1998 custom burn at ZZP - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning Talk about modifications, or anything else associated with performance enhancements. Have a new idea for performance/reliability? Post it here. No idea is stupid! (please use Detailing and Appearance for cosmetic ideas)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL 1997 SE
Posts: 3,734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
macho_mike21 is on a distinguished road
Default

this wont advance or change the timing or A/F ratio? That would free up some extra HP, wouldnt it?
macho_mike21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:18 AM   #12
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Funky Town, Texas
Posts: 333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bigfunkytown is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSSEi
We'll be covering all 1997 through 2003 Bonnevilles by the end of June. 2000 and 2002 is already supported. Our current PCM price is $169.99 plus core plus shipping.

Please email [email protected] for more information.

Scott
First off..... this is not a flame of the guys at Intense .... please don't think that ..... I looked at the Intense site and asked them a few questions about if they could do a PCM for me. The line up I saw on thier site was good to go for the SSEi, but not the SE. I was waiting for a response from Intense to say something back to me so I could add it to this post. As of yet I've only gotten a reply about my cars year to be forwarded, but had heard nothing else from them. For all I know they could be making sure that the product was straight before telling me anything which is cool. (the above news quote is evedence of this). This is why I didn't say anything about the PCM from Intense as far as the L36 was concerned. As a confirmed L36 guy, I try and bring whatever I can find out about upgrades for our cars to both Bonneville and Grand Prix sites as I have one of each. So now with this bit of info, it should be safe to say that even ZZP'* price will come down as well. We will see what happens at the end of June. The reports from the GP site have been fine up to this point in regard to the Intense product. And I can only speak on what I've used to in my expierience. The DHP is a good product. I am curious about the ZZP product as I am the Intense product. This is a situation where the client/customer wins. And for some the $130 dollar difference may be the deciding vote, others may harken to DHP'* claim that thier product is designed to handle more stuff on a plug and play basis. (They have said something about a lot of tweeks).... As it is, my Bonne waits hungrelly.
Bigfunkytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #13
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio 2000 Black SSEi
Posts: 6,127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default

Be careful with the higher shift points and stock valvetrain especially if you have high miles. 1.9 rockers, springs, and OR pushrods would really wake that car up regardless of which PCM you go with, but IMO i would do those first before the custom PCM.

just my 2 copper pieces
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Funky Town, Texas
Posts: 333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bigfunkytown is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
Be careful with the higher shift points and stock valvetrain especially if you have high miles. 1.9 rockers, springs, and OR pushrods would really wake that car up regardless of which PCM you go with, but IMO i would do those first before the custom PCM.

just my 2 copper pieces
I don't know. Anytime you upgrade the valvetrain; its a good thing. I don't see any problem though with the upgraded PCM and stock valve train. True, when ever you push a car past its stock limits; its more prone to breakage, and thats the price you pay for moddifying a car. I've been running ZZP ER rockers and the DHP for over 30,000+ miles on stock springs and pushrods just fine. Now when I go to the cam..... you better believe that the entire upper valvetrain will be a major upgrade and overhaul. But back to the PCM ..... I see no major problems.

Note: the GP has over 197,000+ miles on it.
Bigfunkytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio 2000 Black SSEi
Posts: 6,127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default

It was more of a valve float issue I was thinking of. These cars are heavier than GP'* and once you get reving in the 5800+ range it can be trouble. Weak springs are going to be pretty evident when you start reving that high. All it takes is one snapped spring and a valve hitting a piston and your rebuilding.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #16
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Funky Town, Texas
Posts: 333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bigfunkytown is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
It was more of a valve float issue I was thinking of. These cars are heavier than GP'* and once you get reving in the 5800+ range it can be trouble. Weak springs are going to be pretty evident when you start reving that high. All it takes is one snapped spring and a valve hitting a piston and your rebuilding.
Good point, anytime you put more stress on the engine than it normally gets, then things snap and break. Broken springs very very bad! However; I would think that the tranny would be working harder here due to the extra forces you put through it and not so much the valve train if we're talking about how heavy the car is. I wouldn't worry about getting too deep with an L36 till you did a cam. At that point I'd want to do a lot of major beefing up of the engine. With rockers I'd for sure do a pushrod upgrade with new rocker bolts. But with a PCM I don't see the need unless you run at WOT quite a bit.
Bigfunkytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #17
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio 2000 Black SSEi
Posts: 6,127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfunkytown
But with a PCM I don't see the need unless you run at WOT quite a bit.
I do it every chance I get. Gotta stop this though...gas just hit 2.45 gallon for 94 :(
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Funky Town, Texas
Posts: 333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bigfunkytown is on a distinguished road
Default

Well I made a choice and orderd the PCM from Intense. Just put my order in for one today for my 1998 Bonneville SE. Communication with Scott was excellent! He even helped me find out what PCM to order, (2.89:1 vs. 3.05:1 finnal drive ratios of the Transmissions), I needed the 2.89 by the way. On top of that he let me know that it shipped out today as well and gave me a tracking number to boot. Scott will be getting more of my money in the futer fo sho![] Seems they have done thier home work. I'll let you guys know what kind of performance improvement I see and feel as soon as I get some data for you guys.

Let me add this as well, and this is no knock against DHP because they do fine work as well. The price that I was quoted by ZZP was $300 dollars U.*. The price I paid out to Intense was $280 dollars. This inclued shipping and core charge as well. I get part of that back when I get the $100 core back from them. So my total out of pocket will be $180.
Bigfunkytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio 2000 Black SSEi
Posts: 6,127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfunkytown
Well I made a choice and orderd the PCM from Intense. Just put my order in for one today for my 1998 Bonneville SE. Communication with Scott was excellent! He even helped me find out what PCM to order, (2.89:1 vs. 3.05:1 finnal drive ratios of the Transmissions), I needed the 2.89 by the way. On top of that he let me know that it shipped out today as well and gave me a tracking number to boot. Scott will be getting more of my money in the futer fo sho![] Seems they have done thier home work. I'll let you guys know what kind of performance improvement I see and feel as soon as I get some data for you guys.

Let me add this as well, and this is no knock against DHP because they do fine work as well. The price that I was quoted by ZZP was $300 dollars U.*. The price I paid out to Intense was $280 dollars. This inclued shipping and core charge as well. I get part of that back when I get the $100 core back from them. So my total out of pocket will be $180.
Update us on how this goes
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little Burn Out JimmyJames83 Your Other Rides: Pics & Videos 3 05-03-2004 10:12 AM
Burn hydrogen peroxide in 1liter = 1,500HP TaylorD Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 7 02-25-2004 04:49 AM
Do you burn more gas when you...... ssesc93 General GM Chat 10 02-07-2004 12:17 AM
Time to burn some discs MOS95B Lounge 9 12-17-2003 04:20 PM
Oxygen Sensor Burn Out bonnieboy23 1987-1991 11 04-10-2003 11:29 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.