Holy Smokes!!!! - Page 8 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2004, 08:18 AM   #71
Junior Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2MCHPSI is on a distinguished road
Default

You can wipe out a 02 sensor from doing this.. Like someone mentioned earlier, it is not the cleaner you need to worry about, but the carbon you are cleaning off can damage the sensor..

I have seen some high mileage cars lose compression and get blowby from cleaning the cyl walls off.. Sometimes carbon actually helped with sealing on a tired engine..

Most often though it does work well.. If you are cheap, you can just use water which will give it a "steam clean"also... But once again, the carbon being removed can damage the 02 sensor.
2MCHPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #72
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sauk Centre, MN
Posts: 5,458
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OLBlueEyesBonne is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReDeViL
well.. uhhhh
i did it.... and umm there was minimal smoking... car seems to run a lil better.. course that could all be in my head........ could it be that my engine was alredy fairly clean??? myself and j6 were a lil surprised at the rather anticlimatic finish to this.... we wanted to see some smoke.. or some sign that the engine cleaner was doin somethin.. on a side note.. it smelled kinda cool.......
Yeah, when I did my SSEi there was hardly any smoke, but then again, my sister who was supposed to keep giving it throttle let it kill "...because it felt like it was getting too much gas." There was a little smoke when it first started sucking it in and later when I put the rest in and took it for the heavy throttle run it didn't even smoke at all.
OLBlueEyesBonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #73
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL 1997 SE
Posts: 3,734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
macho_mike21 is on a distinguished road
Default

thats funny, considering Rogue has pretty low mileage and his smoked a ton.
macho_mike21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #74
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Saginaw, MI
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FiReDeViL is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLBlueEyesBonne
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReDeViL
well.. uhhhh
i did it.... and umm there was minimal smoking... car seems to run a lil better.. course that could all be in my head........ could it be that my engine was alredy fairly clean??? myself and j6 were a lil surprised at the rather anticlimatic finish to this.... we wanted to see some smoke.. or some sign that the engine cleaner was doin somethin.. on a side note.. it smelled kinda cool.......
Yeah, when I did my SSEi there was hardly any smoke, but then again, my sister who was supposed to keep giving it throttle let it kill "...because it felt like it was getting too much gas." There was a little smoke when it first started sucking it in and later when I put the rest in and took it for the heavy throttle run it didn't even smoke at all.
that is EXACTLY what mine did... when you were sucking it in the first time what kinda RPM'* did you use? i went w/ the cans instructions and 800-1,000
FiReDeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:38 AM   #75
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio 2000 Black SSEi
Posts: 6,127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_mike21
thats funny, considering Rogue has pretty low mileage and his smoked a ton.
I was running some pretty cold plugs for a while (3 stage cooler). I suppose it is possible carbon built up as the plugs were getting a little sooty but I have run 104s (2 stage cooler) for the past 2K miles and they are staying pretty clean. As lean as I run my engine sometimes I cant imagine a ton of carbon build up in it, but it did smoke like a mother.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #76
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sauk Centre, MN
Posts: 5,458
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OLBlueEyesBonne is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReDeViL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLBlueEyesBonne
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReDeViL
well.. uhhhh
i did it.... and umm there was minimal smoking... car seems to run a lil better.. course that could all be in my head........ could it be that my engine was alredy fairly clean??? myself and j6 were a lil surprised at the rather anticlimatic finish to this.... we wanted to see some smoke.. or some sign that the engine cleaner was doin somethin.. on a side note.. it smelled kinda cool.......
Yeah, when I did my SSEi there was hardly any smoke, but then again, my sister who was supposed to keep giving it throttle let it kill "...because it felt like it was getting too much gas." There was a little smoke when it first started sucking it in and later when I put the rest in and took it for the heavy throttle run it didn't even smoke at all.
that is EXACTLY what mine did... when you were sucking it in the first time what kinda RPM'* did you use? i went w/ the cans instructions and 800-1,000
Well, WHEN it was running I told my sister to keep the rpms between 1500-2000 (this way if the rpms dropped there was room to play with getting the revs back up and it wouldn't choke so easy). When the engine started bogging my sister let off and the engien choked. oh, well, I do notice it does run a *little* smoother in the 3K+ rpms range.
OLBlueEyesBonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:31 AM   #77
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL 1997 SE
Posts: 3,734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
macho_mike21 is on a distinguished road
Default

