Parting My Bonneville - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chr0mius is on a distinguished road
Default Parting My Bonneville

The insurance has given me the option of keeping my car for a nominal fee, so I've decided to keep the car. I am going to sell it as is or part it out, as long as I can make up the money and maybe a little bit extra that it costs to keep. If anyone is interested I'd put a priority on buyers from the BC. I'm not saying it'* for sale yet, but if I got some interest, I would definately put it up for sale here. If I can't sell it for enough, I'll be parting it out (here first, then elsewhere). What do you guys think?
The damage is cosmetic, and it needs a radiator mount, the frame is not bent. I'd have a detailed list of damage from the shop for the prospective buyer.
chr0mius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Administrator








Certified Car Nut
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 15,649
Thanked 1,001 Times in 777 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

If you keep it and sell it as a "whole", the title will be tarnished. I say gut it and sell it for parts.

My opinion, keep the engine and trans, strip em down, beef em up with performance parts and sell them.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chr0mius is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1995
If you keep it and sell it as a "whole", the title will be tarnished. I say gut it and sell it for parts.

My opinion, keep the engine and trans, strip em down, beef em up with performance parts and sell them.
I'm not mechanically gifted. I would just part it out and have what I couldn't sell towed to a junkyard.
chr0mius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester, NY (college)
Posts: 6,182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
corvettecrazy is on a distinguished road
Default

Welp, I guess the first thing you need to do is post the RPO list so we can see what the car has.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Berkeley, IL
Posts: 1,596
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DarkShadow is on a distinguished road
Default

you know insurance companies dont always brand a title after a total

my mercury was totaled out last december from my accident and it still has a clear IL title
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chr0mius is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow
you know insurance companies dont always brand a title after a total

my mercury was totaled out last december from my accident and it still has a clear IL title
No, they said it will have a salvaged title if we keep it. That'* why I'm going to part it out or sell it.
chr0mius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chr0mius is on a distinguished road
Default

Can anyone tell me if I would be able to get ~$600 or more for this car (in parts, or the entire thing itself), as it is. Mechanically it is pristine, the interior is nice (except for the driver seat which has wear). I could sell pretty much everything on it except for the hood/damaged fenders/bumper. It'* an SLE, new HVAC programmer and A/C compressor, engine runs beautifully and transmission was replaced so it'* about 60kmi old and shifts incredibly well. I'm not sure if I should keep it only because it might be hard to get my money back for it, and to get rid of it once it'* all parted.
chr0mius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mcallen TX
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paco.McGraw is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey man, Im not really sure of all the damage but you said the frame is unbent so all you would need is a trip to the junk yards to get a bumper, fenders, headlight(*), a radiator mount and maybe a few other things. I wish I could get that car from you and use parts from mine to fix yours up. Its in much better condition than mine is and just needs a little work. The reason the insurance doesnt want to fix it is cause the car is more than 5 years old and isnt cost effective to them. I know that alot of the people here would be willing to help talk you through fixing it yourself and you would be back on the road again in less than a day. It may look ghetto for a while intil you get it painted but you could get everything on the car and when you are ready to paint it, have the body shop align the hood correctly and youre all set. My bonneville has been crashed twice and Ive always been able to salvage it with the help of junkyards and a local body shop that I know the owner of. Its a 92 se with the back of a 96 sse and the front of a 94 se along with many parts from other junked cars. Obviously its your choice, but Id keep the car and fix it up. I would give you more than 600 bucks for it if its still running good.

Sam
Paco.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chr0mius is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco.McGraw
Hey man, Im not really sure of all the damage but you said the frame is unbent so all you would need is a trip to the junk yards to get a bumper, fenders, headlight(*), a radiator mount and maybe a few other things. I wish I could get that car from you and use parts from mine to fix yours up. Its in much better condition than mine is and just needs a little work. The reason the insurance doesnt want to fix it is cause the car is more than 5 years old and isnt cost effective to them. I know that alot of the people here would be willing to help talk you through fixing it yourself and you would be back on the road again in less than a day. It may look ghetto for a while intil you get it painted but you could get everything on the car and when you are ready to paint it, have the body shop align the hood correctly and youre all set. My bonneville has been crashed twice and Ive always been able to salvage it with the help of junkyards and a local body shop that I know the owner of. Its a 92 se with the back of a 96 sse and the front of a 94 se along with many parts from other junked cars. Obviously its your choice, but Id keep the car and fix it up. I would give you more than 600 bucks for it if its still running good.

Sam
I'm not keeping it because after the salvage title it will not be worth as much as it once was. I'd rather just invest my money in a new(er) car. Also, I have almost 0 time available to work on my car.
chr0mius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 PM   #10
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mcallen TX
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paco.McGraw is on a distinguished road
Default

Damn I wish I had a way to get over there and get your car. If I could Id give you $750 cash and take the car off your hands tonight. From south Texas to anywhere in California is one hell of a drive that I cant make right now and a plane ticket will cost me too much...Id love to have your car.

Sam
Paco.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on Parting out wjcollier07 General GM Chat 13 05-08-2007 03:35 PM
Parting Out 95 Monte BonteVille Lounge 2 09-20-2006 11:50 PM
Parting with my '95 SSEi 67Goat Introductions for new members 20 07-03-2006 11:14 PM
parting out gaming desktop LittleHoov Lounge 20 01-24-2006 07:59 PM
Parting out SSE SSE001 1987-1991 10 11-15-2003 07:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.