INFL.REST light on. How do i fix it/turn it off?(1992 olds 88) - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Oldsmobile When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
porksoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clovis NM
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
porksoda is on a distinguished road
Question INFL.REST light on. How do i fix it/turn it off?(1992 olds 88)

Well ever since I got my car the INFL.REST light has been on in my dash. I am wondering how do i make it go away?
Where could i start to track down the problem.
I scan the car but all i get to pull up is code 42 but thats for my electric spark timing problem(cam sensor).
Any ideas?

Thanks!
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

My first thought was to tell you to remove the bulb, but that would not fix the underlying problem. My fear is there may be an underlying problem that may cause your airbags not to go off in an accident. I would have the car scanned with a scanner capable of reading chassis codes. These codes will not show up on a normal OBD I scanner, or if you use the paper clip method of checking codes.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
porksoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clovis NM
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
porksoda is on a distinguished road
Default

Well I scanned the car with the whole paper clip thing and still nothing.
I tried pulling the fuse under the dash for the "Infl. Rest" and it did not do anything.
Any ideas?

Is my only option the stealership?
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

The paper clip method will not read chassis codes.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
porksoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clovis NM
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
porksoda is on a distinguished road
Default

So the car needs to be scanned by a special scanner I assume?
Is it on because of somekind of "impact sensor" some on or around the frame?
Any way i can diagnois it myself?
Thanks for the help!
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

I honestly don't know if the problem will be detected by a scan. When trying to diagnose difficult problems I always try to start with the easy stuff that has a 10% probability of finding the solution before I do the difficult stuff that has a 90% chance of finding the solution. I am giving you generic reponses because I don't have a factory service manual for your car. We need someone with an FSM to look this up for you.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
2kg4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,804
Thanked 220 Times in 181 Posts
2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of2kg4u has much to be proud of
Default

If you are going to work on your car and maintain it yourself, you may want to buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...item563d81795a
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Wipers wont turn off, no Turn Signals, door lock won't work, etc methatswho Pontiac 3 03-15-2015 09:26 PM
Check engine light is on. (1992 Olds 88) How to scan? porksoda General GM Chat 1 09-09-2010 06:00 PM
Check Gages-BRAKE light, trac off light, and Antilock light all on MissRockstar04 2000-2005 9 07-07-2009 05:12 PM
My headlights dont turn off EVEN WITH foglights off Hans Everything Electrical & Electronic 19 01-26-2007 09:27 PM
3rd brake light fine, but not the rest... G2SSEi95 Lounge 4 04-21-2006 01:47 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.