have you guys noticed any MPG changes?
macho_mike21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #78
Executed
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MikeDiaz is on a distinguished road
Default

With regards to the too little smoke thing:
When we did my cousin'* '90 beretta with ~180k miles, it had medium smoke (still not like that GP in the video) and the smoke was blue grey.

when we did my uncle'* isuzu rodeo, ismoke was blue grey and there was so much that the whole block was covered in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! That car has had a lot of problems though with fuel / emissions so maybe it had lots of buildup.

When we did my '87 bonneville with ~160k miles, there was the least of all the cars in terms of smoke but my cousins say they saw it as one small BLACk cloud of smoke that dissipated quickly.

All the cars trailed smoke for about 2 minutes when we took them for a test drive. I was somewhat dissapointed at the lack of smoke too, but I had done a quickie intake cleaning with Intake Cleaner from my auto parts store a few months back.. I'm not seeing any real improvements yet but I still think it was worth it for 6 bucks. not sure how soon i'd try it again though.

Mike Diaz

p.*. maybe the supercharged ones compress it and thus it gets more gunk out?! haha probably not but oh well.
MikeDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 PM   #79
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL 1997 SE
Posts: 3,734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
macho_mike21 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDiaz
With regards to the too little smoke thing:
When we did my cousin'* '90 beretta with ~180k miles, it had medium smoke (still not like that GP in the video) and the smoke was blue grey.

when we did my uncle'* isuzu rodeo, ismoke was blue grey and there was so much that the whole block was covered in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! That car has had a lot of problems though with fuel / emissions so maybe it had lots of buildup.

When we did my '87 bonneville with ~160k miles, there was the least of all the cars in terms of smoke but my cousins say they saw it as one small BLACk cloud of smoke that dissipated quickly.

All the cars trailed smoke for about 2 minutes when we took them for a test drive. I was somewhat dissapointed at the lack of smoke too, but I had done a quickie intake cleaning with Intake Cleaner from my auto parts store a few months back.. I'm not seeing any real improvements yet but I still think it was worth it for 6 bucks. not sure how soon i'd try it again though.

Mike Diaz

p.*. maybe the supercharged ones compress it and thus it gets more gunk out?! haha probably not but oh well.
the supercharged engines put more fuel in there too
macho_mike21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #80
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bedroom, Ontario
Posts: 3,266
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drifter420 is on a distinguished road
Default

OK.. just had to bring this back to life cause I want to do this this weekend.. and kill my neighbors.. lmao !!! OR I will see if I can do it @ Tamara'* parents place.. neighbor is further.. I will kill the neighbors cows and chicken hee hee.. and it'* on a country back road too.. so woot !! Hopefully they have that stuff @ GM parts around me. I was wondering, I was originally going to get the engine flush that goes into your oil.. but I guess with this step, I no longer have to use the engine flush additives that goes into the oil right? Well.. I will have to make sure I pick up a set of TR55'* again just in case.
Drifter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who smokes? Skippy1827 Lounge 57 10-28-2006 09:55 AM
Holy Smokes Futureboy! 95seand78z28 Lounge 1 06-06-2006 09:39 AM
Holy smokes! smellbird Lounge 3 08-28-2004 07:00 PM
Minivan smokes a Z28. Gotta see it to believe it. MOS95B Lounge 4 03-29-2004 04:54 PM
lawn mower smokes alot L27Buick Lounge 9 08-27-2003 06:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.