Limited Slip rear-ends - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vital49 is on a distinguished road
Default Limited Slip rear-ends

Does anybody know what the Limited Slip additive is used for in Limited Slip rear-ends?
vital49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Waterloo, NY
Posts: 809
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swartlkk is on a distinguished road
Default

I believe it'* just a friction modifier that allows the clutches in the limited slip diff to grab instead of just slipping due to the gear oils lubricity.

If you wanted to know specifically what it is, I don't know the answer to that question.
swartlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vital49 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
I believe it'* just a friction modifier that allows the clutches in the limited slip diff to grab instead of just slipping due to the gear oils lubricity.

If you wanted to know specifically what it is, I don't know the answer to that question.
LOL. Ya, I'm still pretty lost myself!! Never understood what it really does.

We need some gear heads in here!!
vital49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Three Oaks, Michigan
Posts: 4,879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opensourceguy is on a distinguished road
Default

Okay, an LSD keeps one wheel from turning freely. Like if you had one wheel stuck on ice, and the other on dry pavement, the one on ice will spin freely.. because the power will find the easiest route out. For 1/4 mile racers, this is good for hooking up, and getting better traction, and of course, lower E.T'*. The LSD is usually a clutch pack, that decreases the free movement, but still doesn't lock up the differtial. There are some gear type LSD'*, but I think only one or two companies make them, and they are much more expensive. The clutch packs wear out eventually, if you had a '60s Pontiac with the Posi-Traction today, with 100,000 miles.. it would be shot, and pretty much worthless, hence the invention of the gear type LSD. Hope that helps, i'm sure some of the gear heads can explain it better, but that is the general concept.


-justin
opensourceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vital49 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensourceguy
Okay, an LSD keeps one wheel from turning freely. Like if you had one wheel stuck on ice, and the other on dry pavement, the one on ice will spin freely.. because the power will find the easiest route out. For 1/4 mile racers, this is good for hooking up, and getting better traction, and of course, lower E.T'*. The LSD is usually a clutch pack, that decreases the free movement, but still doesn't lock up the differtial. There are some gear type LSD'*, but I think only one or two companies make them, and they are much more expensive. The clutch packs wear out eventually, if you had a '60s Pontiac with the Posi-Traction today, with 100,000 miles.. it would be shot, and pretty much worthless, hence the invention of the gear type LSD. Hope that helps, i'm sure some of the gear heads can explain it better, but that is the general concept.


-justin
I understand the concept and how it works. I want to know why the special additive is required!
vital49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
repinS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensourceguy
The LSD is usually a clutch pack, that decreases the free movement, but still doesn't lock up the differtial.
Yep. I'm pretty sure the Cressida'* (*points at sig*) 4.10 LSD rear end'* clutches were just about shot. I never found out whether they were or not. The thing was a bit low on diff fluid before it was pawned off, there'd be this wicked gear whistle in 2nd gear though

... and the gear whine, not sure from the tranny or diff. That whine was to die for, almost like L67 whine
repinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Three Oaks, Michigan
Posts: 4,879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opensourceguy is on a distinguished road
Default

better traction.. that'* the "special additive." Better traction = lower et


-justin
opensourceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Waterloo, NY
Posts: 809
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swartlkk is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
I believe it'* just a friction modifier that allows the clutches in the limited slip diff to grab instead of just slipping due to the gear oils lubricity.
I believe I answered the question in my first post. I know exactly what a LSD does and the various different types. The reason why you need an additive in a LSD is because of the clutches that are in about 90% of all LSD'*. The gear oil by itself allows the clutches to slip too much, thus keeping them from doing their job of close to equal power to both rear wheels. The additive is a friction modifier to allow the clutches to grab. The additive itself, though related to the ability of the rear wheels to get equal power, has nothing to do with traction.
swartlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Ol' Timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey - Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted
Posts: 1,483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ol' Timer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Limited Slip rear-ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital49
Does anybody know what the Limited Slip additive is used for in Limited Slip rear-ends?
One of these maybe? Amsoil makes one and Lubeguard the other.



Ol' Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Three Oaks, Michigan
Posts: 4,879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opensourceguy is on a distinguished road
Default

OH!! haha I get it now. Sorry, didn't understand the question.


-justin
opensourceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a limited slip final drive available? NERV Lounge 2 04-30-2007 07:26 AM
My 2 Flagships plus Nice rear ends!! auroralover Your Ride: GM Pictures & Videos 12 07-04-2006 12:34 AM
INTENSE Third Gen Limited Slip Differential now available! Rogue Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 8 02-06-2006 11:40 AM
Thinking of Limited Slip SSEimatt93 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 4 10-31-2005 09:58 PM
Limited Slip Diffs, 4T60-E F31's glanghus 1992-1999 0 03-25-2004 06:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.