So, why are our kids so fat again?..... - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2004, 04:10 AM   #1
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default So, why are our kids so fat again?.....

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...015492,00.html

Quote:
A secondary school has banned footballs from the playground after deeming them too dangerous.
This is a British paper, so they mean Soccer Balls....
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
94 SSE with Sizzle is on a distinguished road
Default

Figures, it had to be a woman!
94 SSE with Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Right in front of you
Posts: 7,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSE14U24ME is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 SSE with Sizzle
Figures, it had to be a woman!
Watch it there. Women like to play with balls too you know. Don't be so sexist!
SSE14U24ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas - yet again...
Posts: 652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kazuki is on a distinguished road
Default

I never did like sports playing with balls an sweating just was not my thing
kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Right in front of you
Posts: 7,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSE14U24ME is on a distinguished road
Default

When I was growing up we didn't have video games,etc. We had to play outside and use our imagination. I remember kick the can, flag football, softball, archery, tennis,etc. I use to always be involved to some type of dance class, aerobics, sports, and we use to have gym class. I don't think most schools make kids take gym anymore. And going to McDonalds was a rare treat- now it seems like a regular family time meal. We can't blame fast food places for America'* weight problem. We can only blame ourselves for not taking time to make decent meals at home and getting the family to move more instead of watching mindless tv. I do watch some tv but I try to watch Discovery channel and shows that might teach me something. There are just a few comedies that I watch because I love to laugh.
SSE14U24ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
94 SSE with Sizzle is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE14U24ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 SSE with Sizzle
Figures, it had to be a woman!
Watch it there. Women like to play with balls too you know. Don't be so sexist!
I love women that play w/ balls! Mia Hamm, The Williams sisters, etc. What did you think I ment?
94 SSE with Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Right in front of you
Posts: 7,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSE14U24ME is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 SSE with Sizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE14U24ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 SSE with Sizzle
Figures, it had to be a woman!
Watch it there. Women like to play with balls too you know. Don't be so sexist!
I love women that play w/ balls! Mia Hamm, The Williams sisters, etc. What did you think I ment?
Volley Balls are fun, and punching bags are kind of like balls. Golf balls are annoying. I mean really, hitting a little ball on a big green course and then chasing it around trying to make it go in a little hole.
SSE14U24ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas - yet again...
Posts: 652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kazuki is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE14U24ME
I don't think most schools make kids take gym anymore. And going to McDonalds was a rare treat- now it seems like a regular family time meal.
I had to take pe from 1st-8th grades then in 9th an 12th I had pe also, but how things will be by the time I have a kid who knows the school systems are falling apart, as for the fast food I dont have that luxury either I have to cook almost every night
kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,978
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Princess Jeanie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE14U24ME

Volley Balls are fun, and punching bags are kind of like balls. Golf balls are annoying. I mean really, hitting a little ball on a big green course and then chasing it around trying to make it go in a little hole.
Never did get golf , silly game really....
Princess Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 604
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ratmfan2118 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE14U24ME
When I was growing up we didn't have video games,etc. We had to play outside and use our imagination. I remember kick the can, flag football, softball, archery, tennis,etc. I use to always be involved to some type of dance class, aerobics, sports, and we use to have gym class. I don't think most schools make kids take gym anymore. And going to McDonalds was a rare treat- now it seems like a regular family time meal. We can't blame fast food places for America'* weight problem. We can only blame ourselves for not taking time to make decent meals at home and getting the family to move more instead of watching mindless tv. I do watch some tv but I try to watch Discovery channel and shows that might teach me something. There are just a few comedies that I watch because I love to laugh.

I dont think its the video games that are the problems but the parents. I had video games when I was a kid and I still went out to play and played a lot of those games you mentioned and more its about Parents setting limits and encouraging other games, In my education classes we are taught to limit rather then outright ban because outright ban when all thier friends have one makes it more attractive. As for PE in schools unfortunatly that has become the trend with most schools, while gym, art, history and band are getting cut more room is being made for science and math I agree these subjects have some importance but not as much as everybody makes it out to be I had to take Math up until gr 12 and the last two years were useless, I would have been better off with forced Gym that taught healthy eating and lifestyles etc.
ratmfan2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love fat kids MNwonderboy Lounge 2 12-01-2006 04:27 PM
Why my kids won't go to our public schools... theJMFC Lounge 21 09-23-2005 04:16 AM
As if our kids don't watch the TV enough givemebreak Lounge 5 07-06-2004 01:39 AM
why !!! why !!! why !!! rrounds 2000-2005 18 03-03-2004 01:39 PM
WHY WHY WHY?? bonnie94ssei Lounge 36 09-25-2003 05:53 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.