head, the responce was not parts but 93" head can fit and add springs to. Am I on the right track here?
mike1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

What'* this L26 you're talking about? Are you swapping in a Series 3? What exactly are you asking?
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
mike1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: republic, mo
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mike1053 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
What'* this L26 you're talking about? Are you swapping in a Series 3? What exactly are you asking?
I have a K engine,, pretty sure 92 bonn, stcok engine, I have alot of parts and stuff from a 93 engine, I am after putting the 93 heads on 92 block. To install rockers and mill heads some. That is point of thread.
mike1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lets get this right so we won't all be confused on how to help answer your questions...

If you have a 92, you have a Vin L ( 8th didget ) L27 EGR'less ....

The 93 engine L27 Vin L, will have the heads with roller fulcrum rockers and allow you to use roller rockers where as the 92 will not..

The Vin K really has no interchangeable parts... The Vin k is the 3800 Series II L36 Naturally aspirated... The Vin K L36 was used from 95-05...

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
mike1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: republic, mo
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mike1053 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
Lets get this right so we won't all be confused on how to help answer your questions...

If you have a 92, you have a Vin L ( 8th didget ) L27 EGR'less ....

The 93 engine L27 Vin L, will have the heads with roller fulcrum rockers and allow you to use roller rockers where as the 92 will not..

The Vin K really has no interchangeable parts... The Vin k is the 3800 Series II L36 Naturally aspirated... The Vin K L36 was used from 95-05...
1G2HX53L2N1302820 is VIN# so I have a L motor,
mike1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: montreal canada NEBF07 ONBF07
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
firebuick is on a distinguished road
Default

after installing my rice pipe and kn 4750 i remove my maf screen also because is was dirty and had a small dent in it after running 2 days whitout it a put it back in because throttle response was not as good and my gaz millage when down .so i just clean it and put back in much better now
firebuick is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A True Friend Indeed Purplehazeir Lounge 3 06-21-2010 02:01 AM
Semper Fi Indeed!! MOS95B Lounge 14 02-14-2005 11:52 PM
Small world indeed BonneMeMN Lounge 7 01-02-2004 04:06 AM
Removing the MAF Screen: Pros and Cons brminder Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 21 12-17-2002 02:01 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.