I didn't think it was possible - Page 3 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #21
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Genoa, Illinois
Posts: 4,013
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allmachtige is on a distinguished road
Default

LOL!!! I think I left that in the toilet once.
Allmachtige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jwakamud is on a distinguished road
Default

hm. it reminds me of a cross between a Nissan Titan and the bad guy from Resident Evil 2.

im torn on the interior. on the one side its disgusting with all the wood crap. but i like the styling.
jwakamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #23
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ladysmith B.C. Canada
Posts: 620
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JMH1950 is on a distinguished road
Default

Let'* get one thing straight, that is not a truck.

A real truck has either a bench seat or split seats, there is NO back seat in a truck.
A real truck has a box 8 ft long and 5 ft wide. It will carry a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells with the tail gate closed.
A real truck will carry whatever you decide to put in the box.
The only time you can't see the top of the wheels in a real truck is when the truck is fully loaded. (a low rider is not a truck).
A real truck has 8 cylinders, with a manual transmission. Sissy trucks have automatics.
If you have a real truck, a few scratches and dents add character and show that you are not afraid to use the truck as intendend.


Just my humble opinon as a truck driver/owner
JMH1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #24
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
radomirthegreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 4,606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
radomirthegreat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH1950
Let'* get one thing straight, that is not a truck.

A real truck has either a bench seat or split seats, there is NO back seat in a truck.
A real truck has a box 8 ft long and 5 ft wide. It will carry a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells with the tail gate closed.
A real truck will carry whatever you decide to put in the box.
The only time you can't see the top of the wheels in a real truck is when the truck is fully loaded. (a low rider is not a truck).
A real truck has 8 cylinders, with a manual transmission. Sissy trucks have automatics.
If you have a real truck, a few scratches and dents add character and show that you are not afraid to use the truck as intendend.


Just my humble opinon as a truck driver/owner
radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #25
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In your garage, swipin' da lug nutz
Posts: 3,067
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sandrock is on a distinguished road
Default

Name:  stool.gif
Views: 0
Size:  13.2 KB

Guages look very Econoline blended with 1980-1987 F-series info centers.
sandrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #26
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
radomirthegreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 4,606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
radomirthegreat is on a distinguished road
Default

This is really ugly. I know I'm posting again, but I just really have to write this. It reminds me of few things I've seen before, and yet it'* so uniquely ugly. This in no way looks like a locomotive - more like a train wreck. Whatt has Ford styling done to help progress? Nothing! If I had the money, I'd buy out Ford just to shut it down purely because it'* gotten this bad. I so dearly hope this does not hit the market. There'* nothing like such horrible styling to ruin a perfectly good headlight/tail light design series. What'* wrong with the styles we've had so far?
radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #27
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrCheeto is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radomirthegreat
This is really ugly. I know I'm posting again, but I just really have to write this. It reminds me of few things I've seen before, and yet it'* so uniquely ugly. This in no way looks like a locomotive - more like a train wreck. Whatt has Ford styling done to help progress? Nothing! If I had the money, I'd buy out Ford just to shut it down purely because it'* gotten this bad. I so dearly hope this does not hit the market. There'* nothing like such horrible styling to ruin a perfectly good headlight/tail light design series. What'* wrong with the styles we've had so far?

Ignorance is bliss...?....!


It'* a CONCEPT. Concepts NEVER hit the market looking the way they originally did. I, being a die hard Ford guy, will say that thing makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork, but you can bet your bottom dollar that will never see the light of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radomirthegreat
Whatt has Ford styling done to help progress? Nothing!
Oh Really? Nothing? Let'* take a look back at a certain car, which was revealed to the public in 1985.... It was unlike ANYTHING on the market, and critics scoffed at it, and yet it became a common household name and went on to reign the sales charts for more than
20 years....



