Winter is here - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cheyenne, Wy.
Posts: 1,251
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gojo83 is on a distinguished road
Default

she locked the car with the key fob and then somewhere between there and after the trip to lowes in the truck and back home they disappeared.
gojo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jack is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37 View Post
PS.. for all ya cool guys with big ole tires on your trucks. Keep in mind that big tires, no matter their tread ... will ride on top of the snow and not cut their way through to pavement. They may dig in mud and even help you get moving...typically they increase stopping distance though.
you got it Boosty. Plus alot of mud tires don't have much siping so while they dig down in the snow real good they can lack traction on ice. I hate the idiots that think they're invincible just because they have a jacked 4x4 and give us responsible ones a bad name.

I personally can't wait to see how the new Yoko Geolanders I have on Overland will do in the snow, she was a beast in all weather with the Toyo Open Countrys, but my Yoko'* are one size taller
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Administratus Emeritus
Certified Car Nut
 
GXP Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Purgatory, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,538
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
GXP Venom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthurs View Post
Rule 2, everyone on the road is a idiot, so think the worst when you see another car.
(chuckle) I think this should be Rule 1. Winter. snow, poor visibility makes for confused distracted drivers. You never know what somebody else is going to do, and you need to double your defensive driving mindset. Practicing this and the forethought that every trip out is a road test and challenges are waiting everywhere helps.

I lived the big tires/gotta have more traction mindset back in the late '70s. Had a 76 Dodge shortbed I put the white spokes and monster tires on new. Gotta be Snow Killer right? Wrong!. While they looked awesome, helped in dry and mud conditions. They are useless in the snow. totally useless. I put the OEM'* back on and what a difference. Always changed them back come first sign of winter afterwards.
GXP Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Senior Member

True Car Nut
 
sseidriver97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage mi
Posts: 7,124
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sseidriver97 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP Venom View Post
(chuckle) I think this should be Rule 1. Winter. snow, poor visibility makes for confused distracted drivers. You never know what somebody else is going to do, and you need to double your defensive driving mindset. Practicing this and the forethought that every trip out is a road test and challenges are waiting everywhere helps.

I lived the big tires/gotta have more traction mindset back in the late '70s. Had a 76 Dodge shortbed I put the white spokes and monster tires on new. Gotta be Snow Killer right? Wrong!. While they looked awesome, helped in dry and mud conditions. They are useless in the snow. totally useless. I put the OEM'* back on and what a difference. Always changed them back come first sign of winter afterwards.
yeah i know theyre so wide they just ride on top of stuff in stead of cutting through it
sseidriver97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
SignOfZeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 2,284
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
SignOfZeta has a spectacular aura aboutSignOfZeta has a spectacular aura about
Default

This is going to be my sixth winter in this car. One thing I've learned (other than common sense and caution): tires make the difference.

One November, I got brand new all-season tires, and the car chewed through blizzards. The following year on the same tires (and plenty of tread), it was a little more slippery than I remember.

That'* why I've been scooting around on these balding ones for a couple months. I'll get new tires just after Thanksgiving, and put fresh tread to the snow. As long as winter waits until December like it tends to around here, I'll be happy.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
SpinEm_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wentzville, Missouri
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SpinEm_90 is on a distinguished road
Default

I hate winter. It kills me every morning knowing that I'm risking my car even more then usual with the stupid idiot drivers round here. My car is amazing when it comes to handling so I'm not worried bout me nearly as much as I'm worried about other drivers. We have really bad ice around here so I try not to go out when theres a bunch of ice. I'll prob be walking or driven to work a few times this winter bcuz I'll be too scared to take the monte out
SpinEm_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
This is going to be my sixth winter in this car. One thing I've learned (other than common sense and caution): tires make the difference.

One November, I got brand new all-season tires, and the car chewed through blizzards. The following year on the same tires (and plenty of tread), it was a little more slippery than I remember.

That'* why I've been scooting around on these balding ones for a couple months. I'll get new tires just after Thanksgiving, and put fresh tread to the snow. As long as winter waits until December like it tends to around here, I'll be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinEm_90 View Post
I hate winter. It kills me every morning knowing that I'm risking my car even more then usual with the stupid idiot drivers round here. My car is amazing when it comes to handling so I'm not worried bout me nearly as much as I'm worried about other drivers. We have really bad ice around here so I try not to go out when theres a bunch of ice. I'll prob be walking or driven to work a few times this winter bcuz I'll be too scared to take the monte out
Here'* something I'd like to say to both of you, especially the first quoted post. **Get winter tires!*

All season tires are practically useless in the snow, and definitely in the ice once they start to wear down. Anything past half tread depth is going to make them damn near pointless to drive with. Get some winter tires on there. Not only do they increase your stopping distance, they also increase your cornering (and therefore evasive) abilities. If you see a car coming at you out of control, the last you can do is know that you do have control and can swerve out of the way.

It might sound more expensive, but its really not. Your all seasons will wear down anyway in the winter, so all you're doing is getting two sets of tires that will each wear as you use them. Your winter tires will last more winters, and your all seasons will last more during the other 3 seasons. In addition, you would normally get rid of your all seasons perhaps sooner than the legal limit due to them being dangerous to drive with in the snow. If you keep them for spring, summer, and fall, you'll get the most life out of them. One could even argue that you would wear out all season tires more quickly in the winter due to the lower traction you have using them.
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #18
rkm
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
rkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkm is on a distinguished road
Default

Nothing beats good winter tires on your car. Put them on all 4 corners. If you just run them on the front you run the possiblity of the front hooking up and the backend braking loose.
I had that happen the first winter I drove my old Bonneville. And that was the last time that happened.
Went and got 2 winters for the back right after that.
Since then I can go just about anywhere I want. Our road hardly ever gets plowed,and it'* like a roller coaster.
rkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jack is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree, I felt just as comfortable in my old Bonne with her FWD and 4 snow tires as I do in any of my 4WD trucks/jeeps of course I do appreaciate ground clearance when the snow breaks the 16" mark and wind is making drifts
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
rkm
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
rkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkm is on a distinguished road
Default

Well in the case of 16" deep snow I break out the F250 4x4 diesel and make tracks...lol
rkm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter is almost here... CJCroel Lounge 2 11-04-2007 06:17 PM
Winter is here!!!!! 92BonneSE Lounge 0 01-21-2007 04:20 PM
Oh you gotta see these... WINTER IS HERE! gm4life Your Ride: GM Pictures & Videos 12 12-04-2005 03:56 PM
Winter is here, time for a FIREPLACE crzydmnd72 Lounge 3 12-12-2004 11:12 PM
GTO's are here-Here's proof lash92ssei Your Ride: GM Pictures & Videos 19 08-26-2003 11:21 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.