You may think the Taurus is junk, or you may like it, but many people laughed at it and said nobody would buy it, yet there hasn't been an American designed family sedan yet that can even come CLOSE to it'* sales numbers.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by radomirthegreat
If I had the money, I'd buy out Ford just to shut it down purely because it'* gotten this bad.
What'* gotten this bad? I used to be ignorant just like you. You don't like Ford. We get it. I don't particularly care for GM, but I've owned plenty, (including 3 Bonnevilles which I loved) and I'm not here to bash any particular car manufacturer.

Bottom line. That truck is about innovation. Innovation as in people dreaming of what the future might be like. You may think its ugly, and hell, I do too, but making stupid comments like "I would buy Ford out to stop things like this" is just ignorant. You can't judge a concept, because thats exactly what it is. a CONCEPT.

Ok. I'm going to stop ranting now, I just hate ignorance when It comes to cars. Everybody is supposed to have an opinion, but stupid comments just turn my rant switch on.
DrCheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #28
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
radomirthegreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 4,606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
radomirthegreat is on a distinguished road
Default

I've actually never turned on any rant switches before, so I'm almost honored right now. Thanks, I think. Also, the Taurus probably didn't sell because of looks. Perhaps Ford designs cars as it does to be cost effective first and stylish second, but neither helps sell Tauruses and Sables. Actually, my mom used to drive a Sable almost daily for about 4 years with regular all-fluid changing, but one day it decided to screw up its circuitry for the oxygen sensors so that no O2 sensor worked at all, and then the IAC and MAF sensors stopped functioning. Most emissions-oriented electronics stopped functioning, and a cable that opens & closes valves broke. The car ran rich, and both catalytic converters got thrashed.

Ford conveniently made the exhaust manifold 2.5" to the catalytic converters and then went down to 2.25" for the flex pipe. The resonator has 2.25" in and 2" out, then it splits with a 2.25" pipe to dual mufflers with 2.25" in and 2.5" out. The catalytic converters are arranged so that only the dealership, as far as I know, can custom-make new ones. These days, it'* about $500 for the converters, and no exhaust shop sells such insanely angled piping that goes to such tiny converters as this. What a terrible shame. Otherwise, the car seems to be doing all right in between repairs.

I'm not going to go into the hassle-free 1976 Olds 98 2-door coupe (455 ci V, white with a white soft top and white leather interior with dark wood trim that my dad owned from ~92-98, the fairly easygoing Buick Century, Oldsmobile Alero, and so on that worked just fine. We bought a brand new Hyundai Elantra wagon sedan in 99, and the first month we had it, the transmission went out. There are pictures here of me working on my 84 Bonneville to replace the fender, paint engine parts, replace some aluminum bracket, and so on. In the background for some of them is either the Sable with its intake manifold removed so that we can reach the spark plugs or the Ford Aerostar up on jack stands to have various repairs done to it. We're currently working to replace the rear end again because 30K miles of a 140hp Ford V6 is too much for those gears.

Just because the Taurus (and probably Sable) sold so well does not mean that Ford should get special recognition as a styling master (or entrepreneur). Plenty of bad products sell well for one or some of many reasons vaguely explained in most entry-level business or economics books, classes, and broadcasts of professionals speaking to college crowds. I've most likely typed to much, but one more thing:

You asked "What'* gotten this bad?" I meant to say that Ford'* styling has gotten this bad because it'* straying from the norm in quite a lot of things in that concept. Car ideas go through seemingly too many drawing phases, clay model phases, and things of that nature before they're taken to the concept vehicle level, and so few make it. I assumed that the avoidance of tail lights to go to stripes across the tail gate in that particular model probably wasn't unique to that model in the stylists' minds. Considering this, I was afraid that idea, among some more shown in that concept and some others, might actually come to fruition. That'* what I believe is the styling getting to be so bad.

radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vital49 is on a distinguished road
Default

Let'* cool it down in here. There'* no need to bash another member'* opinions.
vital49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #30
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrCheeto is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radomirthegreat
I've actually never turned on any rant switches before, so I'm almost honored right now. Thanks, I think. Also, the Taurus probably didn't sell because of looks. Perhaps Ford designs cars as it does to be cost effective first and stylish second, but neither helps sell Tauruses and Sables. Actually, my mom used to drive a Sable almost daily for about 4 years with regular all-fluid changing, but one day it decided to screw up its circuitry for the oxygen sensors so that no O2 sensor worked at all, and then the IAC and MAF sensors stopped functioning. Most emissions-oriented electronics stopped functioning, and a cable that opens & closes valves broke. The car ran rich, and both catalytic converters got thrashed.

Ford conveniently made the exhaust manifold 2.5" to the catalytic converters and then went down to 2.25" for the flex pipe. The resonator has 2.25" in and 2" out, then it splits with a 2.25" pipe to dual mufflers with 2.25" in and 2.5" out. The catalytic converters are arranged so that only the dealership, as far as I know, can custom-make new ones. These days, it'* about $500 for the converters, and no exhaust shop sells such insanely angled piping that goes to such tiny converters as this. What a terrible shame. Otherwise, the car seems to be doing all right in between repairs.

I'm not going to go into the hassle-free 1976 Olds 98 2-door coupe (455 ci V, white with a white soft top and white leather interior with dark wood trim that my dad owned from ~92-98, the fairly easygoing Buick Century, Oldsmobile Alero, and so on that worked just fine. We bought a brand new Hyundai Elantra wagon sedan in 99, and the first month we had it, the transmission went out. There are pictures here of me working on my 84 Bonneville to replace the fender, paint engine parts, replace some aluminum bracket, and so on. In the background for some of them is either the Sable with its intake manifold removed so that we can reach the spark plugs or the Ford Aerostar up on jack stands to have various repairs done to it. We're currently working to replace the rear end again because 30K miles of a 140hp Ford V6 is too much for those gears.

Just because the Taurus (and probably Sable) sold so well does not mean that Ford should get special recognition as a styling master (or entrepreneur). Plenty of bad products sell well for one or some of many reasons vaguely explained in most entry-level business or economics books, classes, and broadcasts of professionals speaking to college crowds. I've most likely typed to much, but one more thing:

You asked "What'* gotten this bad?" I meant to say that Ford'* styling has gotten this bad because it'* straying from the norm in quite a lot of things in that concept. Car ideas go through seemingly too many drawing phases, clay model phases, and things of that nature before they're taken to the concept vehicle level, and so few make it. I assumed that the avoidance of tail lights to go to stripes across the tail gate in that particular model probably wasn't unique to that model in the stylists' minds. Considering this, I was afraid that idea, among some more shown in that concept and some others, might actually come to fruition. That'* what I believe is the styling getting to be so bad.


Actually, you say the Taurus didn't sell because of looks, yet that'* entirely wrong. People bought it because it was styled radically, It had a quality build (for the time, the 80'* we're bad for everyone),and it was modestly priced.

It was completely radical, and pretty much shaped the market for the next ten years. Everyone tried to copy it, if you read about the Accord, Honda designers used styling cues on the 90 Accord from the Taurus, there are a few other manufacturers who blatantly admitted using the taurus as a styling cue, but I can't find the articles right now.

And ok, now you made your post a little more clear, I wasn't per se mad at you, I just get mad when I hear people judge companies with little or no fact. (not just Ford, they just happened to be the one who came up this time).

It'* no big deal, I was just trying to say sometimes something INCREDIBLY radical is just what the market is looking for.


Also, I assume the Sable you are talking about is a 96-99 and has a Duratec? If the IRMC cable breaks, it'* going to take the cats with it... The cable usually only breaks on poorly maintained motors when the butterflies gum up...
DrCheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I didn't think it was possible... SpinEm_90 Lounge 16 07-10-2010 11:52 PM
Why didn't I think of this??? MOS95B Lounge 10 04-23-2006 10:30 PM
Dang, why didn't I think of this.... MOS95B Lounge 22 03-22-2005 01:21 AM
Didn't think it would make much difference. master3rd Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 9 09-04-2004 09:11 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.